“Cockroaches and then some”

Gomantong Cave Sandakan
Ranked #7 of 30 things to do in Sandakan
Sydney, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Cockroaches and then some”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Gomatong Cave was a side trip on the way to Sukau. Our guide organised a "picnic lunch" at the visitors centre before heading on a short walk to the Cave. I don't think I've ever seen so many cockroaches and giganic centipedes in my life. May I suggest everyone that visits keeps their hands away from the guide rails. A torch is another handy thing to have. We were there 2 weeks before harvesting (mid February) but were able to hold and photograph a few nests kept in the harvesters quarters on-site. I found the visit to be interesting and worthwhile and was not put off by any "smell" - the caves in Indonesia smell much worse. The restroom in the carpark was well cared for and clean.

1 Thank Heather F

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Stamford, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Worth a visit, just to see the biggest pile of bat poo you will ever see”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We visit Gomantong cave as part of a 3 day guided trip. You only really need to spend around an hour here, but it certainly worthwhile to see this huge cave, which is homes to thousands of bats and the famous edible birds nests. If you don't like seeing thousands of cockroaches and massive centipedes then I suggest you don't go!

Visited March 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“already seen lots of cockroaches and bats and at least one cave?”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

then simply don't waste your time - ... we visited only as a 10-minute side trip on our way to sukau, so that was fine, but we would be terribly disappointed had we travelled to the caves all the way from sandakan, as some had ...

1 Thank potujem
brisbane, australia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“NOT AS SMELLY AS A CHICKEN FARM !”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Our guide had us thinking this was going to be a dreadfully smelly place but I guess it's all relative and we didn't find it too bad at all, and the caves are huge and a definite view. Ensure you wear covered clothes and shoes and maybe a cap and if you have to, maybe some menthol to sniff.

1 Thank Jusjuly07
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Smelly but awesome...”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ok so a cave politics are controversial, some say you seen one you've seen 'em all, right?! Wrong..

Have been to numerous caves, but they are all uniques and magnificent in their own way.
This was a oretty grand cave standing 90 meters high.

We got the trail walk on one of those "unlucky days" it seems all the reviews I had read experienced all the apes and anything worth seeing in a short 20 metre trail to the cave, however we were ok with that..

We did the trip as a day trip from Sepilok and combined it with the river cruise down in kombantangan.

The cave itself was smelly as expected (but it grows on you....and stays on you for that matter haha) the bats were really cool and the creepy crawlies. I was expecting the ground to be seething but it was quite mild. I was slightly disappoints not to see the nest harvesting as I had read a previous review saying you must go between feb and (can't remember) as they are harvesting the nests....due to this expectation I thought we would've in luck. But perhaps to a degree we should spend less time relying on other peoples expectations and opinions and go and experience things for ourselves! Still worth a visit in our opinion.