“Food”

Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Miri
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I didn't stay here, just had dinner. The food was superb! We had steak, lamb and homemade ice cream. Best western food I've had in Miri, and reasonably priced. I can't comment on accommodation, but for a nice dinner for couples especially, with a live pianist, it's recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Grand Palace exudes an aura of luxury and comfort that is rare for hotels in Miri. Rooms were exceptionally clean. The staff was kind enough to allow us to check out 20 minutes later than usual because we were running late.

The hotel is located away from major shopping areas but it isn't too far. The immediate surroundings include a department store, Belle's bookshop, a number of massage parlors and too many restaurants to count. The hotel food isn't bad but if you ever want to try something different you will not have much trouble finding a different place to eat.

My only minor issue is the hotel provides free WiFi for only 1 device per room. Access to the WiFi is protected by a username & password combination which must be obtained at the reception. Connecting additional devices cost extra. I'm of two minds about this: while I can understand why they would want to limit access to the hotel network I imagine it would rub a lot of guests the wrong way given how even solo guests will likely have multiple devices that need WiFi. So if you're not willing to pay extra, best bring a network-sharing device.

Room Tip: As of June 2014 the hotel provides free WiFi for only 1 device per room. If you have multiple device...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I would call it a convenience hotel for business personnel wanting a quiet accommodation not far from attractions.
Personally I rate the hotel as having one of the best beds in Miri, giving you sleeping comfort. Meals would be reasonable for breakfast. For lunch and dinner it has a good list of choices from the menu.
Comfortable for meetings over meals.
The health centre (gym, sauna and steam room) is another reason for it being my choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel when I went to Miri for business. There were two good restaurants, although no bar and I found the gym with enough equipment to allow me to have a good workout. Wifi is in the rooms which was a bonus as I thought it was only in the public areas. If I had more time I would have ventured out the back of the hotel where there were interesting and busy eating places especially for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Turi, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed here for another weekend in Miri. We checked in before noon, the front office was so welcoming, prompt and courteous. We booked the deluxe room but we were upgraded to the executive floor because the next day was my husband's birthday also because the first time we were staying in Grand Palace. The front office staff also congratulated my husband, just a small human touch but we felt so much appreciated. The room was not that big and the furnitures was quite old but it was very clean and neat. Parking is easy, but they don't have basement parking. Your car will be so hot in the day. Location is good, 5-10 min drive to the Bintang Mall and Permaisuri Mall (depends on the traffic). What we love here is the restaurant, we had dinner in Western Palace Restaurant, we ordered steak and it was great. For breakfast was just ok, they don't have a lot of variety.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zyrajean
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Spend a night here to attend a course held here on the next day. Rates per night is expensive even though im using corp rate. Room furniture is old, corridor & room smell of cigarette smoke. Bed is due for replacement, hard at the sides but sink in the middle. Pillow is so so. Sound proof from street noise is poor, luckily the neighbor is quiet even though it have connecting door. Curtain blind is thin there is some light coming in, im having trouble sleeping in the afternoon after returning offshore from night shift duty.
Bath amenities are minimal, just soap & shampoo. Shower cap is missing from its packaging.
Breakfast are included in the room rates. It is held at the American restaurant. Food quality is average with very little choices. Although the restaurant said to be opened at 6am, the omelette chef only shows up at 6.45. I came early, no staff to greet me at the door. I have to call them before they showed up.
There are better place to stay which cost less than RM200++ per night. Im still puzzled why my company wants to do their meeting over here (its been a long time since we held any events here, usually it was always Eastwood Valley or Meritz hotel) the food is not that great after all

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 nights at this hotel. After an embarassing incident involving my bank not releasing funds to pay for the hotel, they allowed me to deposit cash etc. The attitude of the reception was one of being dismissive and borderline patronising, even after explaining the situation.
The location is only good if you interested in visiting the bars nearby. Taxis are needed for everywhere else.
Cost of food in the hotel is exorbitant and the fact that we could smell cigarette smoke in the room from our neighbours didn't help the overall experience.

• Stayed March 2014