“Reminds me of "I shouldn't be alive" show.”

Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Renton, Washington, United States
“Reminds me of "I shouldn't be alive" show.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I was glad I survived the 5 nights stay. I have been back for 2 weeks now. I still feel the chill when I think about the experience at arwana Perhentian - an unthinkable, horrifying experience.
Arwana - things that went wrong
1. No hot water - when the technician came, it showed a routine. Turned the heat dial clockwise three times, then turn on the water.
2. We were at first door (ground floor is the lowest) water pressure is extremely low. There were 4 strands of water out of the shower head.
3. Lock to back door to patio is broken. It takes the technician 5 hours to come fix it, while during those times we risked our stuffs get stolen had anyone climbed in through the back door.
4. Second day - no water from 2pm onwards.  Receptionist continues to promise it will be fixed. Until 8pm, we still don't see water coming in our room. Went to complaint for the fourth times. We demanded to check out early and refund of our prepaid money. Finally, they decided to move us to a room with hot water. Had they done this earlier, we won't have a complaint. Will we? The way Awarna treats their customers are plain wrong.
5. Ok, it's Ramadan period. They said they won't start cooking dinner until 8pm. The sign at the restaurant showed operating hours 8pm to 10pm. When we got there at 9pm, they said the restaurant is closed. The reason was, they didn't see any more customer coming in. They refused to cook until we spoke to the hotel supervisor.
6. Food poisoning - after eating the new Zealand sirloin steak and water melon juice at 9pm, i had a violent vomit at 4am continuously for 10 throw ups.  After in exhausted my energy and throw up all the dinner I ate.  I went back to sleep. At 6am, I threw up again. This time is all the stomach juice.  After this time, I am completely motionless. My wide went to front desk to check if there was a clinic.  There was no receptionist. The girl at the cafeteria preparing for breakfast said there would be no receptionist until 7am. She ignored when my wife said I was seriously ill.  Even after the receptionist showed up, she simply talked to a guy laying on the coach apparently is a driver of the boat.  He reluctantly got up to get ready. It took more than an hour for the, to get ready to bring me to the clinic in a different island. When I checked into the clinic, the doctor prescribed two bags of sodium chloride Intravenously.  I began to feel some energy after 1/3 of bag. It took 5 hours for me to ge out of the clinic and another day to recover enough to eat again.

7, ants in the room infested on our bed when a box of crackers was left on the bed.

8. Sunscreen lotion - we ran out of sunscreen lotion. I went to the souvenir store to buy some.  It was closed even though it is in operating hour.  When I checked with the receptionist, she said the store person went to the mainland (Pulau Kesut). While sitting next to the counter was the sale director playing with his iPad.  I asked him. He told me to check with a different store down the island as their sale associate in he souvenir store is not in at that moment and the store is locked.  I went to a different store named sumara just net to arwana.  That store is also closed for no reason.  I went back to arwana.  Now then they decided to find he key to he souvenir store.  It only took them less than 2 mins to open the souvenir store. Again, does the arwana staff want to drive arwana business away? Absolutely.

9. dinner order - when we ordered three items, she only took two. After the two items arrived for 10 mins, we checked on the third items. She said we only asked for two and the restaurant is closed at 6pm due to Ramadan. She also insisted we paid because the restaurant is now closed.  Dumb waitress that doesn't guilt. Her name is Ratih. Aug 15th.

It seems clear to me arwana staffs are untrained and only tried to drive arwana business away.  I ended eating at a different restaurant nearby with better price and selection at the same hour.  arwana, if your Perhentian branch is not doing so well, you should review your staff performance! I also took a snorkeling trip with another company because arwana trip is more expensive and crowded too many people on a boat.

Room Tip: Don't get lured by the price.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Indonesian first
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived at the resort after a lovely two nights at the Perhentian Island Resort (stay there!)
This was ony chosed as my husband couldn't get booked into PIR for four nights. I made the mistake of reading a couple of reviews just before we arrived and then worried about the threat of mould. We should have read those reviews much earlier. The rooms were dark and gloomy, which no doubt added to the wall of mould which hit you upon opening the door. We returned to reception and I tried to explain the problem. I deciphered the words "air freshener" amongst some Malaysian and broken English so quickly argued for another room. This one was only slightly better but the pillows had signs of mould on them too. We refused to stay at the hotel feeling that two nights sleeping in such rooms would be a health hazard. Luckily we called the PIR and they were able to take us back. A day or so later we decided on a walk through the jungle which happened to lead us back to the Arwana from the its rear. We were faced with stinking stagnant water filled with rubbish and likely sewage. There was a large pipe on the beack front which went straight into the sea and I expect pumped out some detritous I wouldn't want to swallow when swimming.

Re Kota Besut itself - Tuna Bay restaurant is lovely and sell good food and beer (hard to come by on the island). It is also possible to walk from PIR to Coral bay and there is a beach cafe there that sells beer (no frills).

Arwana - steer clear at all costs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linz L

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

This resort has the feeling it was once an upmarket addition to the island (compared to other accommodation available), however with little maintenance of the original fittings there is a sense that the resort feels neglected and run down. (Leaking taps, loose toilet seats, chipped concrete, dusty dioramas etc).

The rooms adjacent to the beach with balconies (actually beach facing decks) are the best compared to the pool facing rooms. But be prepared for the daily discharge of effluent from a cracked pipe into the sea in front of your room that often engulfs unsuspecting bathers. Eco?, not so sure.

On the upside this resort feels as if it offers more space on the sand than some of the other resorts on the other side of the island. However the beach and swimming is much much better at these resorts. The garden is well maintained, the pool clean and the food very average. Fortunately a few restaurants down the beach are fantastic and make up for this shortcoming.

Room Tip: Beach fronted rooms (sea view) with balcony are the best by far but over priced
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Arwana did not make a good first impression. Several months prior to our trip we decided to upgrade from superior rooms to beach side villas. However, our rooms were upstairs with no balcony - not what I saw on the website. We had to ask to shift rooms as our first one had two out of four lights not working, a broken toilet roll holder, non-working TV remote and a tiled shower that didn't drain away leaving the whole bathroom floor awash. The bed was a double, not King or Queen size and the room had no table or chairs. The staff are friendly and very helpful and the hotel has good 'bones' but is sadly let down by poor maintenance and attention to detail. There are no beside lights, no soap, shampoo etc provided; the couches in the rooms are threadbare and torn; only one very worn towel per person - no facecloth, hand towel or bathmat; there is no information in the room about what facilities or services the resort offers or activities available on the island; no information about the wildlife that lives around the resort, and nothing about the water taxis available or the call to prayer heard at around 6am every morning! Despite all this - the island is fabulous and the resort is in a secluded, quiet little bay. The staff are lovely and the snorkeling is fabulous. The pace of life is idyllic and the sea so warm you can stay in all day. The pool is lovely too but could be a little cleaner and has several missing tiles. You don't go to Perhentian Island for the food, but the beach side restaurants next to the resort offer a range of meals at reasonable prices. The resort does a good breakfast and reasonable lunch. I am not sure what the 'eco' in the resort name stands for - I doubt it is for 'environmentally friendly’ with a diesel generator thumping away near our room. I suspect 'Eco' is for 'economising'. It wouldn't take very much to make the Arwana Resort do justice to its beautiful surroundings. It is worth the owners investing some time and money in it.
Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: Go snorkeling with the resort boat. The driver and his offsiders are very low key but make it a fun 3 hours out.

Room Tip: Avoid being near the pool - pay extra and opt for beach side rooms - they are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sungai Petani, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The lobby is decorated to local cultured taste, with Malay style decoration and plants. Staffs are helpful and friendly, and there are plenty of chloices of food at all thee meals.

Rooms are good and clean but toilet is a bit run down with taps and hot water shower a bit lacking. Backyard with a waste canal that feed directly to the sea is a bit put off.

Overall, the room and the building are all good, except the infrastructure need some maintenance and decoration.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Check in reasonable efficient.
Our room was clean, but neglected from the usual maintenance requirements. Water tap wouldn't turn off properly, but I found the trick, and turned it off and just a 'tad' on to completely stop the water running. Shower was good, except for one day when we lost 'hot' water. We reported it in the morning and late afternoon it was fixed. Electrical storm over night had resulted in power loss and shower heater required reset.
Lighting in the room was too dim, not that we spent much time in our room.
Air con directional fins were no longer and the air con struggled to cool the room down sufficiently.
Pool was nice and clean and was cleaned daily.
Breakfast was basic with no real variety.It was sufficient however, and plenty for all.
Meals / snacks at the Resort were well over priced and the beach front restaurants were better, both for variety and price.
When not out on the water (or in it), little to do on the Island. We did walk along pipeline across Island to another Resort which was located on a majic bay/beach.
Concerned that effluent may well be pumped into the ocean that will in a short time destroy the majic of these Islands. We snorkled, viewed coral and an array of fish. The highlight was swimming with turtles - awesome !!
Would go back again to the Island, but next time would prefer the other side if the Island with its superior sea water swimming and beatiful bay. Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Eat at the restaurants along beach front.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve_in_Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Love the clean pool and courteous staffs. Room not too great as the AC is not cold enough, leaky water tabs and bad room lightings, too dark, loose power sockets , but overall room is clean. Food wise very few variety and ain't that tasty.
Sunrise is from 6.30am but not a good spot for egg yolk view as its block by another hill.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank CathMeow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#4 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#1 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Alunan Resort
Alunan Resort
#1 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet? Share your experiences!