“Quick escape from Kuala Lumpur”

Avillion Port Dickson
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Port Dickson was my childhood holiday destination. The trip stopped due to degradation of the beach and the sea over the years. I haven't been there for 25 years until now. With strong recommandation from family members who has been in this hotel, I took a chance. The beach is still not good but the hotel has won me over. Two good size swimming pools for children are the main hangout place for families. Free Wifi for the adult/children is highly appreciated.The pet farm and the roaming peacock were the good surprise. The room is with bath and shower and is roomy but it is getting old. One thing that baffle me is the wooden door in the shower room Come on wood and water??!!!. The shower room has fungus. I have seen some effort on maintenence in the hotel. If the hotel could tirelessly refresh its room, facilities and service, I have no doubt the city dweller or company events would flock for a quick escape. I would. Any slight slacking would definitely loss the faith.

4  Thank papo22

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Went to Avillion for a quick getaway with family from city life. So let's see …

Parking: Good. Quite near to main entrance

Reception: Very nice architecture. Has the 'kampung' feel, yet contemporary. HOWEVER, reception lady who tended to us weren't very friendly. Hey, come on, show your "Malaysia Truly Asia" smily-look like how it's shown on TV. She wasn't rude , but she could've shown us a bit more warmth.

Water chalets: Requested for water chalets over in Rangoon / Cochin. However, was turned down due to renovation / repair works going on. Was given water chalet in Goa instead. Balcony was half facing children's swimming pool, and the other half facing the sea. Requested for 2 chalets next to each other but was given room 522 and 524. Still ok. Room was lovely and nicely arranged. However, just like other comments, we found the daybed to be rather sandy. Pillow was big and very comfy. There was some problem with TV reception. Called up services, and they sent someone over. Now, he was nice. He didn't look Malaysian. Probably need to put him in the reception area instead of the lady previously.

Swimming pool: Nice. Many ppl with children. Has a slide in the pool but sadly my 2 y/o kid was not brave enough to use it. Neither was adult allowed to use the slide - which is totally understandable.

Crow's nest. Nice choices of food. They provided a small band which went from table to table to serenade songs. I think they were from the Philippines. About the waitress, sigh…. is she the twin sister with the other receptionist? Like The Joker would say : "WHY SO SERIOUS!?" Management should send these ppl to some communication course or should i say hospitality course.

Mini animal farm: The best highlight of the hotel. Very creative for Avilliion to provide such entertainment. Son loved it. Visitors were allowed to feed chickens, pigeons, rabbits. There were even peacocks roaming around the hotels freely. Very nice indeed.

AVI Spa: Didn't go for the spa. Went up with the hope of catching the sea view from atop the spa building. Unfortunately, we were told by the person there that entrance was only for Spa customers and those who stayed in the Premium Water Chalet. Again, communication left much to be desired. Felt as though we were illegal immigrants sneaking into their facility.

Check out: Bell boy was prompt to help us move our luggages to the reception. Not forgetting, service with a smile. At the reception counter, it was a different person, this time, a friendlier face.

All in all, a good place for a quick getaway from the concrete jungle. But certainly in terms of overall hospitality, Avillion can learn a lot from places like The Elysian, Seminyak, Bali. http://www.tripadvisor.com.my/Hotel_Review-g469404-d594928-Reviews-The_Elysian-Seminyak_Bali.html

4  Thank RKHB
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

When we first arrived at the lobby area, we were greeted by the calm sound of gamelan / gongs played live by a few men. It was peak period and check in queue was very long despite all 5 check in counters were in operation. But when its our turn to check in, all was a breeze and the front office staff were friendly and courteous.

We stayed at the Beach rooms which are at the tower block. When we opened the door to our rooms, we liked it instantly - it kind of sets up the relaxation mode. It's clean, neat and tastefully decorated.

There's 2 swimming pools - 1 for the kids and family and another infity pool concept for those who wants peace and quiet away from the other pool.

Wouldn't mind to come back here for another stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank VioletzAsh
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It was my getaway during my wedding anniversary. We do not want to go away too far thus taking a trip just outside KL. It was just me, my wife and daughter. It can say Avillion did it job as a good getaway location for us. Although the price is quite on the high side but i truly think it was worth every penny.

The checkin was splendidly fast. The room was ready straight away once we arrive at the place. We check in pretty late considering the jam that we had to go through from KL. Nontheless, it can still be considered a smooth journey all the way.

The only thing that i dont like about the place is that we need to park our car way outside Avillion area across the street. I would suggest Avillion to build a crossover "jejambat" as the car in front of the resort was quite fast and to cross it was very dangerous especially at night. It was also dark and i am risking my life every time I need to cross the street to fetch my car.

The facilities was great. The pool was nice. My daughter love it so much. They even organize activities for the kids. My daughter was thrilled after baking her own pizza. the kids room was also cozy. My kid was having fun coloring and playing with some of her new friends.

Food was also good. We had breakfast in the hotel and seafood dinner outside. There are good Chinese Muslim Seafood nearby as well, but you need to drive to go to that place. Since we stayed there 2 nights, we went out the next day to the restaurant outside the resort and it was ok too. So food isn't a problem.

The room was huge. It was a pity that we didn't get a king size bed but it was ok though. We still had fun chilling in the room. My daughter really digs the water underneath the room. It was cool. Beach area is also nearby the hotel so we had fun playing in the pool and also at the beach area. So basically, we manage to do quite a lot.

My daughter even got the chance to play with the rabbits. Although most of the time she was clinging to my wife scared, but it was quite a good exposure for her. On and all, we did quite a lot of things in Avillion and we enjoyed our time there so much. We will certainly come back again to this place and will recommend it to our friends and families to come here too.

Another thing bothers me which relates to your houskeeping service, my wife left her set of makeup and toiletries in Avillion and they agree to courier it back to us. However, we still haven't got our stuff till now :(. Really hope somebody from housekeeping do something about this as I am still following up on this matter. If it is not because of this, we get a perfect 5. Hawa from housekeeping is looking into it and I am still waiting for her resolution on the matter at the moment.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms near to the SPA area as it is nicer around that side.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Azra A
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I decided to spend Christmas last year with my family at Avillon, PD. I stood for nearly an hour (a VERY long queue) just to check in and imagine my frustration (pitied those with toddlers and babies) when the reception came within my line of sight; only TWO check in counters were active!
The guest in front of me was a regular and he said, "This is my third annual visit and nothing changes!" Why is Avillon not prepped for the holiday period? When my turn came, I asked the reception why and the answer was 1. shortage of staff due to some unforseen circumstances 2. not really sure since she's new!

All in all, it's still a nice resort to spend short holidays and the kids will love the petting zoo. The pool was packed, as expected, but the staff there was efficient. Rooms were clean and my complaints are:
1. not well lit;
2. TV intermittently disconnect;
3. WIFI really suck! No connection for the whole three days/four nights we're there! Had to rely on my 3G.
4, Christmas Eve buffet was not bad but high tea on Christmas day was terrible. All the leftovers from the evening before was served as another dish/recooked/etc. I realised that there will be definitely be leftovers and food should not be wasted but it was not tastefully done.

Recommended for low season/non peak periods where the staff would be more attentive and the ambiance should be more serene!

Room Tip: 1. If you love the sound of water/waves rushing/crashing during high tide, ask for chalets that are...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank teresayee
Reviewed January 14, 2014

If you don't go out and stay inside the walls of the hotel, it is a very nice place. It has 2 restaurants, one bar, 2 swimming pools, a tennis court, and other attractions like birds, rabbits, etc. There is nothing to do outside in Port Dickson, so you may as well stay inside the resort. The water houses are very nice, simple and clean. The only thing is that there is basically only half roof in the bathroom, and thus no airco as you are under the sky, and can see the dirty water of the sea. If you go there do not think of a nice swim, as it will not happen: the water is dirty. You can enjoy a beautiful spa although it is a bit pricey for Malaysia. Overall the staff is very friendly, but unfortunately they do not manage timely the check in and the heck out. Finally, prepare earplugs as night storms may prevent you from sleeping.

Room Tip: Ask for the room as close as possible to the spa, it is further in the sea, and the view is nicer.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelhabitss
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Avillion used to be a top class resort. But our last visit was less than perfect.

No doubt places degrade physically over time. But services should not. There were glitches between reservations and check-in. Information about the package and redemption of offers was unclear. Service at the restaurant was less than stellar.

While the place still offers a fairly decent holiday, it is no longer worth the prices that are charged.

Room Tip: Ask ahead and make arrangements beforehand to avoid disappointment. While the staff are friendly and...
4  Thank svsingam