“Beautiful surroundings, cute rooms”

Coral View Island Resort
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Beautiful surroundings, cute rooms”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed for only 3 nights - wish it were more! Absolutely beautiful place and diving is so cheap.

We had a large family room, it was right on the beach with a lovely area out front. Rooms could do with a refurb, they were a bit dark but they are clean and well looked after.

Beach is full of coral but its only a moments walk to the next resort where the beach is beautiful. You can also trek through the jungle to reach some other resorts, like tuna bay (where they sell alcohol!)

We wouldn't hesitate to go back

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Travelling_Faerie27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I went to Perhentian Island in April 2012 with my friend.
As its a last minute trip we spend 1000MYR for both of us
for a full board package which i find its a bit expensive
for what we got. The foods there really good except for the BBQ dinner its sucks,
don't spend your bucks for the tasteless BBQ. WiFi only avail in the restaurant area,
the connection is pretty good.
We stayed in Hill view chalets which we had to climb real high to get to our room,
the rooms are more secluded but still can see ocean between treetops.
If you don't like climb stairs then try not to book hill view chalets,
and go for sea view chalets which is a bit more expensive.
The resorts beach had lots of dead coral, which made it difficult to walk into the water.
Snorkeling around Perhentian Island is really good.
Overall we had a good time in Perhentian Island and planning our next trip to Redang :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Maya89_10
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This resort is rather large compared to the others and is also much nicer. There are some very nice and expensive chalets facing the beach that will cost a minimum of 240 ringgit/night. There were none available when we were here, so if you want one you better book in advance! They also have a/c rooms that start at 160 ringgit a night and fan only rooms at 120 ringgit/night. We didn't have to do much bargaining and they dropped the price to 80 ringgit/night! Of course, these rooms (as well as the a/c rooms) don't have hot water but the a/c room was much nicer inside than the fan only chalet. however, the fan only room was still much nicer than Mama's Chalet. The room is decorated with a wooded theme of mostly veneer, but there are also some nice bamboo weaves on the walls. Also, the 'A' frame shape of the Chalet gives it a lot of character. The room also has a desk and a mini fridge which are both pluses in these mostly spartan accommodations. One thing that surprised us is that they actually come to clean the rooms daily! Too bad they don't change the towels! The only real downfall of the room is the size of the bathroom which is tiny compared to Mama's Chalet and when taking a shower the whole bathroom gets very wet and stays that way most of the day since the resort is mostly in the hillside jungle setting, which is also quite nice.

Our Chalet was up a flight of stairs and had a partial view of the ocean which was quite nice and there is also a porch with a few chairs to lounge in. However, you don't want to sit out here in the evening if you are a mosquito magnet as there are plenty of them waiting to drink your blood. To help with the ambience their is a man made waterfall that runs all day and night which makes a pleasant sound, since these units are a little too far to actually hear the surf. There are also foot washers located throughout the property which is a nice touch.

Service:
The staff at the Coral View Resort were mostly very friendly until we complained about a problem in our room. We had a twin room and one of the beds seemed to have sand all over it. Initially, I thought that I had brought the sand in when I set my backpack on the bed so I just swiped if off the bed and onto the floor. Later that evening when we returned from a swim I noticed that the sand had returned. How did I get the bed covered with sand this time, I thought? So I took a closer look and realized that the sand was all the same light brown color and not shiny… very strange I thought. Wait, that's not sand at all! I don't know what it is, but we saw the same thing in our beach room in Sri Lanka a few weeks ago! I still don't know what it is, but I think they are eggs of some creature that lives in the ceiling. I didn't want these things falling on me while I'm sleeping so my wife and I squeezed into her little twin bed for the night.

We were out the entire next day exploring Perhentian Kecil so I didn't' get a chance to tell management about the problem until the third day. At first they didn't believe me, then they said it was probably just some wood dust coming from the ceiling. I insisted it wasn't and the manager finally agreed to send someone to the room to look at it. A while later I saw the manager and he said, "If you don't like the room why don't you just change rooms?" Then he started complaining that we had originally booked two rooms (the other room was for the in-laws, but they canceled) and that's he wasn't willing to help us out? What does canceling a reservation have anything to do with service? All we want is a room that doesn't have insect eggs (or is it poop) falling on our heads while we sleep! I don't think the manager ever sent someone to the room like he claimed otherwise they would have seen the pile of eggs on the white sheet of the bed. It had been sitting there all day. The cleaning person didn't even bother to clean it up! Maybe they are so used to it that it doesn't even phase them? I guess that's a possibility, but come on, this is supposed to be one of the nicer places on the island!

Since it was our last night, we opted not to change rooms as it would require packing up all our stuff, it just wasn't worth it to us.

Restaurant:
The view from the restaurant is great and is the best thing it has going for it. The service is decent and so is the food, but be prepared to pay more here for everything! They also claim to have wifi available in the restaurant, but I was never able to get a signal with my Macbook Air. I even tried with my booster and was able to pickup a signal from the hotel next door but nothing from the Coral View Resort! Strangely, Heidi had no problem with her Windows laptop, but overall the speed was very slow and inconsistent, with the connection dropping often. In general, you can't expect too much here on Perhentian Besar when it comes to the internet. They kept on blaming the weather. When it was sunny and it didn't work it was because of the weather and when it was raining it was the weather. So what type of weather does the wifi work in?

Overall, our stay at Coral View Resort was adequate for the price, but the service needs improvement and they could use some fresh towels. The best thing is the location as some of the best snorkeling is right in front of the resort! Swim out past the pier and you will see a wide array of fish and coral including the infamous clown fish! Also, on the other side of the pier (Perhentian Island Resort is behind it) is what we think to be the best beach of both islands. Powder soft white sands and gentle turquoise waters!

Room Tip: Just ask to see different rooms and then bargain for a better price. They know how much other resor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank georgeandheidi
Ottawa
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were scheduled to stay here 3 nights but extended to 6 nights because we loved the island!! Keep in mind you are on an island, so you will be roughing it to a certain extent. It was getting close to the end of the season so the restaurant was out of a few items. The snorkeling was amazing. The best coral was at our resort. It the best swimming beach was right next door. The resorts beach had lots of dead coral, which made it difficult to walk into the water at low tide. Other than that - great stay. The staff was really helpful and friendly and the room was clean and a good size for what we paid.

Room Tip: Don't wait for the bill at the restaurant just go up to pay it. Bring your own towels theirs are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you pay for the best rooms you expect to 1. Have rooms that have clear glass that you can just draw back your curtains & see the sea view. Room 111 had frosted glass everywhere! 2. Sea view? Really with the fir trees & low trunk palm trees planted in a row outside your front door facing the sea, thus obscuring the sea view. A nice view of the litter bin barely seeing the sea. 3. the rear exit had a view of the many boats that visit the island and a view of the restaurant as this room was situated next to it. 4. The room was very claustrophobic. 5. Bring your own hair conditioner & shower gel is not provided. 6. The towels were threadbare & of poor quality. 7. We were initially quoted peak season rates during low season. 8. We waited over an hour for our food, infact after an hour we were told that there is no fish & chips & just offered chicken chop. The children waited so long for their food they fell asleep. My husband & my oldest son didn't eat that evening as the food took too long to arrive. There was no Manager on duty that evening & no customer care shown. 9. For breakfast if you order a full English expect to not receive any bacon & hash brown as its mentioned on the menu but not available. I expected kaya toast as stated on the menu & given marmalade, no apology & as a customer we should be told what is available. Poor quality breakfast, very basic, cheap cereals.

Room Tip: Delux rooms facing the sea appeared to have clear glass but there is no TV in these rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Caroline L

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were happy that we could get a room here at a saturday evening during the public holiday. We had tried already ten other hostels which were all full.

The place was more upmarket than we looked for, but given the circumstances, the bungalow with hot water and airco we got for 270RM was fine.

The food in the restaurant was ok, but nothing special at this price level. Like in most other places on perhentian, no alcohol is served.

The location is really nice in between two beaches.

Wi-fi connection was worse than in cheaper places at the same beach.

All in all ok for this price level.

• Stayed September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The property is located perfectly between 2 beaches, which is perfect. Getting to the island took a bit of work (transit in Kota Bharu then a 30-minute ferry to the island) but well worth it.

While the hotel has several different room types, I would strongly suggest staying in one of the bungalows. The ones we saw that were seaside looked to be in excellent condition. Ours was just behind the seaview bungalows and were fine as well. The area was quiet and felt completely safe. The rooms were not overly spacious but adequate for 2 or 3 people. I found the cost to be a little higher than what we received for the value but the pricing is right in the middle of others on the island. You can spend a lot more or you can spend a lot less (although what I saw for less was not comfortable or clean in my opinion). The bathrooms were tiny and always got completely wet with a shower. Breakfast was not included in our price and frankly we found better options a short walk away.

The staff was wonderful and looked to help in any way possible. Of course the most amazing thing was the beach and I could easily spend 7-10 days here relaxing and snorkling.

I found it interesting that a bat slept on the roof of our deck just outside of the door during each day and was harmless. Always disappearing at night.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#7 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#1 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Shari-La Island Resort
Shari-La Island Resort
#5 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Coral View Island Resort? Share your experiences!