“Friendly staff but little else more”

ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Miri
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“Friendly staff but little else more”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Parkcity Everly Hotel is a beach-front hotel located in MIri just outside the city center. This means it is generally quieter than other hotels but that its immediate surroundings have very little by way of food & entertainment. If you don't plan on leaving your hotel much, this may be the place for you. Otherwise I'd encourage you to look elsewhere.

I must admit our first day at the hotel was not a pleasant one. Our room was so filthy we called house-keeping to come and clean it. They said they would send someone "immediately" which must be code for "10 minutes later" because that is how long it took for them to arrive. They were apologetic enough and admitted to being under-staffed. Management needs to look into solving this issue because all we saw was a room unfit for occupancy. They sent up a fruit basket as a way to smooth things over, so that was a nice gesture.

Some thing went awry with our check-in and we received a call at 9pm that very evening telling us we had been booked into the wrong room. They asked me to come down to the main desk to sort it out but unfortunately our names had disappeared from the system. Everything was fixed later that evening but could it not have waited until morning? 9pm isn't very late but I'd had a long day and wanted to settle in for the night.

WiFi is provided free of charge but the signal was rather weak. My Apple devices could not connect from the deeper half of the room but my Windows-based laptop had no issues. Go figure. I overheard other guests having the same issue so if you are unlucky enough to be in a room with a weak WiFi signal I hope you have a signal repeater.

The hotel boasts a beach-front which unfortunately is not maintained. I suggest caution when visiting the beach; it was littered with rubbish and I even saw a couple broken bottles. If the hotel insists on using the beach as a selling point I strongly recommend spending some effort to keep it clean. Much of the blame can (and should) rest on the shoulders of tourists who did not properly dispose of their refuse but the fact of the matter is that the quality of the beach will reflect on Parkcity Everly.

Being away from the city center, the hotel had the foresight to prepare a shuttle bus service for guests. The shuttle bus visits several shopping centres and tourist attractions including Bintang Megamall and the Miri City Fan. It leaves the hotel at pre-determined times and you will need to inform the front desk if you wish to use it. If no one asks to use the shuttle bus it will not leave. But if you need to make your way back to the hotel by taxi, the hotel's distance may force the driver to ask for a little bit extra. Exercise caution or your negotiation skills here.

I know my review does not sound very positive but one of the hotel's saving grace was it's staff. I found them to be very professional, helpful and courteous. That goes a long way with me. The rooms also have a veranda facing the sea. Our room caught the morning sunshine which we used to dry some of our clothes.

Other facilities the hotel has that I did not use: swimming pool, gym (open from 7am-9pm) and a bar with live music on weekdays. I could not hear the live music from my 4th floor room.

The bottom line is that it is difficult for me to recommend Parkcity Everly Hotel to anyone who is a tourist. It seems best suited for individuals looking for quiet place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. If you're planning a wedding or a weekend training course, Parkcity Everly may be just the place for you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
mok776688, Manager at ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review posted in TripAdvisor recently. We would like to apologise for all the inconveniences caused during your recent stay with us. We admit that there are rooms for improvement for our Housekeeping and Front Office services.

Barring any unforseen circumstances, the hotel is planning to complete the renovation programme for the rooms over the next 14 months to be on par with the competition and to provide the comfort to our guests. Your comment on the hotel wifi is well noted and on last Saturday, 28 June 2014, we have increased the Metro-E wifi bandwidth three fold with Telekom Malaysia to cater for the growing needs of our guests.

As for the hotel beach front, we are working with the local council on the general maintenance of the long stretch of beach. We have also instructed our landscape contractor to expand their cleaning area beyond the hotel perimeter.

Please contact the undersigned directly for your next visit to Miri or your next booking with ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri. We would like to thank you personally for your constructive comments.

Mok Pin ChuanHotel Manager
email:pc.mok@theeverlygroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hanoi, Ha Noi, Vietnam
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is my 2nd time I stayed here. Everyone is so friendly and helful. Mr. Mok and Ms. Blenda are so hospitality. They gave me a nice room with the view to the beach. The location is perfect. I would like to recommend to both bussiness & Leisure travellers.

Room Tip: High floors are betters
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 456SaVi
Dear Mr Savi,

Thank you very much for your kind and very encouraging comments with regard to your recent stay with us.

We look forward to see you again in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a pleasant day.

Kind regards,

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed on a working trip to Miri and checked in late. It is a basic hotel with no major issues. All basic amenities were available with big balcony to relax. Rooms were a bit worn out but big in size. Had a sea and pool facing room. Internet ( wifi ) was available for free, strength depending on your location. I had room service for my brunch, service was prompt and food was acceptable at reasonable price. It is a little out of town although they have a limited shuttle to town at designated time. Didn't try it though so unable to comment. The swimming pool looked tempting but did not have time to sample it. I was dead tired after work, so sleep quality was well deserved and good with good choices of pillows. Didn't sample the breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
mok776688, Manager at ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review posted in TripAdvisor recently. Your comments are well noted and very much appreciated.

We look forward to your next visit in Miri and have a more relaxing stay in our hotel again.

Please feel free to contact the undersigned should you need any assistance for your room booking.

Bandar Seri Begawan, null, Brunei
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I was staying here for 2 nights before heading to Sibu. The room rate was RM108/night for a standard room (hillview)(but without breakfast-which I don't mind at all). The room was spacious & clean.

The beach is just behind of this hotel, unfortunately the litter were everywhere. And this not safe for the visitors, as ppl might step on the broken glass. Hotel management should do something with this as I believe ppl want to stay in this hotel for having good time at the beach.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
mok776688, Manager at ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your constructive comments and feedback during your recent stay with us.

We have our beach cleaners checking the beach next to our garden daily but the cleanliness of the entire long stretch of 3 km beach falls under the jurisdiction of the Miri City Council. We have always notified and urged the relevant authority to act on the maintenance of the beach.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a pleasant day.

Kind regards,

birmingham
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My friend and I stayed here during a stopover before heading to Mulu and we were fortunate that we had gotten a great internet deal as if we'd paid full price we would have resented the cost. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful however the hotel itself is in major need of a revamp and is not even a close walk into Miri. We were given a smoking room without asking and the room smelt stale. The bathroom was dated and frayed. The TV signal was also terrible. The breakfast had a good range of items and the omelettes were lovely, but they kept leaving all the warmers wide open to display the food which meant everything was cold. Pool looked amazing but we didn't go in. The friendly staff and good service were the saving grace.

Room Tip: Specify a non smoking room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
mok776688, Manager at ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review posted in TripAdvisor recently. We would like to apologise for the inconveniences caused during your recent stay with us.

Barring any unforseen circumstances, the hotel is planning to complete the renovation programme over the next 14 months. Your comment on the buffet breakfast food warmers is well noted and our kitchen brigade is taking the corrective measure to keep the food served on buffet hot.

Please contact the undersigned directly for your next visit to Miri or your next booking with ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri. We would like to thank you personally for your comment.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed for 2 night. The room is dirty, the bathroom is dirty. The food is terrible. When we arrive, no one came to assist us. We take all of our luggage to the room ourselves. I was carrying my baby and I have another 2 bags with me. NO one seems to understand that we need help with the bags!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review posted in TripAdvisor and we would like to offer our humble apologies for all the inconveniences that might have caused during your recent visit to our hotel.

We take your comments on the services rendered by our bell staff very seriously and are taking the necessary steps to correct our shortcomings. For your information, the hotel will undergo extensive renovations for all the hotel rooms over the next 14 months.

We would like to offer a complimentary room stay with breakfast for your next vist to Miri as goodwill from the hotel.Please furnish us with your name and address so that we can mail to you the room voucher.

Once again, our sincere apologies.

Have a pleasant day.

email:pc.mok@theeverlygroup.com

Travelers are raving about these Miri hotels

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Reached the hotel at 1:30Pm and the front desk officer told me that the room is not ready. Very poor coordination as I was hearing the officer was having hard time to locate the housekeeping team.

After 20 minutes, finally I got our room key and quickly rush to Level 6. The first welcomed me on the lift lobby is a pair of dirty shoe on the table (Refer to the photo) as the maintenance team was repairing at something at the lobby area.

My room was very dirty. Please refer to my attached photo.

Room Tip: A non smoking room that has strong cigarette smell!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review posted in TripAdvisor and we would like to offer our humble apologies for all the inconveniences that might have caused.

We appreciate your constructive comments on the services rendered by our hotel staff and are taking the necessary measures to correct our shortcomings. For your information, the hotel will undergo extensive renovations for all the hotel rooms over the next 14 months especially in our bathrooms.

As we had flaws in our services and standards, we would like to offer a refund for your room charges or a complimentary stay as goodwill from the hotel. Please furnish us with your name, booking number and bank details for us to process the refund or your corresponding address for us to mail the room voucher.

Once again, our sincere apologies.

Thank you and have a nice day.

email: pc.mok@theeverlygroup.com