Everything is true, after all the reviews I had read I was worried we might be disappointed. But it was just the most wonderful place. A true little paradise island. it's not brash and over the top, everything is low key, informal and that's part of it's charm. You feel you really are in the middle of the Sulu Sea. The wooden chalets are spaced out around the beach and are very comfortable inside with good bathrooms. There is a lovely balcony overlooking the sea, wooden sun loungers and hammocks, it is very private.
The staff were lovely, and the food was excellent, a great choice, well cooked, the best we had on our tour around Borneo. The restaurant and deck area are really gredat with plenty of places to sit inside and out.
My daughter and I weren't diving, but quite honestly the snorkling was just fantastic, especially around the jetty, we saw rays, sharks, eels, and spent a morning snorkling with a turtle it was just wonderful. My husband and son did a beginners' dive course, the whole dive set up and instructors were extrememly professional and helpful.
Our teenagers loved it, despite there being no other teenagers and no activities - they didn't want to leave! It wasn't honeymoonish either, with a great mix of families, divers and young couples and friends.
On our last night we had a turtle laying eggs under our chalet - so that just made the whole experience there just perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia