“Staff stole money”

Winho Lodge
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Staff stole money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! STAFF STEALS FROM YOUR ROOM!

I would not recommend this place. We stayed here for 1 night. It is very very dirty, the bed is awfull. But above all: someone came in to our room when we were out and STOLE about 6000 ringit (= 150 euro's) from our bag. We are certain it must be someone from the hostel, because windons were closed and intact. We reported the matter to the very friendly owner, he seemed upset but also mentioned he was suspicious about a staff member. We had to go to the airport otherwise we would have done more. We did report it to the police at the airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jellybel06

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Prague
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

At first they couldn't find our reservation. OK that can happen. Finally they found it after couple minutes of looking around whole office. Then we got a key of room that was prepared for us. Once we opened the door, we saw somebody lying on the bed. I complained at reception - I really didn't want to share bed with somebode else's. We got new room. It was a little dirty, the bed sheets looked like used. I didn't like it there. Messy corridor, more animals in the bathroom than in the jungle.. I don't recommend it. Rather pay a little more somewhere else than risk your health or stuff..

Room Tip: Choose different hostel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sandakan hotels

Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Even though I've already travelled and experienced a lot and I'm not very picky with hostels, this was without doubt the worst travelling experience ever...
First everything seemed to be very nice there- the staff was very friendly and even offered us a cheaper price (I think they were also really desperated to get some guests) for a double room. But during the check-in though the first weird thing happened. They let me sign a sheet of paper saying that they are not responsible for any lost/stolen goods in the hostel. It just seemed kind of odd to me as I never had to sign something like that before. The guy even asked me twice if I understood this point. Well, I signed...

The next morning I understood why I had to sign this sheet of paper- When we came back from breakfast (included in the price) my mobile phone which I left in the locked room was gone. I know for sure that it was there before because by coincidence we took a picture of the room just before we left for breakfast and you could see the mobile on the bed. Obviously some of the staff broke in and took it (they have an extra set of keys at the reception).
Of course they claimed not to know anything...

Apart from that: The sheets in the room had stains and it was not very clean (but acceptable). But then we saw a big fat cockroach under our bed!!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anna b
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Squat toilets, sink and shower share same area...so dirty looking I didn't care to shower. Room looked liked it used to be a bathroom...had small tiles everywhere. Nothing felt clean. Old building that's surrounded by old buildings. Make sure there is more than one working key for your room, just a hint if u stay here. Close to everything and friendly staff. For the same price, 25MR, or maybe a few MR more you can easily find other accomm close by that's very clean, friendly staff and also newly opened!

• Stayed July 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel should be taken off from the Lonely Planet at this moment to keep LP's own trustworthy and reputation. Bed room and toilet totally are in run-down condition. Towel is not clean and has blood-like stained on cloth. Free PC and internet corner is available but all out of order. Not recommend at all!!

Room Tip: try to refrain from this hotel for a while until refurbishment and renovation take place
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

For what you pay it is great value for money! You get everything you need such as your own bathroom and ac and tv, the staff were more than helpful. You can get to sepilok orang-utans and the proboscis monkey sanctuary no problem. DO NOT go through travel agents it's so much cheaper to do it your self and also sooo easy!

• Stayed February 2012
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

The rooms are basic and dated, but very clean and with air conditioning. The walls are pretty thin though! Toast, tea and coffee are included in the price and there's unlimited free filtered water. We enjoyed our stay here - the owners were lovely and very helpful and we felt safe!

Room Tip: ask for private with aircon - we had four beds for the two of us and a private bathroom at no extra...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple