“Bad experience! Arrogant service!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mama's Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Mama's Place
“Bad experience! Arrogant service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stay here for 3-4 days. The service here was very poor especially at their restaurant @ cafe. I wait for almost 1 hour but no one comes to serve me. For the second day, I came and sit, then a waiter gives me the menu. After I made my decision of food, I called them but suddenly they saif they want to close already.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank zak2one

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

In contrast to many other of the medium-priced Perhentian resorts, Mama's doesn't seem to have raised their prices much over the years I've been coming here. Aziz gave me the last room in the place (I was a refugee from watercolours next door, great restaurant; awful rooms). I was so happy to get a room on the beach, and it was right next to the dive center, but that didn't cause any disturbance. The room was a decent size, and had an a/c that didn't blow right onto the bed. The staff at Mama's are always very friendly to me, and I enjoy going back there. Swimming off the beach was fine, and the snorkelling tour was fantastic, very memorable thanks to good weather and clear sea. The boat boy was also a good guide.

Room Tip: of course take a beach front room if available
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank zooey1234
Modena, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My personal review for this hotel is controversial.
The staff of the hotel is amazing, they are veeery friendly and very helpful.
The bungalow are too spartan for me. We took a triple room without AC for 10€ per person. The third bad was a materials on the ground (apparently something very common in the perhentian islands).
The room was too hot and small for three people and there were a lot of bugs. I even found a cockroach in my luggage on the bed!
The toilet are pretty dirty.
At the opposite side the restaurant is very nice and cheap!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Aziz at Mama's worked hard to get my family 2 rooms side by side in which to spend 8 nights as we had turned up without booking in advance. Though basic fan rooms, they were clean with modern bathrooms and spacious and at 82rm each per night very good value. The cold water shower was fine and we were well acclimatised so the fan was fine too. They could do with some better bedding - the sheets are a little on the small side.

The resort is a credit to the staff who are working hard to keep it clean, something not all resort managers on the island do, sadly. Bins were emptied daily and the grounds were well kept. It was mostly quiet in the evenings and we got good sleeps. The restaurant is also good value with nice Malaysian food.

We stayed at 2 other resorts on Perhentian and liked Mama's most.

Thanks Mama's for a really relaxing stay :-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kate1972
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Beware of the Perhentians......it is not all as the pictures show!! We checked out all the resorts on Besar and not all of it is the paradise you are looking for! Firstly Mamas is clean comfortable and the value for money is superb. We had a garden room for MR65 and was there for 10 days (initially only booked 1!). The room is 30 seconds from the beach (which you could actually see from the balcony). The beach here is nice to chill on a lounger but probably not on the beach itself BUT 5 minutes round the corner is the beach of Perhentian island resort and that is brilliant. We also checked out the beach near Tuna Bay down to the campsite and I want to warn people that here it is not a patch on the northern beaches. We were amazed how dirty busy and unfriendly this section was. It also had jetties jutting out spoiling what little view is there. We were so happy that we hadn't unluckily booked around here because this is not paradise! Going back to Mamas Place, the staff are extremely friendly always saying hello and giving advice etc. The food is a little cheaper here then then rest of the beach and is of a good standard (if not penang standard!). The garden view rooms are an excellent choice for travellers on a budget.....you will not be disappointed.!

Room Tip: The cheaper garden view rooms are better and actually look toward the sea. They are slightly smaller...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Oliver B
Pulau Pinang, Pahang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed in a garden view fan room for RM63 per night. For that price, I don't expect much, but Mama's far exceeded my low expectations. We loved hanging out on the porch listening to the birds and the waves. The chalet was cozy and comfortable. The food at Mama's was sub-par, especially compared to Penang, but it was the cheapest we could find so we found ourselves eating there frequently. The mosquitos weren't too bad. We bought several mosquito coils in the small shop and that solved the problem when we wanted to hang out on the porch.

The one knock I'd give Mama's is the beach in front of the place. It's crowded with boats and does not have a section roped off for snorkeling/swimming. I wouldn't want to anyway, there's little to no coral in that spot. Fortunately, Coral Bay is a short walk away and that has AMAZING snorkeling. We saw turtles, barracuda, octopus, all the little fish and a reef shark big enough to scare my wife! Overall, for a simple, cheap stay, I'd absolutely choose Mama's again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caucasianmalaysian
Katowice, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

We paid 250 for very big seaview chalet. Interior was very nice and bright, big windows, large bathroom, big front porch. We had 2 large beds. Everything was renewed. Food in the restaurant was one of the cheapest in this beach. Coral view is much more expensive and chalets are smaller and very dark ! Staff at Mama's is very nice, they organize snorkling trips in good price.

Room Tip: Sea view air-cond chalets are the best
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank malgo_0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#2 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#4 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#3 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#1 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#6 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Mama's Place? Share your experiences!