I stayed for two nights ,three days in a Agamid Wing at the nature lodge and unfortunately walked away with mixed feelings of the whole experience. Firstly, my guide Arshad, was amazing. Very knowledgeable and was great at spotting wildlife. On the second morning I was there, about forty of us headed out in three boats to an orangutan nest we had seen the night before. We had hoped to be there when the animal woke up., but it appeared to still be sleeping. One the lodge's other guides got out of the boat (which we were previously told wasn't allowed because it was a sanctuary) went to the tree and start shaking it and banging on it with a stick, in order to try to wake the animal up. I was appalled, and a few others in the boats were as well That sort of behaviour doesn't live up to the eco image the lodge is trying to promote. I walked away thinking that perhaps, tours were hindering the animals that are still left in the wild.
As for the lodge itself, we stayed in the Agamid wing, and I didn't expect luxury, but i was hoping for clean sheets. Ended up sleeping on my sleeping bag on the mattress. If you do decide to go, I would opt for the less expensive cabin, instead of the chalet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rustic chalets and dormitory rooms set in Kampung Bilit Kinabatangan, be ready to watch abundance of wildlife from the comfort of boat rides. Transfers to and fro Nature Lodge Kinabatangan and meals are included in the tour prices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your Nature Lodge Kinabatangan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nature Lodge Kinabatangan Hotel Sandakan
- Nature Lodge Kinabatangan Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia