I had a 5 night stay at he Sepilok Jungle Resort. I pre booked my accommodation through Agoda several months prior after reading the reviews on trip advisor. On arrival the reception staff were extremely helpful and information about the resort and local attractions. The room was big and clean, yes a bit dated, but I only planned to sleep there. The AC worked as did the shower which was nice and hot!
I had all my meals at the Banana Cafe,breakfast as part of the deal with my room. The staff were pleasant and helpful and one of the owners would always come and talk to me making me feel very welcome and comfortable. At breakfast I was given homemade lime jam by the owner, who had made it the previous day, it was delicious! The food was very good and good size portions and reasonably priced. The surroundings are beautiful, remember your strong insert repellant though, you WILL need it.
Sepilok orang-utan centre is literally 5 minutes away, the best time to go is in the afternoon, it's much quieter then, but if you pay to go in the morning u get in for the afternoon feeding free. Feeding times are 10 am and 3 pm, but go early to get a good spot for photos. You are charged 10 myr extra per camera so bare that in mind and you have to put you bag into a locker prior to going to see the feeding.
I had the best experience with the orang-utans at the Rainforest Discovery Centre, about 20 mins walk from the jungle resort. I went on three occasions, costing only 10 myr entry. On all occasions I had a one to one with an Oran-utans, I trekked around all the trails, a map is provided on entry and was lucky enough to see them up close, in there wild environment, it was truly amazing.
If you fancy doing something a bit different and treating yourself or indulging then go to the English tea house for afternoon tea. The setting was beautiful and the afternoon tea was fabulous, better then some I have had in swanky London west end hotels and it was very reasonable. Barter with a taxi or speak to reception to arrange a car for you, I incorporate a walk around the War memorial gardens which is situated where a POW camp was during the Second World War.
Overall really enjoyed this part of my trip, I rally relaxed and got to see some amazing things and then slowly unwind by the pool for a few hours before dinner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 5 minutes walk to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, Sepilok Jungle Resort offers comfortable lodging for visitors around the world to get close but un-intrusive glimpse of this nature paradise. It is enclosed within a tropical virgin Borneo Rainforest in Sandakan, Sabah (Borneo), Malaysia. Let its beautiful landscaped gardens and wide expanse of lush jungle transport you back in time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sepilok Jungle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sepilok Jungle Hotel Sandakan
- Sepilok Jungle Sandakan
- Sepilok Jungle Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia