Uncle Tan B & B
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Sandakan
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Hotel Ramai(Sandakan)
View Hotel
All reviewsjungle campprice includesshared bathroomorangutan sanctuarybreakfast lunch and dinnerstayed hererainforest discovery centrerooms are very basicthe riverdormwifiaccommodationshowertaxisjunctionnaturekk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here with my family in 2009 and then came back with my boyfriend in 2012 because I loved it so much. The staff are probably one of the best things about Uncle Tans they are very passionate and enthusiastic about the wildlife and ecosystem around them. Both times I have been, there has been an awesome relaxed atmosphere. Everything is basic but I think that is what makes it so great. Both in 2009 and 2012 I saw orang utans and lots of other animals during the boat ride including crocodiles, hornbills, proboscis monkeys and eagles. I couldn't recommend it to open-minded nature loving people more.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night before joining the wildlife tour. I stayed in a dorm which was 48 ringgits including all meals. The room just had a fan, and was very stuffy during the day. There were only 2 of us in the dorm,'so the temperature at night was OK (might be different if there were 4 in the room!)

The food was an OK standard. Breakfast was toast,, eggs and one type of fruit. Lunch and dinner and maybe 4-5 options of curries/vegetables etc. Tea and coffee were available throughout the day.

The worst part of uncle tans were the bathrooms. In 3 months of travelling and staying in hostels, these were the worst bathrooms I've come across. There was a terrible stench of stale urine in the toilets indicating that it has been a long time since they were cleaned. The showers were equally bad - there is a green mould type substance growing up the walls of the shower room! Also, the plug hole was completely blocked after my shower, so I ended up standing in 2 inches of water.

Being budget accommodation does not mean that standards of cleanliness can be ignored!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank orlac2
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just stayed at Uncle Tans B & B. The place is clean and serene. Facilities are basic but it's value for money for the price it charges. Double ensuite room costs RM55 per head with the option of an additional mattress at an additional RM55. The price includes 3 full meals, breakfast lunch and dinner all of which tastes fantastic for my Malaysian taste buds. It also includes transfers to the Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary. The staff are also very helpful and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As others have mentioned, this is the normal stop before going to the wildlife camp. The facilities and food were very average for backpackers in the area. We arrived shortly after dusk, but despite our booking we were not expected. There was only power in the common area while we were there, and we were given a room in a large, dark, empty building on the far side of the camp. It was fine, but we were happy to be leaving for the jungle camp in the morning. It's probably much better when the power is working.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at ops the night before we headed out for the 3D/2N jungle your. It was amazing, saw so much wildlife and had a great time! The staff was really nice, had great food, and the rooms were good.

• Stayed: October 2012