“Island: perfect, but you could make so much more of the bungalows”
Review of Nazri's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Tioman
Nazri's Place
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Nazris one is probably the best accomodation on this beach of the island. The location is quite nice: at the end of the beach with the best beach-bar next to it (but hardly noisy, except maybe on the beach-front rooms). Also the main village with the duty-free shop can be reached in maybe 30 minutes walk.
Nevertheless, the rooms are very basic as everywhere in Malaysia (there's very little between 5* hotel and basic bungalow). We took the best room, which is in a concrete-building, so not a bungalow any more. Even though it was almost new, hardly anything was working (hot water, door, some electric staff). Complaining doesn't help, that's simply Malaysia and in the end you need nothing else than a bed and a (cold) shower.
The nice thing is that the whole beach including Nazri is still owned by locals. So while the service is maybe a bit more basic, the prices are ok (Nazri is most expensive, but also the highest level) and the people are quite nice: you see disabled people working in some restaurants and Nazri employs two ladyboys (most guests don't even notice I suppose), which I think is very good in a country where being gay is still considered offensive (it's not a resort for gays or so, but the locals and especially the owner of Nazri are simply liberal and respectful to anybody, which is lovely for this place!).
Breakfast is also included and very good: pancakes (sometimes french toast instead), beans, eggs (sunny side or scrambled, depending on the cook's mood), toast, fruits, sausages, etc. . Just the restaurant / normal food is not good there and should be avoided. When we were there, the fridge didn't work any more since days and it was like 35°C each day. The funny thing is that they got an audit in the restaurant at this time and still got a "B", the second-best grade. I don't even want to know how the other restaurants in Malaysia are... . For food, the bar next to Nazri or the restaurant at Nazri II are much better and not really far.
Rooms: the rooms in the house of concrete are the best you can get on this beach and have all balconies. There are also some bungalows in the back that look quite high-level. I wouldn't recommend the cheaper beach-view rooms as they're not bungalows and all four rooms are next to the bar and quite basic. There are better and calmer options along the beach if you just stay in a bungalow.
The whole staff is very nice and helpful if you ask for help.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank palmisano

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Several years ago I visited Palau Tioman for the first time (and ended up staying at another place). We soon found out that the restaurant at Nashri's place (at that time still under the management of Anita, on of nashri's daughters) was by far the best place to eat. Needless to say did we come back again and again.

As it so happened, I had my Birthday on Tioman and unbeknown to me had Anita been to town to get a Birthday cake for me. At ten at night the lights went out and everybody sang Happy Birthday. An act like that I call 'customer service'.

I have been back several times and stayed at Nashri one. The service is good, the people fantastic and has a very warm place in my memories. I have no hesitation recommending Nashri's Place to any person wanting to explore Tioman.

Room Tip: There is a range from luxury till backpacker, depending on your budget.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank AlternativesGalore
Reviewed September 10, 2011

located in a beautiful beach setting with a great bar on the beach which serves pizza's at night. The staff are very friendly and helpful and they place a great atmosphere but it was a little run down and our bathroom wasn't the cleanest. We paid for the delux room but probably wasn't worth the extra money, would just recommend on the superior rooms.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daisdais
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We (2 adults 2 kids 4 & 6) stayed for a week and this definitely the best part of the beach to be on. Much of the rest is unusable.

Rooms were okay, but not very clean. Safe and secure though and the staff were friendly.

We had problems with the food during Ramadam with the restaurant closed from 4 till half 7 and other restaurants nearby being shut.

On the positive side the beach bar and pizzeria have a superb happy hour each evening from 5 till 7 at which the whole beach seems to come to attendance in a very relaxed and enjoyable vibe.

My recommendation after spending a week in Air Batang and a week in Salang would be to visit Salang. Better swimming, beach and food options.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DonSyph
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed here for two nights and was looking for an upmarket alternative to the Berjaya Resort which had mixed reviews. The local dive operator, B&J, suggested this place. It doesn't fit that bill and didn't have Internet which was also something I had asked for (you can use the Internet for a nominal rate a two minute walk away though during normal working hours). Not Nazri's fault of course.

It's probably the best place in ABC which has a lovely village feel about it compared to some of the other places in Tioman. Nazri's is about the furthest you can get from the jetty where the ferry drops you off (sign says 11 minutes walking) but you can stop a motorcycle with a side cart to take you there. On the way back Nazri will give you a lift. If you have dive gear bring it to B&J (Eco divers is closer but a smaller establishment and their boat is less comfortable) and they will store it and then drop you off at Nazri's.

Nazri's is right on a lovely stretch of beach with plam trees dipping into the water all around you and the rainforest just above it. I stayed in a deluxe room which was plain but spacious. It was not super clean as there was sand over the floor and the bathroom tap leaked water and was never fixed after I reported it. My room was not serviced during my stay.
The restaurant serves a limited number of Malaysian staples and is reasonably priced and quality is acceptable if not great. The breakfast buffet changes daily and has a mix of Western and Malay favorites. Service is mediocre.

What makes the place is Nazri, who is very welcoming and who likes finding out what goes on in the world by chatting to his guests.

I was happy here despite this not being what I had signed up for, but I would try a more upmarket place in Tioman next time.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank poleinahole1
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed in the deluxe room for 4 nights. We didn't book before we arrived and we were lucky that they had 1 free room available. We looked at other chalets/rooms too, but they were very basic and not too clean.
The room had double bed, a bathroom and a balcony + breakfast in the morning.
The air-con worked but it was very noisy, there were cobwebs on the walls and it was not the cleanest place I have ever stayed in. Let's face it, they could have put more effort into cleaning and decorating the room.
BUT they put huge effort into welcoming us, the family was very helpful and very kind. Whatever we needed they were happy to help. All in all we were happy with the room and we had a fantastic time on the island!
The breakfast was good and the dinner was excellent! Try the pizza next door but don't sit right under the palm tree!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MajuExpress
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed at Nazri's Place for 2 nights. The first night we had Sea View rooms which were nice because they faced the Ocean and it was nice to sit on the porch in front of the room and relax. The second night, we had Budget rooms which I think were a little nicer than the Sea View rooms (bathroom was nicer and room actually seemed bigger than Sea View). I really liked Nazri's. Their restaurant was excellent and convenient. The location couldn't be better. I loved being able to walk out the door, put on a mask and snorkel and jump into the water to see beautiful fish, coral, and marine life.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple