“Over-priced. You'll find better value elsewhere”

Avillion Port Dickson
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This resort is lovely but, as others have also posted, is so over-priced I felt ripped off. And despite management’s posted reassurances that things will be rectified, they obviously don’t care that much. If you are looking for a short break by the seaside, head to Phuket, Cha-am, Kerala or Bali, they are better destinations than Port Dickson; cleaner waters (by far) and more off-resort activities. For the amount Avillion charge you can find a true five star resort at any one of these alternative locations. Consider:
Room furnishings were tatty, balcony door sticks, child’s pen doodle on the wall, toilet didn’t flush properly, exposed a/c unit in the bathroom. The spa experience was disappointing, massage most ordinary and, in general staff throughout the resort were least bothered – the outstanding exception being the staff in the aviLounge, who were brilliant.
Breakfast was a complete joke; totally understaffed and underequipped for the volume of guests. If you like to start your vacation day with a leisurely tranquil breakfast, STAY AWAY. On our first day, the egg station ran out of accompaniments for omelets, and on our last it actually ran out of eggs (and neither times were that late in the service period). Ridiculously slow, single serve coffee dispensers that needed, but were not given, constant attention by staff (clean tray, fill water tank, refill bean depository etc), lines five deep at the cooking stations and limited hot western breakfast choices meant sitting down with a hot coffee and a hot meal at the same time was impossible. One morning our table was given away while we were waiting at the buffet! And the staff were totally unapologetic about any of the problems.
The resort appears to be popular enough with domestic tourists, which may be why the management feel they don’t need to improve the service (or reduce the price) to compete with other international destinations. We didn’t have a terrible experience, but we won’t be back

Room Tip: If you must stay here, pay a little bit more for access to the aviLounge for afternoon tea and eveni...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dalbhat
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review…

We regret to note these which fell short of both our expectations in terms of service levels rendered by the resort team for your stay.

There is no excuse for such service standards at the Resort. However, we do assure you that this is not the norm for the Avillion; and we will most definitely address operational matters to improve on areas noted.

Looking forward to welcome you back again!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We looked forward to a peaceful and relaxing weekend getaway, to stay on the water chalet and enjoying the sound of the lapping waves underneath our chalet. All spoilt by a wedding party, starting at about 7 pm on 9th Nov, with their loud music well to past 10 pm. I complained to the guest services only to be told that the wedding is expected to finish at 11 pm. It was taking them too long to sort out the problem, so I went up to the wedding planner/organizer myself and asked them to shut off the music. She was very understanding and agreed to do that. Very disappointed though with the hotel management to allow such an event without much considerations of other guests at the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the 700 series or above, better view of the sea
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Anneeza A

Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review.

Please be assured that we have taken note of your unpleasant experience on the loud music during the wedding.

Should you decide to return for another stay, please do let us know and we will be very happy to accommodate and welcome you back for a return stay.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We like our challet style room on the ground which had king sized four post bed and a day bed. However the bed was too high. It was hurtful for a child to fall off the bed when sleeping.
My children liked the bath tub.
Breakfast in buffet style was good in variety and tasted good.
A great place especially for children because they get cooking class and pet feeding sessions.
They even gave us welcome drinks like lemon grass drink.
Definitely better than Avillion Admiral Cove.
Nice sauna and steam room.
Children like the pool with wet slide. They also enjoy the playground and children club.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank J Y

Thank you for the short and sweet review!
We are glad to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to welcome you back again!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a great hotel with an extremely nice outlay as a old fishing village in a beautiful garden close to the beach. We (man 43, wife 39, daughter 3,5) stayed 6 nights in a sea bungalow and the room is good, the (half open air bathroom) is fenomenal. The food in the restaurant(s) is good, for breakfast as well as for dinner. Choice of menu is a bit small and prices, when compared to local eateries, more expensive, but still extremely doable when one looks at European or American level. The staff is very, very helpful and goes out of their way to help you. The set up with the 2 pools for families and one pool for adults only works surpriselingly well: this father also 'escaped' once in a while to the large pool to get some excercise done. There is also a small but sufficient gymnasium and a nice little pet farm foor the little children where every day they can pet the rabbits, turtles, chickens, peacocks etc.
At saturdays there is a night market 500 mtrs down the road (just walk, it is safe!) that is a feast for the eyes, nose an taste buds. A trip to Melaka or (with small kids) to the small jungle forest at Tanjung Tuan (monkeys! to is also recommended.

There is only one slightly negative thing to say: the sea in this region is not good for swimming since it is the Malacca Straits and very busy with boat traffic, which is disappointing since the beaches look very inviting. Stick to the pools and bring, as always in coastal areas in Asia, good insect repellent.

Room Tip: While sleeping in a sea bungalow the view is great and the feeling very relaxed, but the breaking of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hendrik70

Those compliments are so heart-warming…

Your kind comments are most value and our team would be delighted to know their efforts are appreciated.

Let us know when you visit next so that we can assist you with bookings.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This place is nice enough, however, for the price, there are a few things to be recognised. Stayed in a one bedroom water villa priced at approx £240 per night. This is fine, but when the surrounding circumstances are taken into consideration, it is not good value for money. A few hundred metres along the beach is a rave (literally) morning, noon and night. Starts at 07.00 and goes on unto the wee hours. It was like being in the middle of Pacha or Space in Ibiza. No ear plugs to hand in the villa. So the tranquilly of staring at the sea is somewhat over ruled by the trance music blaring out at all hours. On closer inspection the youngsters attending the rave set up tents on the beach alongside their cars (not such an attractive viewing from the £240 balcony!) Then, for a place that advertises "a flie problem" you'd expect some mozzie spray. No such luck. So a quick wander to the hotel shop should solve it. No - "they are out of stock". Surely the one thing that should be high in stock is mozzie spray if they have a known problem. Just get in your car and stock up from the local supermarket! You'd expect a "one bedroom water villa" to offer privacy at this price. Well, there I was a 07.00 on Sunday morning (woken by the rave music) making a cup of coffee to be greeted by my neighbour on his balcony staring at me in my birthday suit. Nice! The neighbours balcony protruded one metre further in to the sea than mine, and there was no partition on the last metre - giving him prime ogling. Even the partition in the balance of the balcony is paper thin with slats. So zero privacy. It's like sharing your outside space with strangers. In the hotel, if you want something, my best advice is to ask a few people. You will get a "no" from one, a "maybe" from another and a "yes" from another. An example. My partner asked for a milkshake. He was told they don't serve milkshakes. I arrived 10 mins later and asked for a milkshake from a different waitress (unaware of his previous request). Low and behold, a milkshake arrives. Cappuccino in the morning. I asked 3 different people before I got the cappuccino. Chopped chillies for the omelette. Omelette man said " no chillies on menu today madam". So I ask a waiter for chopped chillies from the kitchen and they arrive. The ceased salad was interesting. 90% romaine lettuce - yet the romaine lettuce was charged as an "add on". I have no clue what the ceased salad would have consisted of if I had not had the romaine lettuce. In fairness, when I pointed this out, the additional charge was removed. Felt like ordering Lasagne but being charged extra for the pasta! I also expected a pool for £240 a night in a private water villa. Maybe this was unreasonable of me and I did not read the description well enough. I was disappointed. There was no consistency in anything with one exception. The best thing about this place was an older Masseur (gentleman). He had been a masseuse in the army massaging generals for 22 years and boy did this man know about client expectations and customer service. His name was something like "Yayha" - absolutely fantastic. Make sure you ask for him. So, place is nice enough - but wanted to write the above so you arrive with no false expectations and maybe book one of the lower end rooms as close to the "spa side" of the resort (i.e. away from the Ibiza rave) so you do feel like you have value for money - as we certainly feel over charged for the quality of stay we had with peeping toms, rave music and ever hungry mosquitoes!

Room Tip: Be as close to spa as possible as this is the furthest away from the daily beach rave - so should be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travel_Trinkets

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us…

Your comments have been relayed to our team to ensure more efficiency in the future.

The Management hopes this isolated case will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

The team looks forward to welcome you again in the future ensuring that this time around, you will experience true Avillion hospitality through and true!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

To be frank, everything about this hotel was good - we stayed in the water chalet and loved the "kampung" (village) feel of the chalet. The open bathroom concept was fantastic - I could hear the sound of wave crashing everytime I used the toilet. Due to the reviews that I read before staying here, I made sure that the doors and windows were closed most of the time to get rid of the mosquito problem.
For those who love the beach, it was quite a long walk to each end of the water chalets. One thing I liked about this hotel is the pet farm - my children loved to feed the chicken, rabbit and birds which were not afraid of the presence of human. The swimming pool was nice and we had a great time splashing water.
Not much choice for food when staying in this hotel but the good thing is that PD Waterfront is quite hear - you can have Japanese, Thai, western food and have drinks at the bistro.
I gave it 4 stars because of the overall relaxing environment but I reserve my 5-star rating to my all time favourite hotel - Thistle Port Dickson.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BL_Leo

Thank you for the review!

We assure you that your comments will help us to improve in the areas mentioned.

Your continuous support will be appreciated and to receive high compliments for your return visit means a lot to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed for a night at the water chalet on a getaway trip with my wife and on first impression, really well decorated and had a laid-back feel of a village resort. I was given room 912 which was right at the end and facing the beach. A long walk to the reception area but nonetheless worth it for the privacy and view, although not the best compared to the sea facing villas but still reasonable. Loved the open bathroom concept, large poster bed and elevated balcony over the water with the deck chairs although didn't used it much. Facilities wise, the adult pool and Pet farm are my favourites.

Now for the downside, didn't have a good sleep due to mosquitoes buzzing at my ear the entire night even though we had closed all the windows and doors. Don't know how they got in but it must be a big problem there as we were also bitten at the pool. Adding to that, the air-conditoner gave off loud thumping sounds in the middle of the night that we had to switch it off and turn on the slightly less nosier ceiling fan. I guess these are all signs of age, wondering when was the last time these were replaced?

Distance to PD-waterfront where the food & groceries are was about a good 10 mins drive. I did not try the spa although it was well recommended here in Tripadvisor due to the lack of time and also the prohibitive pricing although we were given a $50 voucher.

Overall I gave it 4 stars due to the entire relaxing environment that I particularly enjoyed although I didn't enjoy my sleep. Also I do wish to add that I probably gave it 4 stars due to the fact there wasn't a crowd due to it being a weekday. I did not experience the lack of parking space that others have mentioned although I can see that there is really limited lots. The pool and pet farm were relatively comfortable also due to the lack of crowds.

Room Tip: Ask for sea-facing units when you book the room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Winson1818

Thank you for such a detailed review of our resort…

We have taken note of the comments provided and have channeled them to the necessary teams to assist improving our services to help serve you and our future guests better.

Should you decide to return for another stay, please do let us know and we will be very happy to accommodate and welcome you back on your return stay