“5 days in paradise”

Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort - Tioman Island
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spend 5 fabulous days at Tunamaya Beach & Spa resort.
We had reserved a garden family villa: it was quite small but enough for 2 adults. The room was clean and confortable.

The restaurant is not so expensive as in another reviews told: medium price for a dinner is about 90 Ringitt for 2 people.
The food is very good, maybe you're on an island and all the food is not available every time but the staff try to satisfy all your request.

The swimming pool is amazing but till now is not available the pool bar.

The Two Peaks diving is perfect. Rama - the master - was a bit crazy but the dives are really amazing. Ask to him if you are not looking only for shark and take time to see coral reef.

We want to thank "Boy" for is kindness and ospitality...we hope to be back.

1  Thank Ilmondoinmano

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was with my family (3 children 15,11,11) for a week at the Tunamaya after a round trip in Malaysia. The place is ideal to relax and to enjoy the see. We had 2 interconnecting bungalows, which were very modern, clean and perfect for a family. The staff is very friendly and helpful and we noted their aim to give quality to the customers. The restaurant offered à la carte or buffet dinner. Generally the service is very slow, therefore I suggest to take the buffet as it has more or less the same things you could have à la carte but much faster. The quality of food is good and we could taste a variety of good Malaysian food. However more European food is also available. The bar serves very good cocktails, (thank you Fabian for your fantastic drinks!). As the hotel is 30 min away from the main village and no connecting roads exist, you have the rare feeling to be on the "LOST" island. The main beach is nice, there are also other more isolated beaches 15-30 min towards the fisher village (to be visited as well as the waterfalls!). We rent the snorkel and could enjoy the fishes and even a tortue right in front of the hotel! The only negative comment we have is that we had to pay for the boat transfer. As there is no other alternative, this service should be included into the room price. The wifi connection is available at the lobby only and is very weak but enough to read emails. Generally we can say that we had a fantastic holiday!

Room Tip: Connecting jungle rooms for families and beach rooms for couples....
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked over the internet for a week's holiday. When we arrived the beachfront room was too small for a family of 4, so we found two interconnecting bungalows back from the beach which were very comfortable. The staff managed this very well, with no problems.

This is a nice new hotel with clean and modern rooms with good air-conditioning and facilities. The food is generally very good in the restaurant and the location is excellent, beachfront, etc...

The restaurant is good, but can be a bit boring if you are staying there for a week.

The house reef is only average at best, with a fair bit of damage done to the coral.

Overall, a fairly good hotel. Tioman style, which means not a lot to do.

Room Tip: Take the package that includes dinner - there is nowhere else to eat.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Overall the resort is in a quite and relaxing part of the island. Great to visit if you just want to go there and do nothing and relax.

The room itself is very nice - clean and new and all the facilities you'd expect.

Based on all the other reviews we were probably expecting it to be better than we got. Where things were a bit unexpected were:
- Swimming is difficult because the resort is on a part of the island that is more exposed to choppy/rough seas. Need to pay for expensive boat trips to get to other snorkelling areas where the seas are more smooth.
- There is only one restaurant and whilst price there is average by Australian standards, is very expensive for Malaysian standards.
- Food service at the restaurant is very slow. Mininum wait for food is 30+mins. Even at lunch, with only 4 tables, the food still took 40min to come out. The worse example was me wanting a take away container for left overs which took 30min to get. The same dishes was also prepared quite inconsistently when I reordered it subsequently.
- WIFI very slow.
- Beach completely disappears at higher tides.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights. The resort is not located in Tekek area, and the only transportation to the resort is their speedboat. I have to say I didn't have good image of the resort because we had to pay for the speedboat. They charge RM30 for one way ride for each person, no matter how many people are sitting on the boat. It's not like the stuff that you pay for one boat, and share the fare with others on the boat. I don't think the price is reasonable. And the reception staff who contacted me before just sent me a file to claim how they charge. On the file, it said they charge RM70 for the transportation from Mersing to "their resort." But actually, the resort only means to Genting village, and the transportation from Mersing is the ferry, which is not belonged to this resort. For sure the fare for speedboat is not included in the ferry fare. They made the typo, but asked me to pay. So I didn't expect a lot when I got on the speedboat, heading to the resort.

Even like this, the resort is really good and beautiful. I like the idea that putting a couch on the balcony(But it's only for the beach family villa). And the water in the infinity pool is really clear and light blue. I haven't never imagined that I could be able to swim in the pool like this.

Because the resort is far away from other bustling area, we could only have lunch and dinner here. The provide buffer which charge RM68 for adult, and if you don't want to take that much, you can have normal dishes. Just hurry up and occupy the seats outside the restaurant (On the balcony), and then you can have fabulous view of the beach and the sunset in the evening.

To me, the atmosphere is really good, and the reception staff helped me a lot. But the price should be considered for sure. I still think they charge too much, not only about the transportation, but also the room, since the room is really small ( You can tell from that the room became really crowded and there is no space for you to use their chairs inside the room).

這邊的消費真的太高了,但如果你渴望一個安靜、悠閒,又愜意的度假生活,這裡其實是個可以考慮的地方。記得,在海灘那邊潛水也不錯,可以去他們的dive center租裝備即可,tour package可以考慮預算再決定要不要。

Room Tip: We have 2 adults and 2 children. At first the reception staff claims it's totally suitable for u...
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Me and my fiancee spent 6 days at Tunamaja: the first 3 days without package, the second 3 days with the package. We were really between heaven and earth. We ate really good (try the fish plate for 2 people!), the people were really friendly (from the gardener, to through the people at the reception and at the restaurant, to the pool boy Fazul). The Manager worked so hard to help his employees and we found everybody great. The room are modern and clean, the SPA very competent and friendly. Try to go around the Island, to the waterfalls and to the jungle trip.
We would have liked to stay longer!

Room Tip: Beach cluster villa to enjoy the sea and Forest villa to enjoy the forest and the monkeys!
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 3 nights and 4 days. The location is quite nice with blue sea water and lush tropical jungle in the background. You can snorkel just outside the resort and it is quite fun. I must highlight that there is hardly any beach so evenings are probably best spent at the bar or restaurant overlooking south china sea. The view from the bar/smoking area is beautiful. You can see fish from the jetty and probably feed bread if you would like to.

We booked family beach villa and found the villa (its just single room with spacious bathroom) to be quite small but I liked the idea of sofa in balcony. The price does not do any justice whatsoever to the villa or facilities available in the villa. I found that water flow from shower is usually slow unless you use it in the afternoon.There is a fridge in villa but its empty unless you ask them to fill it up for you. When I asked for room service I got two separate answers on different occasions: 1) On Phone - "we only provide room service during the day before 7:00 PM) 2) In Person - "We don't provide room service". Well, it may not be a must have thing but at times you do need it especially if you are holidaying with kids. The food is okay and the breakfast buffet doesn't change (at least it did not change for 3 days I stayed there).

There is one thing missing from most of the reviews I read before deciding on Tunamaya - "Patience". Your patience will be tested, the service is very slow. If you don't mind waiting for 40 minutes before your order is served then you will be fine. The staff does need customer service training, as highlighted by a recent reviewer, except a few who try their best to help you.

Nathan, the chef, is one of them. He does a commendable job of greeting guests, asking for feedback and trying his best to help you out. He goes out of the way if you have special dietary requirements. I wish him good luck and success.

I find Tioman in general lacks the concept for customer service. I noticed that to a lesser extent at Tunamaya but larger extent at Berjaya resort, Berjaya air and at the airport Tioman airport.

Will I recommend :
Tunamaya - No, except you are going there with friends or as a couple
Tioman - I will probably not go to Tioman again !
Berjaya Air - Absolutely not, please read this : http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303993-i10386-k6714087-Berjaya_Air_Review_Singapore_Tioman-Pulau_Tioman_Rompin_District_Pahang.html

Photos: