“Security at Night”

Sim Sim Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 99 Restaurants in Sandakan
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I heard about the famous Sim Sim Seafood restaurant, That is one of my reasons to visit Sandakan.

I was confident that a famous place every local know. But to my shock most people do not know the exact location. After asking a number of people, they only tell me the general location. I drove to the location 2 times and only got a rough idea where it is. The restaurant do not have any signboard outside the road. No proper parking.Anyway, I decided to bring my family for dinner. I went there around 730pm, the suppose location was dark , no lighted walkway, no parking. I heard you need to walk into the water village to reach the restaurant.

The place look unsafe, so i decided to skip the dinner.

I am glad I did that. Next morning I went to the general market to do shopping for local salted fish. The owner of the stall told me, it is not advisable to go there at night for dinner , not safe, many car owner lost their Car and valuable in the Car while dinning there. I hope the info is not true. but better be safe than sorry.

I hope the restaurant owner will put up some lighting,signage at road side and maybe station a staff to look after customer car. At least give customer some sort of security to enjoy the great seafood that some many people review.

If i ever get back to Sandakan,I will definitely go there for lunch only.

Can not rate the food & services, coz did not make it there, only outside the water village entrance

3  Thank borneoguide

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Lobster cooked cheese style is delicious. Stem fish is good and fresh. Mantis prawn salt and pepper style is good.

1  Thank calmstmh-Sereen
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Recommended by Mr. Lim of Sepilok where locals go. Fresh sea food and at normal price for locals. Beware Sim Sim is an area, we went to the left restuarant on the 8th Pier. Owner of this restaurant maintain 50 little fishing boats which he let 50 fishermen to fish at no charge and all catch are purchased by the restaurant.

1  Thank Harry L
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

You cannot get any fresher than this. Only the catch of today is available, prepared the way you prefer. The friendly English speaking staff will recommend if you do not know. Shrimps, crab, scallops, fresh fish: you choose, they will listen to your preferences (fried, steamed, spicy, etc), advice and prepare.

Very informal place. Good place to bring kids as they can run around and watch how the fish is caught, prepared and cooked. If you haven't been to a watervillage come before or around sundown. The restaurant is surrounded by a watervillage. We were a bit late (7 pm) and regreted we did not come earlier as all the people around were so kind. Not that it is unsafe when it is dark, there simply is only a little light which makes it a bit hard to see it all.

1  Thank WimiPhone
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

I like eating here. Very fresh seafood.
Cheaper than most place