“Perfect harmony on a tropical island”

Bagus Place Retreat
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was a very special 50th birthday present from my wife. Eschewing the convenient, but boring way to arrive by plane, we took the more adventurous (and incredibly cheap)six hour bus trip from KL and the commercial ferry from Mersing port. As soon as we arrived on Tioman we were greeted with a huge, welcoming smile and whisked across the sea to the resort in our very own speedboat. From that moment on, the smiles didn't stop. Everyone working at Bagus made us feel so welcome and continued to do so for our whole stay. We can't thank everyone enough for making our short visit such a pleasure. Immediately off the jetty, our luggage was spirited away whilst we enjoyed a cocktail and welcoming chat and it was clear that we didn't need to worry about anything for the next few days - just relax and take in the beautiful surroundings, beach, flora and fauna, quietness and tranquility. Our chosen chalet was Rumah Laut and it couldn't have been more perfect. A little bit secluded from the beach and other chalets, we could open all the louvered doors and reveal the amazing beach below us. Evening meals are served, for all the guests, in one sitting and it's a nice touch to get everyone together once a day. Our restaurant hosts are equally warmly welcoming and serve wonderful Malaysian/local dishes. (Hot tip: They make best spicy Mee Goreng ever, served at lunchtime). A surprise birthday cake was smuggled in and made for a very special evening.
Arguably, the best things about Bagus Place happen on and off the jetty. The water was incredibly clear, warm as a bath and teeming with aquatic life. (There are no scuba facilities on the resort, but you will be richly rewarded just with the snorkeling! Take a snorkel, mask and fins and go for an amazing swim off the end.Take your time and you'll see plenty.) Then after a rewarding day of activities, a wonderful evening meal, we headed for the bar to enjoy a drink and the ever happy company of our hosts.
We left a few days later - sadly - but with the warmest feeling in our hearts. A short holiday which will last in our memories for a very long time. Thank you again Bagus Place. We hope you will sustain your privately owned resort and resist the rampant ,commercial, Langkawi-style businesses which are surely just around the next cove and we look forward to coming to see you again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tgmystero
There are newer reviews for Bagus Place Retreat

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

After a long journey from singapore, seeing the resort makes me feel all worth it with the bumpy bus journey and the 3hours delayed ferry. Would want to stay longer than 1 night. Lovely place for snorkeling and the accommodation was huge and very comfortable. I have chosen the rock house and the bedroom was overlooking the sea. But the food was just average and could be improve.

5  Thank Mary T
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Myself and my wife went to Bagus for our Honeymoon. It was amazing - we stayed in Rumah Lauh and the room was fantastic. The views, food, nature and people at Bagus were so unique and really made it a special place.
I hope I manage to return one day for jungle walks, shark feeding, turtle snorkelling and unlimited satay!!!
A final huge shout out goes to Vivian, Rosie, Mata and Ossie who are brilliant hosts and Eli and I hope to share a Cuban Libra with you again sometime :)

3  Thank Danny-Eli
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed here for three nights celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. Flew from Kuala Lumpur on Berjaya Air (currently the only airline serving Tioman) and had a bit of a false start when the ancient Dash 7 was forced to return to KL because of a 'technical fault'. However, we were quickly transferred to another, equally ancient Dash 7 and landed safely in Tioman, albeit 3 hours later than planned. Rosie was there to meet us and still cheerful despite the long wait she had to endure. The boat jetty is a short walk from the airport and we were quickly on the Bagus Place power boat for the 25 minute run to the retreat, arriving just after dark. First night we stayed in the Boat House - we both liked the quirky boat design and would have been happy to stay there but there is a steep internal open spiral staircase and as I was wearing a bandage following a recent operation on my foot the staff kindly suggested transferring to Flying Fox where the main bedroom and bathroom are all on one level. All the villas are unique and have really interesting designs. The staff at BP are all great and the bar on the jetty is a fun place to hang out in the evening. All meals were included in the price. Good choice of breakfast and lunch items from the menu. Dinner was a Malaysian buffet for two nights but a bbq was organized for the Saturday night. Gourmet food it isn't but it is all fresh and there is always something to like (I really enjoyed the stir fried squid). Because we were only there for a limited time, and me not being able to walk far, we spent our days chilling-out. The snorkeling is very good in crystal clear water and it was a great place to relax, read books and watch the sun go down over a cocktail or three. We very much enjoyed our short stay and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Book well in advance - there are only a few villas and they get booked months in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gordon L
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Would happily spend a week here! All meals are included in the pre-paid price. You pay for drinks/excursions on check out so it is nice not to have to carry wallets/bags around each day.
The staff are young, friendly, enthusiastic and care about the environment, each having a diverse background/experience/qualifications.
All meals are served in the dining area - dinner is buffet style with delicious offerings including some locally sourced seafood & vegetables.
The snorkelling around the pier is excellent.
We stayed in the Flying Fox chalet which was set high up but view spoiled by chalet in front - the only disappointing aspect but not a deal breaker for us.
The walk to the waterfalls is a must but leave early before it gets too hot.
Will be back for sure!

1  Thank LeefromHackett
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in Rumah Laut during August 2013. We wished we booked more than 2 nights. I'll cut straight to the chase!

## The good ##
- Arguably the most friendly and warmest staff I've ever had to deal with! They care about you having a good stay and are fun to chat with!

- I can't speak for the other rooms, but Rumah Laut was fantastic to stay in. It felt spacious and the balcony is a nice area to relax at. I'm normally picky about being comfortable in hotel beds, but had no problems at all. Although I would like a bit more water pressure in the shower, it was still good. If you want the most isolated room, pick this one.

- I really enjoyed the food! Dinners were my favorite as they would get everyone's attention to announce what dishes would be served that night. It felt like a little community when they did that, loved it!

- Since it's a private retreat, you'll only run into the people that are already staying there and maybe a few random people who decided to do some trekking along the beach. Coming from a crowded Singapore this was a welcoming change.

- We did some trekking to the waterfalls. I'm assuming it's about 5km with some parts that had rough terrain. If this is something you'd be interested in then bring some shoes and some food to have a picnic along the way. I found the path wasn't that bad to figure out as you're always following the electrical cables hanging on top. The falls was the only place I managed to see any monkeys!

- And of course, the beaches and water are absolutely beautiful!

## The bad ##
- This has nothing to do with Bagus Place, our way back to Singapore was awful. The ferry to Mersing AND bus to Singapore were both late. I left Bagus Place to catch the ferry at 9:30am. I didn't get back in Singapore until 11pm. When we called the ferry and bus companies to get more info about the delays they never gave us solid answers and sometimes just hung up. This was during Hari Raya holidays so this shouldn't be a problem for normal days. Try your very best to avoid Tioman Ferry Service, and Five Star Tours.

- The water was a little rough the first night, so I had some trouble going to sleep. Yes, it's that close! Slept great the next night though.

- I think some people would find it too pricey to stay at Bagus Place. I can assure you that it'll feel worth it though! My girlfriend and I are already talking about coming back for next year.

Room Tip: Although the most expensive room, Rumah Laut is also the most isolated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jlabbeTravel
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Bagus is a very special place to stay, the combination of an outstanding location with a staff that really make that extra effort works! We had four nights in the Rumah Laut accomodation which was just far enough away from the other biuldings to make us feel totally alone! The team in Bagus have great lead from Rosie and Vivian - and all the staff share their enthusiasm! Food was really always fresh, brilliantly prepared and simple.

As with the other reviews the snorkling and swimming at the retreat are great, but the Bagus team also lay on great trips to other locations. We will be back!

Thanks to the team we had a great holiday break!!

Room Tip: We really like the Rumah Laut
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple