“Good for a night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Sandakan
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good for a night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

With really friendly staff and nice rooms (great shower!), I had a nice stay at Borneo Cove. Yes, it's quite far from the city centre, but we were going to the airport early in the morning anyways. Only real downside for me was the the WiFi in the room wasn't working.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear T_Heavenly,
Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate you are taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences during your stay, to our team members.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel when you next return to Sandakan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I know it took a while for me to write a review on you guys, but here it is. It was my "vacation" trip from a dive instructor job I had in the Philippines and travelled to Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia. I wanted to see the Sepilok reserve as the Rainforest Centre and decided to stay at this hotel. It was just fabulous! It was new at the time, and yes it is far from the main town, but still, the price so affordable for a backpacker. The room and bathrooms were neat, clean and modern. The TV had a clear image without other problems with satellite TV, even if I barely understood malaysian. The guys at reception extremely nice and kind. They helped me to book a taxi driver to go the the attractions I wanted. After my dive instructor job I could easily pay for it, and his prize was similar than tour operators, so I took it. The taxi driver was genuinely nice and took me for lunch at a local market. He gave me enough time to enjoy each of the attractions. I even booked him to get me to the bus station the next day. And I think I forgot the best! The food... congratulations to whoever was the chef, but I enjoyed every single bite I had from your restaurant. The lasagna was the best of all. Personally, Malaysia has the best food, great markets, really genuine nice people willing to help you and great nature. The Borneo Cove Hotel was just the cherry on the cake. Congratulation to the managers and keep it like that. I can't wait to come back with my son!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank apsb
Dear apsb,

Fairford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel would have been great, but it looks like it is still being built!

After being on a jungle trek, coming into a nice comfortable hotel was a nice change. The facilities are (would be) good, but when we were there it just seemed a bit un-prepared for tourists! The swimming pool was empty, the bar was closed, the breakfast was not fully available.

These are all small things that wouldnt stop us going back. It is a nice comfortable hotel and we paid a small price for it, so altogether a good experience. The staff were great, booking taxis for us without delay, even when we were stuck out at a local temple miles from the Hotel!

Its about 10 minutes out of town, but at only £3 for a taxi, it didnt matter that much.

For a budget location, if the facilities are available when you go, it will be a great place to stay in Sandakan.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdt_y2k
Dear mdt_y2k,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food, the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences during your stay, to our team members.

Henty Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was the second hotel we stayed at in Sandakan, the first was a let down. What a suprise to find a great hotel at this cost. The staff were all exceptionally pleasant and couldn't do enough for you. Room was pleasant, even though the room faced the main road, the noise was neglible.
This hotel also runs a training school for hospitality students, and the hotel is relatively new and if they did get the odd small thing wrong, who cares? they are such nice trying people. We got caught in a tropical downpour on a river trip, and that night had no shoes to wear in the restaurant, but they still invited us in and pretended not to notice! The only negative, was that the air/con was too cold. Booked in for two days stayed five.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jim R
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Jim R,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members.

Selangor, malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent 2 nights of comfy stay at this new hotel that open in Sandakan. Booked through Agoda with good bargain, and get free upgrade to Superior standard upon check-in. Staff are attentive and efficient. Room facilities are brand new, nothing to complain. To us, location is good as it is away from sandakan town centre, which seems a bit run down. We rented a car at airport, and most of the tourist spot are not too far away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chiauping
Dear Chiauping,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

It's a 5 minute cab ride out of Sandakan, but that's not really an issue because the town itself is a bit of a dump.

The hotel itself feels a bit like an abandoned office block. While it is a bit soulless it is new, secure, clean and the staff are brilliant. The rooms are huge and well appointed...although despite all that space they've built the bathrooms so small that you can sit on the toilet and have a shower at the same time. Genius!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank GrumpyTravelerMan
Dear PADB1978,

Glen Waverley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Borneo Cove and would strongly recommend it. We booked through Agoda and the price was amazingly good for a room and breakfast for two - check it out. The room was large an spotlessly clean. Sheets and towels were changed every day. Hairdryer, iron and ironing board available upon request. There is also a washer and dryer available for guests for a small charge. Internet is to be persevered with (try the front desk or restaurant if your room has poor connection), and there are some maintenance issues (we changed rooms because the room safe in the first did not work, and the sink in the second room leaked, but it was fixed immediately).

As mentioned by others, this is a hospitality training venue, so most of the staff are trainees. They are very friendly and eager to please, but still have their training wheels on, so sometimes need to ask their supervisors for assistance, which is fine. However, every request we made (such as with the internet connection) was met with assistance and a smile - which is more than can be said for many hotels!

Foodwise, the restaurant is excellent value. There were buffet meals for the first 3 nights we were here, but there is generally an a la carte menu. The lunch special meals are great value, and we enjoyed the a la carte meals. There is no fresh juice or yoghurt at breakfast, but there is a range of Malaysian and western hot meals as well as fruit and cereal and scrambled eggs or omelettes on request.

We strongly recommend this hotel - our only regret is that management has not got on top of the maintenance issue in the rooms that are closed, and therefore is operating the hotel at below capacity. Fix the air conditioners and other small problems in these rooms and the hotel would be able to welcome many more guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin D
Dear Colin D,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandakan
Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan
#4 of 32 in Sandakan
The Mark's Lodge
The Mark's Lodge
#8 of 32 in Sandakan

Been to Borneo Cove Hotel? Share your experiences!