“Nice hotel, but miss the buffet dinner!”

Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Sandakan
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A nice, new, clean hotel, excellent location and great service. The rooms were big, spacious and comfortable. the infinity pool was also good, and there are umbrellas for shade (I noticed a previous comment about no shade)
Well done for 4points for putting a hotel here, but it certainly does fell somewhat out of place until more move in. A big shiny hotel bigger than anything else in this mostly fishing town certainly stands out, unfortunately so does the McDonald' and KFC...
But for a hotel, great to stay, but I would say venture out and go for meals. The buffet dinner was less than appealing. They tried there best, but would say with the hotel still working up to capacity the selection was fairly minimal, and some seemed to have been there for a bit. Breakfast a bit the same.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neil S
FourPointsSandakan, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Neil S,

Greetings from the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay.It gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. We always looking forward to hear your comments. Your stay and visit experience is of the utmost importance to us.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback regarding the overall hotel facilities especially the spacious room and our infinity pool. As for the variety of buffet dinner in our restaurant, rest assured, this matter has been highlighted with our Executive Chef so that he could take necessary steps of action and in turn can address these matters via his on-going training and development programs with the team.

Sign in as a Starwood Preferred Guest and enjoy more the benefits of fast online booking, access exclusive benefits and flexible reward. Discover just how rewarding membership can be. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate your time and effort in providing feedback to us.

On behalf of the team, once again, I look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan in the not too distant future.

Sincerely
Syntio Camilleri

Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a fabulous new hotel in a wonderful location, right on the water with spectacular views from all rooms. There's no need to go into detail about the rooms - suffice to say that they are top quality.

The basic rate doesn't include breakfast, but we paid for it on one morning and it was fine - the usual wonderful spread covering a range of cuisines (although you really can't imitate pork products and expect full flavour). The breakfast cost about 60 ringgit each, like the drinks and other meals pretty expensive compared to what is available in the immediate vicinity, and guests have to make up their own minds whether to pay the high hotel prices or go for a walk...

The hotel facilities are excellent, with a stunning horizon pool on the 13th floor, a good gym etc.

We stayed in this hotel on two separate occasions. On the first we came from the very ordinary D'Villa on the mountain which cost 100 ringgit pn. The advance purchase special at Four Points was just over 200 ringgit, a little more than double the price of D'Villa, and light years apart in quality and experience. Our second stay was when we returned from our jungle experience at the good but fairly basic Jungle Lodge Kinabatangan, and again, it was great to look forward to the incredibly clean and comfortable beds and rooms in the Sheraton.

If you're tossing up between this hotel and a cheaper one of lesser quality, it's a no- brainer. At the price, this is a fantastic hotel, which would cost four or five times the rate in other countries.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Chrislan

Dear Chrislan

Greetings from the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We always looking forward to hear your comments. Your stay and visit experience is of the utmost importance to us.

Delighted to know that our accommodations and service were to your liking and thank you for highlighting the spectacular room view, infinity pool, gym and breakfast spread at our signature restaurant, The Eatery.

Nevertheless, thank you for showing a great support towards our hotel by stated your kind recommendation. On behalf of the team, I look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at night at Four Points as I had to catch a boat the next day to an island resort in Sabah. The Four Points is a relatively new hotel (I understand it was open last year). I was pleasantly surprised that the rooms were big, nice, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly but some of them did not speak proper English. Food at the Four Points was very cheap (relative to other city prices) and very good value as I ordered a seafood pasta which came laden with incredibly fresh seafood. For that price (less than RM 20) it was worth it. Very impressed at the quality of seafood in Sandakan (which is what Sandakan is famous for). Enjoyed my stay so much that when I arrived at 8am to Sandakan from the island resort and had to wait for my 10pm flight back to KL, I booked a day only stay at Four Points.
Be sure to check out the infinity pool - it has an amazing sea view.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear AdelineL774,

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback - it gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. We always looking forward to hear your comments.

Delighted to know that our accommodations and overall hotel services were to your liking. All comments shall be looked into seriously and will be emphasized in our on-going training and development programs with hotel associates.

Sign in as a Starwood Preferred Guest and enjoy the benefits of fast online booking, access exclusive benefits and flexible reward. Discover just how rewarding membership can be. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at the Four Points on the 25th for 2 nights before we joined a tour. The hotel is new and spotlessly clean, we had great views of the sea and the pool on the 13th floor. The staff were excellent, big smiles, friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We booked an executive room which gave us free drinks and nibbles in the executive lounge room, which was a bonus we didn't know about. We also joined the SPG club which gives you a discount in the restaurant. We would highly recommend this hotel. * (There was a proboscis sanctuary in Sandakan that we found out about after we had left, which would have been great to visit.)

Room Tip: book an executive room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Debbie P

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback - it gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. Your stay and visit experience is of the utmost importance to us. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation.

Delighted to know that our accommodations and service were to your liking and thank you for highlighting the spectacular room view, infinity pool, staff friendliness and especially the benefit of become a member of Starwood Preferred Guest. Discover just how rewarding membership can be to access exclusive benefits, flexible reward options and fast online booking. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

Nevertheless, thank you for showing a great support towards our hotel by stated your kind recommendation. .

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Returned for my 5th stay in the newly opened 4 points Sheranton. The room has been well maintained and cleanliness tip top. I have been asigned a corner room with superb ocean view.
This hotel is centrally located along the new water front, has wifi facility, good bf spread in the morning (rates with abf) and a good fitness center.
I will recommend guests there.

Room Tip: A problem when making reservation as the call center is in Singapore. Might be better of emailing th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
FourPointsSandakan, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear AlexanderYee

Greetings from the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedbac, it gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. We always looking forward to hear your comments. Your stay and visit experience is of the utmost importance to us.

Delighted to know that our accommodations and service were to your liking and thank you for highlighting the spectacular room view, gym and breakfast spread at our signature restaurant, The Eatery.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for three nights on a working trip. The hotel is 11 months old and right in front is the sea.
The room is still new and clean and so is the bathroom.
I had partial sea view and part the wet market.
I like the view. Glass window panel goes to the floor level giving a great view.
Reception staff are not quite welcoming. The fumble through the prices of promotional rates that is between stay 3 nights pay for 2 nights and a certain rate on offer with a 10 plus 6 percent. I was booked into a room that came without breakfast. So I did not eat in. At RM45 plus 16 per cent I guess it was not necessary for me to have breakfast as at work I would be served morning break at 10 am.
Three of the bellmen were very polite and friendly. One even took time to explain what Sandakan has to offer. So my wife and I followed his suggestions on where and what to eat nearby and afar. We are grateful to this particular blue uniformed gentleman.
The swimming pool looks great almost similar to that of Zenith Hotel in Kuantan, Pahang .
I accept that the hotel is new but the staff should be properly trained before commencing operation. Different staff gives different view on the same one matter, very confusing. That is why sometimes a guest takes a long time to check in.
The bidet in the bathroom is somewhat strange for me. Instead of a trigger press, one has to hold the bidet and one hand turn on the tap for water flow.
The rain shower serves its purpose but the water pressure flow was poor. I guess nobody ever checked before the opening ceremony.
The lighting was adequate and the room seems bright.
Unlike certain hotels of the same rating, a day bed or reclining armchair would help after a hard day’s work. But there is only an oversized armchair that strained my neck. So I watched television sitting on the writing table chair.
The bed is good but the pillow and the comforter are not suiting to the usage. I feel the pillow and comforter is more for winter. That, was in my room, was somewhat warm and I could feel my neck hot throughout the night. These should be of normal standard and not warm. The arrangement of the bed was poorly arranged and designed as compared with the air conditioner duct, so when one is on the bed only the feet gets the air cond.
I asked for ball point pen for writing but housekeeping sent pencil instead.
I had to ask the reception staff who was kind enough to listen and understand my grouses who was on duty at night, for ball point pen, toothbrushes (only one supplied daily) and shavers (not supplied daily) which were not placed in my room for my three nights stay. Finally I received mine but the housekeeping staff delivered all only for two nights and without the toothbrushes. Also we are grateful to the counter staff for carefully listening to my grouses Anyway, I grew tired of asking and I did not want be seemed begging for what is rightfully mine (as the room is paid with the amenities).
An international hotel like Sheraton, the staff cannot understand plain English and cannot accept instructions, this is shameful.
For 40 percent of the Sheraton rate, my wife and I moved to another hotel. Swiss Inn Hotel (International) with sea view and sea frontage and better still with breakfast for two. For that rate the coffee house even has egg station. The room may be slightly small, but, after a while, you get used to the size and the money you pay for. After all, the two hotels are almost side by side with eateries so close, you don’t have to worry about distance. At every meal, you just watch the sea and enjoy the sea breeze

Room Tip: Higher floors have commanding views. Choose corner between town and part sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ahmad H,

Greetings from the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding the staff attentiveness and hotel facilities especially the water pressure in the bathroom. Rest assured, these issues have been highlighted with the department head concern so that they in turn can address these matters via their on-going training and development programs.

Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation. We continually strive for Operational Excellence and you may be rest assured that we will be continuously improving our facilities and services to maintain Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan as your preferred Hotel in Sandakan, Sabah.

Sincerely

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a really lovely hotel and the views from all the rooms are amazing - overlooking the harbour. The service is excelent and efficient. The rooms are large and have everything you need. The showers are large. We ate in the hotel restaurant one night and had a lovely meal ( although this is a bit more expensive than eating in the town.) The infinity pool is wondorful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Julienne L,

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay.

We are delighted to know that our accommodations and hotel service were to your liking and thank you for your kind overall comments.

Sign in as a Starwood Preferred Guest and enjoy more the benefits of fast online booking, access exclusive benefits and flexible reward options. Discover just how rewarding membership can be. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

Syntio Camilleri

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandakan
Sepilok Jungle Resort
#22 of 33 in Sandakan
Hsiang Garden Hotel
Hsiang Garden Hotel
#11 of 33 in Sandakan

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan? Share your experiences!