Borneo Cove Hotel
  • Restaurant
NAK Hotel(Sandakan)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel would have been great, but it looks like it is still being built!

After being on a jungle trek, coming into a nice comfortable hotel was a nice change. The facilities are (would be) good, but when we were there it just seemed a bit un-prepared for tourists! The swimming pool was empty, the bar was closed, the breakfast was not fully available.

These are all small things that wouldnt stop us going back. It is a nice comfortable hotel and we paid a small price for it, so altogether a good experience. The staff were great, booking taxis for us without delay, even when we were stuck out at a local temple miles from the Hotel!

Its about 10 minutes out of town, but at only £3 for a taxi, it didnt matter that much.

For a budget location, if the facilities are available when you go, it will be a great place to stay in Sandakan.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mdt_y2k
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear mdt_y2k,
Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate you are taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food, the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences during your stay, to our team members.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel when you next return to Sandakan.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was the second hotel we stayed at in Sandakan, the first was a let down. What a suprise to find a great hotel at this cost. The staff were all exceptionally pleasant and couldn't do enough for you. Room was pleasant, even though the room faced the main road, the noise was neglible.
This hotel also runs a training school for hospitality students, and the hotel is relatively new and if they did get the odd small thing wrong, who cares? they are such nice trying people. We got caught in a tropical downpour on a river trip, and that night had no shoes to wear in the restaurant, but they still invited us in and pretended not to notice! The only negative, was that the air/con was too cold. Booked in for two days stayed five.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim R
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Jim R,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent 2 nights of comfy stay at this new hotel that open in Sandakan. Booked through Agoda with good bargain, and get free upgrade to Superior standard upon check-in. Staff are attentive and efficient. Room facilities are brand new, nothing to complain. To us, location is good as it is away from sandakan town centre, which seems a bit run down. We rented a car at airport, and most of the tourist spot are not too far away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chiauping

Dear Chiauping,

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

It's a 5 minute cab ride out of Sandakan, but that's not really an issue because the town itself is a bit of a dump.

The hotel itself feels a bit like an abandoned office block. While it is a bit soulless it is new, secure, clean and the staff are brilliant. The rooms are huge and well appointed...although despite all that space they've built the bathrooms so small that you can sit on the toilet and have a shower at the same time. Genius!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank GrumpyTravelerMan

Dear PADB1978,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Borneo Cove and would strongly recommend it. We booked through Agoda and the price was amazingly good for a room and breakfast for two - check it out. The room was large an spotlessly clean. Sheets and towels were changed every day. Hairdryer, iron and ironing board available upon request. There is also a washer and dryer available for guests for a small charge. Internet is to be persevered with (try the front desk or restaurant if your room has poor connection), and there are some maintenance issues (we changed rooms because the room safe in the first did not work, and the sink in the second room leaked, but it was fixed immediately).

As mentioned by others, this is a hospitality training venue, so most of the staff are trainees. They are very friendly and eager to please, but still have their training wheels on, so sometimes need to ask their supervisors for assistance, which is fine. However, every request we made (such as with the internet connection) was met with assistance and a smile - which is more than can be said for many hotels!

Foodwise, the restaurant is excellent value. There were buffet meals for the first 3 nights we were here, but there is generally an a la carte menu. The lunch special meals are great value, and we enjoyed the a la carte meals. There is no fresh juice or yoghurt at breakfast, but there is a range of Malaysian and western hot meals as well as fruit and cereal and scrambled eggs or omelettes on request.

We strongly recommend this hotel - our only regret is that management has not got on top of the maintenance issue in the rooms that are closed, and therefore is operating the hotel at below capacity. Fix the air conditioners and other small problems in these rooms and the hotel would be able to welcome many more guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple