We went here for three days in a two week trip to Borneo and this was the highlight for all our family. We travelled as a family with our 7 year old daughter, who proclaimed that it was paradise as we pulled into the jetty. By the time we were on land, we had already seen turtles.
The crossing was fine, at times the sea was glassy, but we did sit at the back as recommended by other writers. Ensure you have sun tan cream and glasses.
The accommodation is fantastic. The view from the rooms is fantastic, clean sand, beautiful blue water and turtles, lots of turtles. The snorkelling was the absolute highlight. We saw so many wonderful things, batfish, sharks, bump head fish, blue spotted ray, lion fish, pufferfish and the turtles. Snorkelling with a green turtle whilst it feeds is something very special.
We also took part in the turtle programme, we hung our signs on our door which meant that we got to see the release of hatchlings and the egg laying, right under one of the chalets.
Food here was very good. The lemon chicken was a favourite of everyone.
We hired a kayak and paddled round the island, another enjoyable and relaxing thing to do.
There is Internet in the centre although it is quite slow.... But given that the island is so remote, the fact that there is wifi, is remarkable anyway.
We had worried that 3 nights was too long. Not at all. We could have happily stayed here or another week!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia