My partner and I stayed here in late April/early May 2014, two nights with a few nights away in between as we went to the Kinabatangan River. The first night we stayed here we got one of the older rooms, with a waterfront view. The room was quite old and tired, which is understandable given that they're in the process of renovating the hotel. The only issue we had with the room was that the safe was locked when we arrived, and despite two calls to reception and assurances that someone would be up soon to sort it out, no one came.
The second night we stayed we were given a renovated room (still waterfront view; same price as the other room). The renovated room was very nice and fresh, although it seems that the tap/basin could have been done a bit differently as the tap is so close to the edge of the basin that water goes everywhere when you wash your hands. The major issue we had with this room was that there was absolutely no cold water available - seemed to be a plumbing issue related to the renovations. We spoke to the manager and he apologised for the inconvenience, but advised that nothing could be done as no other rooms were available. This was a big problem for us, as the lack of cold water meant that we couldn't have showers (hot water was boiling) and the toilet wouldn't flush. We were not offered any sort of compensation which was disappointing.
Overall the hotel is in a great location and the updated rooms are nice, but there are clearly some issues at the moment. We would not stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strategically situated at the Sandakan Harbour Square, a prominent leisure and commercial hub in Sabah, S’kan Styles Hotel is a trendy, colorful-designed hotel standard facilities to accommodate both international and domestic travelers. This part of the beautiful Borneo Island has so much to offer to all travelers with its tropical paradise and renowned ecotourism adventures. S’kan Styles Hotel has 133 well-appointed rooms and suites with vibrant colors and design, overlooking either the waterfront or bustling Sandakan town. Each room offers the ultimate sleep with bedding, minibar, LCD flat screen TV, tea-coffee maker and free Wi-Fi internet access throughout the hotel. Private bathrooms are fitted with a rain shower. Near the hotel, guests will find an eclectic mix of unique shops and chic sidewalk cafes. To mingle with the locals, head to the central market where local produce and fresh-from-the-sea seafood can be found. The hotel is located only a 30-minute drive from the Sandakan Airport. Guests can also explore wide range of famous ecotourism destinations nearby, such as Sepilok Orang Utan conservation, Kinabatangan river cruise, Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre, and many more. TREATS Restaurant & rooftop, overlooking a beautiful ocean view where perfect spots for both business and leisure travelers to relax and experience the various food and beverage options available throughout the day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your S'kan Styles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swiss-Inn Waterfront Sandakan Hotel Sandakan
- Swiss Hotel Waterfront Sandakan
- S'Kan Styles Hotel Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia