“Puu Jih Shih Temple Visit”

Puu Jih Shih Buddhist Temple
Full-Day Sepilok Orangutan and Sun Bear and Sandakan City Trail
More Info
$111.99*
and up
Sandakan Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Center Full-Day Trip from Kota...
Ranked #9 of 30 things to do in Sandakan
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It is located on a mount in Sandakan, where you can reach this temple using Cecily Road. It was built many years ago and now it still stands as the most visited temple in Sandakan. It compises two parts basically. One is up on the peak of the mount while another is under the main temple. These two temples are linked to each other with a long staircase. It is not only a sacred place for worshipping but also a tourism landmark with its own serenade beauty and lining up Budhha's statues by both sides of its entrance road. Everytime I went there, I just feel the peace in me and of course it was a place where my friend from Peninsula Malaysia and I took lots of pictures the last time we went.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

The temple was a very nice surprise during our visit in Sandakan. The temple is beautiful and it has a wonderful view of Sandakan and the harbor below. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Set on the top of a hill on Jalan Cecily it has a beautiful architecture, with a superb view over the bay and the water-villages. Actually composed of two buildings, the main temple and a smaller one. The main temple was unfortunately closed for reparation. In the small one, a big Buddha brings you into meditation. The main alley to the temple is guarded by a lot of white Buddha statues on both sides (if I counted well, I think there are 25 on each side, but not sure). The Buddhist symbol of the swastika can be seen everywhere, even nicely cut in the grass. A very peaceful place.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

It is strategically located on top of a hill where you can see Sandakan from a bird's eye view. The temple was wonderful, and it was an enjoyable experience as some of the caretakers who were around told us stories about the building and Buddha. Since we visited the temple a day before the Chinese New Year celebration commenced, the people were busy wrapping gifts to donate for the poor. We helped out and had a great deal of fun here. This temple certainly encapsulates the strong community spirit here! :)

After we visited the temple, we went to the crematorium nearby and tried to absorb the Chinese culture of praying for their ancestors. Also, we managed to see a few monkeys walking around the back garden while we were walking around! Certainly a wonderful experience!

However, it is quite costly to go here by taxi, and I certainly hoped that there were more attractions and food stalls around. I would still recommend it nonetheless.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

A Buddhist Temple on the hill, with excellent view of Sandakan! Great for taking panoramic pictures of Sandakan.

1  Thank Shannon C