“The best compromise in the Perhentian island”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bayu Dive Lodge

Bayu Dive Lodge
Cestas, France
“The best compromise in the Perhentian island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

The rooms are very clean, not luxury, with "european bathroom", in Perhentian island that's great
For divers the team is excellent, speaks english, french and more, can do your open water for less than 1200 rm in 4 days and get a good discount on the rooms.
The restaurant is malaysian and very good
Staff is really great
I've seen various accomodation in Perhentian, that's really the best
If malaysian resident go on alualudiver site

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Nagpur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2009

I have to say that I was very sceptical about staying in a ‘basic’ room in a diving lodge. Having seen some diving lodges before, I did not fancy spending 4 days in a grubby room, even if it was in paradise.

However, my preconceived notions were quickly dispelled the moment I walked in, this property is very clean and appears well looked after. I stayed in one of the rooms at the back, and while it is basic, it most certainly isn't grubby. The room is smallish but functional and bathroom is clean and adequate. I only wish there was more lighting in the room.

Indeed, Bayu Dive Lodge is geared towards divers, it seemed to me that the guys here and at Alualu are genuinely passionate about diving, and they were all exceptionally patient with a first-timer like me. This was also the first time that I was holidaying alone, but the warmth of everyone here didn’t make me realise that.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Lubeck, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

We stayed one week at the Bayu Diving Lodge and dived a lot with AluAluDivers and it was absolutely great.

Friendly staff-Carlton wants to help you 'round the clock. The female manager Ari offered us a lot of hints for our travel through southeast asia. The resort is at a top location, with a fine beach just in front of the bungalows and all divesites just a few minutes with a boat away.

Of course, this is a DIVING lodge - so I cannot understand people get annoyed at this. If you do not want to dive or snorkel or if you want cheap and basic accomodation, just go to some of the other places on the islands. If you want to do some nice diving, with good guides, fine equipment and a lot of relaxing in the evening - just go for Bayu Dive Lodge/AluAluDivers.

We stayed in a gardenview bungalow with a nice attached bathroom.

If you want to dive, ask for the local guides. We did some dives with Bob, he knows the area very well and offered us some really nice muck-diving.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

I'll start with the good, then get to the bad.

We stayed in a Sea View lodge for 2 nights. The lodge was great. Beautiful location. It was amazing hearing the sea lapping at the shore all day and night. The staff were very helpful, especially Carlton, who is basically the concierge. The restaurant had decent food, a little pricey by Malay standards, but reasonable, well kept, and in a beautiful location. If you can't decide (or just can't be bothered), you can always ask Carlton for his culinary advice. We did this on a few occasions, and were never disappointed.

The main reason to come here is the snorkeling and diving, and we were far from disappointed. We did one snorkeling trip, and one discovery SCUBA dive, and I would have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life. For the snorkeling, we were taken to a couple of reefs (they're not very big, so I don't know how people couldn't find the "hot spots"). The visibility was incredible, and the ocean-life bountiful and varied. Where we were dropped was always a bed of broken coral, but withing 10m or so we always found a great number of fish, and a couple of sharks. We were also taken to the sea grass beds, where we got to swim with a number of Leatherback turtles. FYI - there's nothing to see if snorkeling just off the beach, but shark point is just at the tip of the cove, barely 5 minutes by boat. A packed lunch (2 tuna sandwiches) and water was provided. Needless to say, after 4 hours in the water, we also bought lunch on our return.

Snorkeling was amazing, so we decided to try diving the next day. The instructor, Johan, was very helpful, and clearly passionate about diving. We both felt we were in good hands. Keep in mind, he's a dive instructor, not a bellhop, so in this situation his no-nonsense attitude is actually very comforting (in my opinion). Anyway, the diving was also spectacular, and I now endeavor to get my license in the not too distant future. All the equipment was in great condition, so no complaints there. The only mistake was that my partner wasn't given enough weight on the weight belt, so was a little too buoyant.

Now to the bad. The primary complaint I would have is that there is a large amount of rubbish on the beach. A lot of it is obviously washed up in high tide, although it does appear that a lot of it is just dumped. The beach outside the lodges was always clean, but we couldn't comfortably walk the length of the beach due to the amount of refuse in the areas without any development. This isn't just the responsibility of Bayu Dive Lodge, but surely all the lodges should band together to keep the beach clean? It was quite disgusting. Nappies, plastic drums, oil containers, cans, bottles, plastic bags, and who knows what else. That's the only reason I didn't give 5 points for cleanliness and location, because otherwise it was great. It was really very disappointing, but I did my best not to think about it (which became easier after our snorkeling trip).

Apart from that, a couple of free shampoos would have been nice. Also, as others suggested, the rooms aren't cleaned daily, but that didn't bother us. I'm sure if you asked, they'd clean the room for you.

Anyway, overall we both really enjoyed our stay, and I would go there again. I just hope they clean up the beach. I understand that there is no rubbish collection service, but there has to be a better way?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lok_Melbourne
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

Okay so this is not a 5 star hotel, but then those are character less and impersonal. Bayu Dive lodge is far from that. The staff are real people with their own personalities and they treated us with nothing but the upmost respect. Unlike some previous commentators we did want to Dive. However, neither I or my friend had any experience whatsoever. The staff where extremely helpful and patient with us, when things went wrong such as when I started getting gas and my friend got ear ache, we were supported to continue at our own pace and I managed to pass my PADI Scuba Divers course with one to one support from a truly brilliant coach after just a few days training.

I had the very best holiday of my life, the food was amazing with meals such as Balinese Fish which was made from fish brought in fresh from the sea that morning and similarly fresh squid, crayfish and local fish. At night we sat in the moonlight singing along with a member of the staff who played guitar and sang. There were no TV's or distractions from the peace and tranquility apart from internet which was truly excellent allowing us to keep up with e-mails and some of our neighbours to hold daily video calls with their family in the US.

When we left it was like leaving family and I cannot wait to go back and be a part of it all again

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

I totally agree with Sandwich's comments. I been to this place as attracted by the newly build chalet. When arriving at the chalet were greeted with fair friendliness, but after knowing that I was not doing scuba dive, the attitude and attention were obviously changed and not welcoming. Room were nice, but found cockroaches living in for sometime, that's disgusting. No cleaning services during the 2 nights stay, billing were wrongly accounted, beware and insist to look at all your bills. Finally, were chase out on the last morning of stay at 8am!! That was all because they need to accommodate a big diving group arriving. So, if you are a small group and you are not diving, be ready to be ignored and kicked out by the manager and owner.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ristretto_cup

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels

Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

We pre booked this place and they have an office in the UK - which responded and confirmed very quickly - just what you need when you are on the road.

When we arrived we were greeted by a guy called Carlton, who waved us over to Johan who we think is one of the Managers/owners. He was happy until we said we were NOT diving. (being on a budget travelling we would love to, but that would cut our travels short by a few months!). We both found his sudden change of attitude understandable and appreciate the place is a dive lodge but its not full and would appreciate our custom..??

The room is nicely decorated and for a hut. the bathroom is really cool and the extras like trendy soap and free loo paper are welcoming. If you get bit by mozzies, you may want to try another room. We had a 'fan chalet' and there was a large gap between the wall and the roof... Johan told us there was hardly any mozzies and my partner would be ok after asking for a mozzie net (she ended up getting bitten quite a lot)

The whole grounds are on the fringe of the beach and we couldn't of asked for more of a beautiful setting.

One thing we have to write about is the attitude of the staff. It was weird/confusing. Whenever we passed through reception we (like most people) wave over and say hello/morning... but never ever got an answer back. We stayed 5 nights and he must acknowledged us once during our whole stay. He would just turn the other way?... weird?

When we asked about the snorkeling trip we were told you get water and snacks on the boat.. which we didn't.... and the guy who took us out just pulled up at different sites and didn't give us any clue where the 'hot' spots were. It was also 20rm more than next door.. we paid it hoping to get a better experience (being a dive lodge) but they failed to deliver.. oh and without trying to sound like a moaner... my partners life jacket was in bits so would not strap properly.

Upon arrival we were also not made aware about the free breakfast. I cannot see it on the website. We saw on Asia rooms website something about breakfast so we asked and they confirmed it was included.

We also found out from another guest (on the last night) that they have free tea and coffee... shame the owner didn't mention that too!!

Good
Beach - location
Quite
Clean/trendy rooms

Bad
Unfriendly owners
Lack of information upon arrival
Snorkeling trip

OK - but look around before booking, Abduls on the otherside may be another option.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple