“Dated Rooms”

Avillion Port Dickson
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed at the Beach Room, nice view, but room is dated though. Rooms need renovation. Swimming was nice, but water was a little dirty, feels slippery.
Breakfast spread was OK.
Beach was nice, good place to walk about.
Will return if the hotel has been refurbished.
Taxi fare to town was expensive, RM20 per cab per way. Return would be RM40.

Room Tip: Sea Facing
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Sabah_Girl

Reviewed February 27, 2014

What my family & I love most about Avillion PD is the relaxing and secluded environment the moment we step past the hotel lobby. We love the beach and the family pool, relaxing and enjoying the sunset and sunrise at the water chalet without leaving our room and the children enjoy a lovely and well kept petting zoo. I especially enjoy the spa and had experienced only good and relaxing services from the staff. The food is is just fair (don't expect 5 stars) but sufficient for the whole family. However there are local food-stalls, food-on-the-wheels just a few minutes walk along beach from the hotel and during weekend we love visiting the night market for a wide choice of local dishes, about five minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Water chalets further out to the open sea are quieter. Garden chalet perfect for family with toddler...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Leen S
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My friends and I stayed over at Avilllion PD this past weekend, at one of the premium water chalets. We did have an enjoyable stay overall – the SPA service and the service at the souvenir shop did much to make the weekend fun.

However one thing really marred the experience. We arrived at around 4PM from Singapore.

Tired and hot, I drove in and was told by several guards that there was no parking on the grounds and I would have to park across the road. There was also no valet service!

I was shocked. I dropped by friends and drove out to realise that no right turn was allowed – carpark was on the right across the road. Traffic was also heavy that day. I had to make a left turn head down the road to make a u-turn and back to the carpark.

Worse was to follow. I had to cross three lanes in heavy traffic. No crossing lights around. NO assistance was provided by the hotel.

It is truly appalling how little the hotel values its guests’ safety. I understand parking constraints but surely a valet service or even assistance crossing the road would have done much to show the hotel has thought through how to provide the best service to its customers.

Avillion says it is a 4/5-star resort? This experience unfortunately shows otherwise.

7  Thank Rose R
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you love to wake up to the sunrise without having to go to the beach so early in the morning, make sure you get the premium water chalet. You can sit on your balcony, have your coffee and enjoy the quiet morning with waves lapping underneath your chalet. Peaceful.

4  Thank MonicaM1967
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Avillion, the resort was quite lovely, we had a villa that was unblocked and view from the 2 balconies were lovely. Check in was decidedly lackluster, front desk staff was not willing to provide a third key to the villa. The villa was lovely, the additional third bed in the villa was a spacious double which allowed all the 3 of us to rest in comfort without having to figure out who was going to be drawing the short straw for the third bed. There were 2 open air bathrooms which were really fun and such a lovely surprise they even have a jacuzzi in the master bathroom.

We were given access to the AviLounge which was a lovely modern juxtaposition against the traditional wooden villa, the service there was wonderful on the first afternoon that we were there and non-existent on the second. We were left sitting there without a drink menu or service coming by the table for 20 minutes. This poor level of service seems to be to norm, thoughout our entire stay.

Breakfast was part of the package we bought and for both days they had run out of space in their breakfast lounge and we were shuffled to a second dining room one floor up, which was fine except for the fact that the service staff seem to perpetually cluster themselves in a corner and do not even notice basic issues (like when their coffee machine runs out of water, the buffet tray needing a refill, egg station was unmanned at the peak of the service hour, tables were not clean and not reset as guests finished and left the room). It seems that the hotel is ill-equipped to handle the crowd that they get at the hotel. We were told that this is actually a low season for them, if that was the case I wonder how awful the service would be in the peak season.

My personal pet peeve was a notice they slotted under our door on the morning of our check out. I had expected an invoice for my review and settlement for payment when I check-out. What I got was a note that said that said they could not accommodate out late check out request (which we had not asked for) since they are fully booked. I looked across the water to I counted six empty villas on on side and 2 other empty villas on the other. This was a check out for Sunday in what we have been told repeatedly is a low season. Hmmm...

All in all, despite the lovely resort, services has to be improved significantly to warrant a return visit.

6  Thank Synicgirl
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We spent two nights at Avilion. The resort itself is very nice. The grounds are well manicured and the rooms are unique and well planned. There are plenty of activities for children as well. The service we experienced was sometimes OK and other times non-existent. Check-in took about 30 minutes, although there was only one person in front of us in line and at one point seven (!) people behind the front desk. I was blown away by that and it left a very negative first impression. At several points during the trip servers told us they couldn't bill drinks to our room because their system was down, but they also didn't seem to know how to accept credit cards. For other requests, we eventually got what we were looking for if we pressed, but it seemed like the front-line staff didn't know how to do what we were asking so they went and asked their boss. The boss eventually helped us, but it just left the impression that the staff were neither empowered nor trusted. Buffet breakfast was OK but the staff were overwhelmed. Given the price we felt it was a decent value, just know that you will be fending for yourself, so to speak, when it comes to service. Staff were polite enough, just didn't seem empowered to actually provide great service.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mark M
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I want to like Avillion. It's great for kids as the beach is relatively clean, the swimming pools are child-friendly, and they even have a petting zoo. My tip would be to go for the garden chalets though, as they are a bit bigger than the water chalets and have a more convenient layout for families with small children. What ruined it for us thought was the service. It's not all bad - and for example the bellboy that took our luggage was warm and friendly. The problem is the variability - some staff are very good, but they are let down by the ones that are very bad.

Here are some examples of poor service:

1. We asked for an extra pillow but were told by reception (after they expressed a heavy sigh in general disinterest) that this was not possible. Really??? We asked one of the other staff who said that although it was policy not to provide extra pillows, they would see what they could do - 10 minutes later an extra pillow arrived. My question is why is there a policy for not providing extra pillows on request in the first place?

2. Reception only give you one keycard. However, you need a keycard to power the room lights/aircon. If you're a couple with children and want to do separate things, you need two keycards. Unfortunately reception won't give you one straight away as they may not have enough to check everyone in, so you have to go back later on the hope that they have some spares, and then pay a deposit. My question is why is it so difficult to provide 2 keycards? I don't think I've stayed anywhere else in the world where keycards are apparently in short supply.

3. My wife booked the rooms about a month in advance. However when I confirmed the booking nearer the time I was informed that the hotel was 'unable to honour the rates' agreed. This is particularly shocking and possible also illegal. There seems to much confusion about what rates apply to which days, and it is very difficult to get a straight answer from the bookings team - typically if you ask them what is the rate for a particular day, they refer you to a table which does not specify which rate is applicable!

It appears that these reviews are monitored by Avillion, so I would be very interested to see their feedback on the above points, and preferably not just the standard line of 'we will take action and address your issues', as there does not appear to have been much improvement over the last 6 months (the same complaints are still being raised) - I would like to see specific answers to the questions above. Perhaps if they can sort things out we will be back ...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family