“Nice garden near Sepilok Rehabilitation Center”

Sepilok Jungle Resort
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Sandakan
Reviewed September 8, 2008

The resort is well located only a couple minutes walk to Sepilok orang-utan rehabilitation centre, so you can avoid to take a taxi from Sandakan to Sepilok
Rooms are simple, but are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SugarZ

Reviewed September 7, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and after booking I read the mixed bag of reviews on Tripadvisor. On first sight, the resort was very nice. Well kept gardens, a nice lake and while some of the walkways and bridges are a little rustic, I feel it adds to the feel of the place. Our room was small, and the bathroom wasn't great either. The fixtures and fittings were very dated. It was also an effort some days to get housekeeping to see to our room.

The location of the resort is ok. Only a 5 minute walk to the orang utan centre but not much else to do in the area. One day we booked a taxi with reception to the crocodile farm and were very overcharged, but the reception staff didn't seem to argue this price with the taxi firm. Getting a taxi back to the airport was also difficult as it was up to the reception to arrange this again. Finally the hotel restaurant was average - quite a wide range of meals but again, nothing special and the prices were probably slightly above average for Malaysia.

A small tip - if you plan to do the night walk through the jungle, book it directly at the rehibilitation centre. The cost is a lot less for the same guide to take you. Take a torch and you'll have a great night!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank ItchyFeeet
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I booked the resort after reading all the reviews on this website - I thought I knew what I was expecting but I was wrong...

I understand that it's all about the wild life & back to basics here but there really wasn't much to it and it's definitely over priced for the kind of rooms they were providing.

They had hot shower alright, but the hot water comes in one shower head and the cold water comes in another one! - it's impossible to get a normal temperature mixing the 2 shower heads and the water from the hot shower head was soooo little, if you want to just use the hot shower head alone, it'd take you forever to finish your shower.

We also made a vital mistake... we forgot to leave some tip in our room when we left in the morning and when we got back in the evening from our tour, the cleaning ladies had taken our towels away and hadn't replaced any new ones - the front desk reception closes at 5pm, so we had to dry ourselves with a t-shirt!
(the reception at the restaurant is like 10mins walk from our room, so it's a bit far to walk there when you are naked already and people are having dinner!)

The reception's operating hours was also a problem - since they don't open around 7.45~8am and closes at 5pm.
The reception forgot to tell us what time their driver was picking us up (and our flight was at 9.20am) and by the time we got back to the resort from our tour, it was around 8pm - the people at the restaurant reception had no clue what time their driver were picking us up - it was bad management!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
101  Thank Sophdobe
limjohnny, Owner at Sepilok Jungle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2009

After reading your feedback, we have now imrproved and both the reception would know the airport pick up time already.

Since your feedback, now we have computerised our system. :)

Reviewed July 31, 2008

Let me start by saying the grounds are quite nice (but rundown), the location is excellent as its a 5 min walk to the Sepilok Orang Utan Cente. There are no more positive points.

We booked our room in advance and while checking in after 2pm the room was not ready. The room we finally got was dark and not particularly clean, the shower was hopeless, with no water pressure to speak of.

This place was recom by the tourist agent in Sandakan, its brochure shows a picture of a pool and "reading room". Both completely non existent. The food was outrageously overpriced and the taxi fare to Sandakan was 25% more then the usual price.

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: July 2008
98  Thank Maroesj
limjohnny, Owner at Sepilok Jungle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2008

The swimming pool and reading room are available. we are a resort of 30 acres (we have developed 10 acres and the remaining 20 acrea are dedicated for fruits trees for the wildlife living in the area)

I believed you did not walk the resort coz if you do so, you will notice that our swimming pool is ready but temporary closed as we are building a steam, sauna, gym, body massage and foot reflexology in that area. We are concern for the tourist safety.

The reading room is located near the Mushroom garden located at the upper part of the Banana Cafe.

the 25% taxi fare difference is due to the recent price fuel increased by our government. Petrol increased by 40% and diesel by 60%. The taxi are given subsidy by the government but we are not.

I have to apologise as the room is not ready when you check in. But hope that you can understand that July and Aug are super peak season.

Reviewed June 24, 2008

The Jungle resort is one of several located within 5 minutes walk of the Orang Utang sanctuary. Nowhere near the town. We arrived there at 2pm so had time to do the afternoon feeding and then go back again for the morning feeding which is much busier with tour groups.
The resort setting is beautiful with wonderful gardens including an orchid garden and a lake full of fish. The rooms are quite large and do have wall mounted air conditioning but the general fittings and bathroom would be 2 to 3 star. Most have a seating area outside with seats plus there are communal areas near the lake.
Food is the main problem. OK for one day and no more. Most people ordered an expensive ( for Malaysia) fixed price meal however we were lucky and found you could order individually from the much cheaper all day menu. Quality only what you would expect from a street cafe. If you want beer you must bring it in from outside. Breakfast was included in the rate and again was ok.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank scotaussie
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Let me start by saying that the setting of Sepilok Jungle Resort is absolutely beautiful, it's like staying in a park, and my standard room with fan/shared bathroom was fine. This, however, is the last positive thing I can say about the place. Although I had made a reservation in advance, my room was not ready. Ok, I left my pack at the reception and went to see the 10am feeding, watched the video/dvd presentation, and got back at mid-day. After waiting at the reception for a while, and being ignored, I was told to go to the reception at the cafe/restaurant. There I was told that my room was still not ready, so I decided to have lunch, which was one of the worst meals I've had in SE Asia. By the time my room was available, it was too late to go and see the 3pm feeding. I had a coffee in the afternoon, read, and went for a walk around the grounds until dinner time. Well, dinner was worse than lunch, absolutely shocking and in no way resembled what I had ordered. A group of about 25 people had arrived in the afternoon, and took up the rooms all around me. The noise from the group, combined with the noise from the kitchen was so bad, that I informed reception that I would check out the next morning, and the receptionist assured me that I would receive a refund for the second night's accommodation. Well, that did not happen. When I checked out the next morning, I was told that the owner had gone to Sandakan and that there was no money on the premisses, ie no refund! I managed to get my key deposit back, and settled for the overpriced transfer to Sandakan in lieu of the refund. Overall an experience which was far from satisfying, and just forget about the wonderful Malaysian food, mentioned on the resort's website, it does not exist.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
100  Thank widder47

The noises from other people is beyond our control.

I do have to apologise for the food though if you are not satisfied. But most of the time we receive good feedback from the guests.

Reviewed May 23, 2008

Stayed a couple of nights here whilst visiting the Orang Utan reserve room was ok, basic but ok! food was good handy for the reserve as its within walking distance. Booked over the interner and it did what we needed

Stayed: April 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandakan
0 mi away
0 mi away
The Mark's Lodge
The Mark's Lodge
#7 of 33 in Sandakan

Been to Sepilok Jungle Resort? Share your experiences!