Grand Palace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Miri
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights. The price is decent for the value in that city. The rooms are old but well kept and there is a resturant downstairs that offers complimentary breakfast decent meals throughout the day. There is also a grocery next door that can come in handy for all needs. There are many local restaurants around the area within walking distance. There is free wifi in the lobby but in the rooms they require payment for use, cheap but speedy.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Krishan G

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in order to have a night out in Miri - my friend lives in Brunei. The hotel was functional, and clean. Service was ropey - we had two rooms in initially instead of one, although they did handle that well.

Would definitely stay here again - great value for money, and right next to the bars so we had a fun night out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is located near town center. Easy to locate. Hotel also situated next to a hypermarket mall and commercial shops. Very convenient for quick shopping. The hotel has an open parking bay and guarded with security. Hotel is slightly traditional from outlook.
Easy check-in to hotel. Room is tidy and clean. Only one fine thing which I find the hotel need change is the entrance access to the hotel room. I guess my encounter is not a favorable one as I tried to access my room easily more than 5 mins coz it really caused me frustration as wanting to quickly rush in to hotel room for hot bath after a long day outdoor activities. I find its rusty and the access card is no longer sensitive or less detectable to open. Please do routine maintenance check.
Overall, its simple and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

i used to always stay here if I had to be in Miri. Chose this hotel for its convenience:
1. there is a supermarket just next to the hotel.
2. many cab standing by to get passengers. Easy for me to get to my meetings and go to airport.
3. many shops, places to eat, and places to hang out. there are many night clubs and pubs very near to the hotel. However it was not noisy. Probably cus I stayed at higher floor.
4. near to beauty parlour- manicure, pedicure, facials, and etc.

Food-wise:
1. breakfast buffet was quite good. there were laksa sarawak, nasi lemak, cheese platter, eggs cooked according to guest preferences, and other standard ones like sausages, baked beans, fried rice/ noodle, rice porridge, cereal, pastries, fruits, and etc....
2. food from room service was not bad at all. Worth it.
3. Chinese restaurant at first floor is halal and quite good.
4. Their western food was excellent. very good steak.

Room:
Spacious and clean room. There is wifi in room, but you have to bring your own network cable. can rent it from hotel for RM30 if I'm not mistaken (that was a few years back). expensive. so I always bring my own. If i forgot, I'll just buy one from supermarket next door or computer shop nearby. Room service was fast.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have spent quite a few nights at the Grand Palace over the last few months and I have to say that it is a pretty good hotel. Sure it's a bit dated and could do with a bit of a refresh but it has a good location and is kept nice and clean. The beds are king size and I found them very comfortable. The room service has just been updated and the local food is good. The western food can be a bit hit and miss, but the steak is excellent. The restaurant downstairs is ok, however the service there needs a bit of brushing up. If you don't mind staff staring at you constantly while you have a meal then this place will be perfect for you. But in all seriousness I think they are just trying to be attentive and helpful. The hotel bar is a little average, a friend and I drank them out of Vodka and Kalhua in an afternoon, came back a month later and they were still out of Vodka and Kalhua... LOL. The swimming pool area would be a great place for a few drinks but there is no service poolside. There are however a good selection of bars and restaurants with plenty of atmosphere within walking/stumbling distance. Overall I have enjoyed my stay at the Grand Palace and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go the corner room if you want a bigger space and better view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Some have said that this hotel is old. I agree but there have been renovations. The carpet in my room seems new. There is a flat screen tv with some cable channels.
I choose this hotel because of its location which is close to the place I need to go for meetings. Around the hotel there are watering holes, restaurants and a supermarket.
Breakfast at the coffee house was ok with limited choice. Dinner was better. Also had dim sum at the hotel's Chinese restaurant (halal). One of my colleague reckons the dim sum is the best in Miri.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aarbain
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My verdict: it is a great hotel to stay. Rooms are big, cosy and comfortable. Toilettries are complete. Tv, radio, hairdryer, refrigerator and iron are ready in the room. I did not need to call housekeeping anymore. Room service is up until 11.30pm. For Muslim guest, there is prayer timetable you can refer to. A departmental store and several restaurant are at the next block. Bank is a few steps away. If you drive, parking spot is available. What a great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013