Seaventures Dive Rig
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewssun deckunique experiencemabul islandturtle tombdiving experiencegreat divingvip roomunlimited divingrooms are smalllive bandtable tennisfishsipadan permitsworld classartificial reefshower waterlow season
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 11, 2011

While diving in Borneo, we stayed at SeaVentures, a converted oil rig that was parked about a 1/2 kilometer off the island of Mabul.
It was a good base for diving. Since there were very few people when we were there, we were able to go to Sipadan any day that we wished. We could have gone every day, but we choose to go to Mabul and Kapalai on one of the days.

Some of the highlights of diving at Sipadan and Mabul were the large schools of Barracuda and Bumphead Parrotfish with turtles and clownfish everywhere.
and of course the Mandarin fish and the wonderful diversity of creatures..

The diving at Mabul (the island near the Seaventures Rig) was great although the visibility was quite bad, especially compared to Sipadan. Although the diving under the rig was good, there were some drawbacks. First, it is 60 feet to the bottom and I use air up pretty fast at 60 feet. Second, there was often quite a bit of current and we had to wait several times for the tide to change before going in. Even then, the current on the top could be pretty strong and with the poor viz, you could get turned around and come up on the wrong side of the rig (I did once) They do not allow diving after 8PM under the rig.
There was plenty of life under the rig, but if I were to ever go back to Sipadan, I would choose somewhere on Mabul where I could do 20-30 feet shore dives, even if it would cost me the opportunity to dive Sipadan every day.

We upgraded to the VIP suite, which is about 4 times the size of the regular rooms. It was worth it as I needed the room for my computer and photo gear. Wireless was hit or miss, mostly miss, in our room on the 4th floor. This is an oil rig and although converted it still feels like an oil rig, even if you are in the captains quarters.

The food on the rig was OK, not great. Just be prepared for noodles and hot dogs for breakfast. and a menu that is heavily weighted towards Chinese and Malaysian cuisine. If you need a hamburger option at every meal, forgetaboutit.
The dive setup (equipment, etc) was really efficient, although it took me a while to get the hang of where to get a clean towel.
Although the description on the web implies a complete computer/photo room setup, I had a hard time finding an available 2 prong outlet to use, even though it was far from full of divers, so make sure you bring enough of the UK style 3 prong adapters.

The diving was a lot of fun and I am really happy to have had a chance to go there. If I were to go back to Sipadan, even though I believe the value at Seaventures was great, personally I would probably stay on Mabul so that I could take advantage of the shallower shore diving. I am sure I would have been underwater a lot longer.
All in all I recommend Seaventures and Sipadan as a destination. The rig I would recommend if you want to maximize your trips to Sipadan.

More details and pictures at http://delargy.com/2010_10_Borneo/album/2010_10_borneodiving_Main.htm

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We were lucky to get 3 day dives at Sipadan! Visibility is not that awesome, but plenty of marine life. Dive Crew was very friendly. Some are from my home country - makes me proud to be a Filipino! They even have a band!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mai_valdez
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Location & Rooms : The rooms are small and the toilets were a bit cramped. Apart from that the rooms were clean with clean sheets and a good air-con. The price is a bit on the expensive side, but was totally worth it for the quirky experience of living on an old oil-rig in the middle of the ocean... well, you're actually just 200mtrs away from Mabul Isalnd but if you take the photo right, it does look like you're in the middle of the ocean ;)

Food & Service : The food is simply fantastic!!! The chef usually does a bbq once a week and it's great! There was always ample food and every meal had at least 2 seafood dishes + 1 or 2 other meat dishes --- Malay and Western style! The service is attentive and they will even notice if you arent taking one particular dish and ask you if you would like them to make something else for you!

The Diving : Well, this was the only thing that disappointed me a bit.... and perhaps it was because our dive-guide (was his name Mando?) was a bit blaze about the briefing and the dives. I was diving alone and wasnt buddied-up (this could be a fatal if ever there was a real problem). But the other guide (Irene i think her name was) was far more interested in the briefing and i thoroughly enjoyed my dives with her. So, apart from the one dive-guide everything else about the dive was great! Even the house-reff is quite nice with a resident massive barracuda!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

My 2nd stay at Seaventures in 6 months and I was not disappointed.

Standards are consistent, staff are friendly, helpful and professional. The rig is suited towards divers who are on a budget. Food quality and spread has improved tremendously since I was last here.

Dive instructors are honest and are experinced, making my 1 day dive at Sipadan flawless though they couldn't do anything about the bad weather. But still, had an outstanding trip.

Rooms are small, compact but you are here to dive and not to lounge about in the rooms. Comfortable enough though.

Would def. recommend this place and will return again.

Next thing they need to add is a massage facility where divers can get a 1 hour or 30 minute massage after a dive. At least they now have a telly so you can watch soccer match's on weekends!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We stumbled across Seaventures when we were backpacking Borneo and tried to organise a trip to Sipadan last minute. We only had time for 3D 2N from 27-29th December and everybody we contacted told us "Sipadan...forget it!" and were booked out until February. Seaventures guaranteed us one day on Sipadan and it worked out a lot cheaper than anywhere else. It turned out that we got 2 days on Sipadan, which meant 8 out of 10 dives were there! It was mindblowing!

We were expecting everything to be really basic from the price and reviews we read but we really couldn't fault it. Yes you are staying on an oil rig but the service and food are outstanding. The staff are exceptional and will go out of their way to help you (this included one staff member spending 20 minutes sawing a lock off our bag with a knife that had rusted itself in place with our valuables inside... all with a smile on his face. Dinners and lunches were great, we were really impressed with the spread of seafood and 6-8+ dishes in the buffet each night. The seafood BBQ that was put on one of the nights was even better! My only suggestion would be to have a few more cooked veggie dishes/stirfrys as they were predominantly meat, and a lot of backpackers won't go for the cold salad options due to the risk of gastrointestinal infection in South East Asia.

The rooms were fine with air con and well detailed with a nice bedspread and clean, crisp sheets. Whilst the bathrooms look a bit run down they are spotlessly clean also and do the job. We were also impressed with Seaventures emphasis security of our belongings with a key drop box and safety deposit box.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a wonderful stay! After 2 months of travelling and going to many spectacular places, our Sipadan experience is the one we just can't stop talking about! We will definitely be back!

We could not recommend more highly a trip to Sipadan. The diving is insane. We went to another top 10 dive site this year and it was no where near as good. The coral is just pristine due to the Island's protection - it is just like endless football fields of it in the most vivid and bright colours you could ever imagine, with millions of fish. Not to mention turtles, sharks, barracuda, bump heads, rays - who could complain? Seaventures is gold, especially the fact that they have a higher permit ratio compared to the other resorts it seems, and easily the best value for money. So go!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple