“95% perfect imperfection!”

Miri Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Miri
Reviewed April 1, 2013

SWIM + SLEEP + SPA ; These 3 activities encompassed all that i love in this resort. Just what i was looking for a short retreat over the long weekend.

My deluxe room is located at the Hornbill wing:50% of pool & 50% sea view. I woke up to the sun,short steps to my balcony for a warm sea breeze and sipping coffee at a spectacular partial view of South China Sea.

Service was fabulous...friendly and prompt except for F&B.I had Arabiata pasta (in room dining) which tasted worst then a Prego jar tomato-based pasta sauce. Was not even spicy..plain & blend..urggh!

My ultimate indulgence began at Mandara SPA. One word "AWESOME"

Definitely love the huge free form pool. The best part of this resort, on weekend they have outdoor cinema by the pool at sunset and when it gets dark, you will be watching a movie under the stars..

Grab a cab to Beach Republic,7 km away.. rent an ATV at "GreatWall ATV"and go beach riding along the 11km stretch of Luak Bay beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I spent 6 nights at this resort after a 13 year period during which I did not get to Asia. Service levels have been moved up a notch here. North Americans will be surprised. While they don't manage to crack the Singapore Airlines level yet, they are working on it. Impressed I am. The resort is relatively well maintained and it is here they have some work to do. Nothing that takes away from the experience really but opportunities for improvement. eg: you have to leave the air-con on in the room or condensation will literally cover the floor with water. That is an expensive problem which they should get a handle on. Other typical issues were getting the safe fixed, light bulbs. But back to service - some of my favorite people were in the restaurant/dining room, including servers, supervisors and cooks. Friendly and confident, smiling - they made the trip a most enjoyable experience. I don't give excellent very often. These guys are good.

Room Tip: Pick a room around the pool in the out building. The ones directly overlooking the pool are great an...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We just had a weekend break at the Miri Marriott. From the moment of driving up to the hotel where our car was whisked away and our luggage was immediately seen to, the check in warm and welcoming with a refreshing juice, and our pleasure at the quality and cleanliness of our room, we relaxed and embraced the idea of a stress free weekend. We enjoyed some lovely food, and the attention of staff in all areas, from the restaurant, the bar, the pool, and the spa. And when we asked at the front desk where we could find some sunscreen, we encountered the lovely Roy. Our request was met with 'give me five minutes and I'll come find you'. We had just settled ourselves at the pool when Roy came rushing up. 'We had no sunscreen left at the hotel. I ran down the road to get you some'. And that, dear readers, is the reason I give this hotel not only five stars, but also a recommendation to all high end hotels to take a leaf out of Roy's book. Good service doesn't have to be pompous or overbearing. It can be one of good humour, a desire to make other people happy, a willingness to sometimes go that extra mile. Thank you, marriott Miri. And thank you, Roy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went to this hotel to see a friend who was visiting Miri. I asked to see the rooms because I was curious if any changes were made since the Marriot Group took over the hotel. The last time I was at this hotel was in year 2000 and it was under a different management then. The Marriot Group took over and refurbished the whole place. Now it definitely looked better now. The reception area was large, open space end-to-end and tastefully furnished. It was comfortable and cosy. At the sides, there are cafes and cocktail lounges for hotel guests to enjoy the view of the beach and the sunsets. The swimming pool looked good. It was large and overlooked the beach near the hotel. The rooms were large with double beds and good-quality bedlinens. There were free coffee/tea and mineral water. Lounging chairs, side tables and big TV added a nice touch to the room. The bathroom was OK and the towels were nice and soft. I also went to try out the hotel's in-house spa. It was run by nice and friendly ladies from Bali. I had a relaxing aromatheraphy steambath and full-body massage spa package. It was great because I did not expect this kind of good quality service in a town like Miri. The hotel is a bit far from the town centre but there was shuttle bus to transport guests to/from the town. Overall, I am very impressed with the hotel and its new facilities.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for a night in ocean room. Check-in was smooth. Room was clean & spacious with balcony & bath tub. We didn't have fresh towels until 6.30pm since the hotel towels all used by guests. That was the first time I experienced such situation in 5 stars hotel.

The staffs were friendly. Restaurant served decent F&B. Nothing to boast about. The food portions were too big for our liking. A lot of wastage. The olio pasta was bland. I'm quite surprise that they don't have children playroom as other resorts. The pools were obviously the attraction.

Overall experience was ok. Will I be back? Maybe although I did notice some new developments nearby.

Room Tip: Ocean room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cahayapagi
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel looks tired all over the place. My room was very basic and looked as if it were stuck in a time warp. The plus point is that it is spacious. Did not get much sleep as the aircon sounds as if there is a harley davidson the room even at the lowest setting. Turn it off and it gets too warm to sleep. Staff are attentive especially the Borneo cafe where they serve some really good coffee and pastries.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Naga64
Reviewed March 14, 2013

i stayed at the Miri Marriot again for 3 nights in early March. This time I had a tower room instead of a garden room. the room was a little smaller and had no balcony otherwise i had no complaints as before. food was good, rooms were clean and well maintained and the staff were very friendly and helpful. i had to do a little shopping and the porter's desk came up with some very useful suggestions for where i could find the things i needed.
all in all another fautless stay at the marriot, i did prefer the room with the balcony though.

Room Tip: ask for a garden room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business