Hotel Sandakan
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotel New Sabah(Sandakan)
  • Restaurant
All reviewspriced hoteltwo nightsthe ground floornice roomclean roomsfamily roomkinabatangan riversea viewtourssocketsmemorialtoiletrieschannels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We didn't stay here but had lunch booked as part of Borneo Eco Tours. We arrived at 11.30 and all the food was already out on the buffet for lunch. It was nicely presented and the curry that i tried was very tasty, so were the prawns, but unfortunately was not warm. I asked if they had a microwave and they agreed to warm my food up. The waiter came out with a very hot plate but my food was as luke- warm as it had been the first time! A pity. Staff very pleasant and public toilets clean. Located in a good part of town.
PS ignore the star rating on rooms, fitness centre and swimming pool. They do not apply as I didn't try them out but I couldn't change the settings:-(

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The location is very good and you can be easy to visit other attractions nearby. The room is big and can be joinable when you stay with your families. The breakfast is OK even not too much can be chose.

Room Tip: rooms away from lift are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lhy1793
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed in Hotel Sandakan on 25th September with my 3 colleagues as we were doing roadshows in Sabah. We reached there quite late around 8 pm. The check process was smooth. Since it was already dark when we reach there, so we didn't have much time to go around the hotel except to the mamak restaurant across the hotel. I also ardered the room service. The service was quick and the food was okay. as for the room, it was a bit small and tight to move about. I had problems in seraching for the sockets until I moved the table where the additional sockets were placed behind the table. The air-cond was not cool enough as i suspected maybe due to lack of maintenance. The buffet spread was okay, not so may choices though. Overall, I would say it was an average stay for me at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hasreena
Reviewed October 7, 2012

As others have said, Sandakan is not he biggest, brightest of Asian city jewels, but as a base for lots of ongoing trips it's great. The hotel is clean, efficient (if a touch aid back), food is fine and plentiful. Toilets were a touch smelly in public areas, but certainly still some of Sandakan's best.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Let's get this straight from the outset. Sandakan is not what you'd call a pretty city, by any means. If that's what you're after, go to somewhere touristy like Penang. Or Fiji. Or Phuket. We prefer to see life as it really is and that's what you get with Sandakan.

Now that's out of the way, we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Sandakan and can't wait to go back. I made our booking for four nights at the Hotel Sandakan online, many months in advance, and received excellent communication from them. We were warmly greeted on arrival and got a room upgrade as it was our first time there.

We were on the eighth floor, with a view overlooking the city and the harbour. The view from the window is not pretty but it is fascinating (as well as being a stark reminder of privilege versus poverty). The harbour is gorgeous and at night, shows real beauty. We fell in love with the view.

Our room was of good size, with a very large bed (?king size), which was very comfy. There was air-con and free wifi in the room. We had a TV and a coffee making facilities but the coffee, tea bags etc costs so go down to the supermarket at Harbour Mall and buy your own!

The bathroom was nice, with a fantastic shower. Unfortunately the plug didn't work so we couldn't have a bath, and the clothesline was also broken, which made hanging up rinsed-out clothing a bit challening but we coped. The safe was broken but we didn't need to use it anyway.

Overall the hotel is really good if a little tired looking. The carpets in the hallway could do with an upgrade, and little things like the towels have seen better days and so have the coffee cups - little things like that, but these are minor quibbles.

Staff were efficient and discreet. The free breakfast was interesting! We tried hard to get out of our Western mindset for breakfast but I don't think I'll ever be able to have curry and rice first thing in the morning! I was able to have cereal, toast and tea though so I was quite happy.

Juan on the front desk made it very easy for us to book some tours and another staff member helped us hire a car. I'll do separate reviews for those.

For the price, we highly recommend the Hotel Sandakan. It's in a great location at the top of town and is an interesting walk down to the waterfront. We felt very safe everywhere we went (although we did feel very white, as there weren't many Westerners around), everyone was friendly and curious, and the people we spoke to and interacted with all had great senses of humour and were helpful and kind.

We would definitely stay there again. Forget over-touristy places, immerse yourself in the realness of Sandakan and its people. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Nice & quiet on the 8th floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple