“Brilliant”

and up
Full-Day Orangutan and Proboscis Monkey Tour from Sandakan or Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #4 of 30 things to do in Sandakan
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I do not know if we were just lucky but we used a tour company with a shop in town - I never use the internet for local tours - and the small mini bus has only 6 people and the site itself not many more.

Lucky because the big mobs off tour buses were not there to turn the display into a circus.

The monkies were fascinating and as natural as they can be in the circumstances. they could be observed close up and in the trees. They were plentiful and some cheeky enough to come onto the veiwing platform. One was holding a baby which had only been born overnight(placenta still attached).

Our driver was very helful making sure that we were at the best place at the best time.

It is a fair drive and we spent the day for the one attraction so nice and relaxed.

Word of caution though. The tour booking comanies in town do not open at the weekends or evenings. Maybe they do not need the money?

1  Thank rogerl044
There are newer reviews for Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary

Reviewed March 26, 2013

What a joy this place was. Clean and tidy. I arrived just as the monkeys were coming out of the mangroves. They do not come close to you but there were plenty of them and I enjoyed watching them for ages. Also Silverleaf Monkeys appeared with a golden child. They actually came onto where we were watching and stayed just walking around and taking it in turns holding the golden child. Really enjoyed this experience.

1  Thank KaylynGoldCoast
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have been to Labuk Bay twice during the last couple of years. The place one stays and the activities offered are more or less two different things. The lodge itself I find very nice, really reasonable priced and with great food. The bungalows are quite luxurious and the dorms are very nice, clean and functional as well. The location is really special as the lodge is located in a piece of Nipah mangrove swamp, which adds to the ambience. However, except for the Nipah swamp, most of the surrounding area consist of palm oil plantations, so walks from the lodge is kind of pointless. The activities, or maybe rather the activity, offered is very interesting. Proboscis monkeys, and sometimes grey langurs, are fed at two feeding stations several times a day. Last time I visited I went to four feedings during the day, which was very nice, as different animals came to the feedings besides the always present proboscis monkeys. Some of the bigger male monkeys are extraordinarily adapted to people, and as far as I know, there is nowhere one can get so close to a wild proboscis monkey.

Would I go again? Absolutely, I plan to visit again in 2014.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had a really great time here and even though it was a bit pricey, it was definitely worth it. We took the 930am mini bus from Sandakan Hotel and our driver took us first to platform B for the 1130am feeding, where we only saw about 5 proboscis monkeys BUT the best part for my husband and I was the 15 or so silver leaf monkeys that were just hanging out among the people. They were the most friendly and docile monkeys I have ever met. They were letting everyone pet them and hold their hands, it was incredibly cute and we got some amazing photos with them. Next we went and had lunch and then watched a documentary about the monkeys before going to platform 2 for the 230 feeding. We saw at least 40 proboscis monkeys here, they were EVERYWHERE. It was very entertaining. Everyone who worked here was really nice. This is a really nice place for the monkeys, they are protected and are fed and looked after well. I highly recommend it!!

2  Thank melanie1127
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I really enjoyed visiting this sanctuary because when they feed the monkeys it gives you an chance to see them at very close range and watch their behavior. It is also wonderful to be able to photograph them at such close range!