“Anonymously good”
Review of My Homestay

My Homestay
Ranked #2 of 40 Miri B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 17, 2014

My Homestay is not a homestay but a hostel/motel. The showers are great and the bedlinnen is clean, aircon is perfect and no noise from other guests.

It is a good place to stay, conveniently located and staff is helpful. But somehow it felt like an anonymous place, where you hardly would meet other guests, though there were a lot of other guests staying here.

Since I was here just for an overnight stay to get my flight the next morning, My Homestay was good for that purpose.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for My Homestay

Reviewed May 10, 2014

one of the staff i feel like a rude...she a kurus girl and small... i just tell about the problem of tv. and aircon. why the service is no good and slow.. then she directly tell me.. its better i go imperial hotel. if i need i good service.. supposed to be.i dont know this myhomestay.. my friend recommened this place.. but im so dissapointed what i got..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2014

i would suggest if u stay dont expect a 'breakfast' its not very nice bread and sugar, there is coffee but no tea, no toaster and no kettle, hot water is available in a water dispenser but its not boiling. its also really noisy i didnt sleep much as there were many people playing music at 5am and talking in the corridor and one person was shouting, the balcony leads onto a main road so you can hear cars through its door. the rooms are really small enough for one small double bed wall to wall and allowance to open the door, because they are so small the air con circulates in a small space so u have to turn it on and off or it gets really cold. if two people stay u would have to climb over each other to get in. i have stayed in other hostels in mirri for the same price and lots better. the bathrooms are nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Tatty_Rascal
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed in this guesthouse from March 27-29. We had a little misunderstanding because they booked on the 28th instead of the 27th. So when I arrived i have no room reserved, but the petite Filipina front desk clerk( I forgot to get her name) did everything so that a room will be made available for me. THANK U SO MUCH. The place is so neat. The room given to me was quite small but clean. I hope you could add a small table and chair where a guest can read or write. The dining area has basic food that a guest can take during breakfast. You can also use their fridge to store your food. Wifi is working fine. There are two computers in the lobby which guests can use if they have difficulty connecting through wifi. As a solo woman traveller, I felt very safe because there are CCTV camera installed along hallways. The balcony is right in front of Imperial Mall, so if you want to do a little shopping all you have to do is cross the street. The place is practically in the middle of everything (restaurants, cafes, grocery stores etc.) On the day of my departure, another Filipina front desk clerk assisted me in getting a taxi to the airport. Thank you too. Overall, my stay in this guesthouse has been good and pleasant. Thanks to the staff of MyHomestay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2014

i think My Homestay is the best hostel in Miri for people who are in tight budget. I understand those who made not-so-good comments about it, because may be they were expecting services similar to a 5-star hotel. Please!!! if you want services like that, don't go to My Homestay, just go to Imperial Hotel, it's just 10 seconds away from Homestay. Here, you only pay 30 or 50 RM, but at Imperial Hotel you'll be needing more! another thing that i like about Homestay is the cleanliness.it's maintained. the bathrooms, the toilet bowls, and the kitchen are obviously regularly checked. Kudos to the workers of Homestay. its location is at the downtown area and you can go easily to the nearby malls, supermarkets, etc. They're all friendly and very
accommodating. When i stayed there, the one who assisted me was a Filipina girl named Brookz. All of them are great. To me, it's the best in Miri.

Room Tip: excellence is their standard
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed here 3 nights after travelling by bus from Sibu. I booked through Laterooms.com & the map they supplied had wrong location on it! Not far out but enough to confuse two hot, tired kiwis. How to get there: if you stand outside the KFC in the Imperial City Mall (it's on a corner) & look across the road & slightly to your right you cannot miss it. Room was best value we've had to date in a hostel. Was a comfortable queen bed in very small room, no windows, great air con, 2 plugs, clean sheets, pillows & duvet. Best ever toilets and showers. Excellent kitchen facilities in 2nd storey balcony area (doubles as outside lounge). Whole place kept very, very clean. Can hang washing in upstairs roof area. Great location for walking everywhere. Downside: road noise really loud, staff really loud, they advertise that bicycles are available for hire - they're not. Great value for money, we would stay again.

Room Tip: Stay as far from the 2nd storey balcony & the road as possible if you can't sleep through a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sara B
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Some other comments here say, that this place is basically a hotel. I wouldn't agree at all. For me it is clearly a hostel. You have dorms and a shared bathroom.
Anyway. I got a room facing the street. No windows, kind of an artificial smell (paint?!) in the room. It was not that bad and you got used to it after two minutes, but still you smelled it once you entered the room. In the first night I had no Aircon remote, so I could choose the temperature when they brought me to the room. Luckily I found out that you can turn the thing off without a remote...
The room was clean, everybody get's his/her own power socket and reading light. Bathrooms where very good, too. You even get a rainshower. But as the night came and it was time to sleep you felt as there was no wall at all. You could hear 100% of the noise from the street. And as it was weekend the local kid's started to have some fun. The little race continued till late night (2am).
Breakfast is kind of a joke, too. Toast with butter. Security is very good, as you only get in if you have the keycard.
Allright, but if I should end up in Miri again, I give another hostel a try.

Room Tip: never ever even think about choosing a room facing the street. you don't get a window anyway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo