“Good resort, great for kids, patchy service”

Avillion Port Dickson
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Port Dickson
Singapore, Singapore
“Good resort, great for kids, patchy service”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Location: along the beach road 3 miles from Port Dickson
Hotel: Water chalets, garden chalets, regular hotel building, vast property, well kept, private beach and water sports, spa, 2 restaurants, live music in the evenings
Room: we took water chalet with king bed, side seating area, open shower, balcony with seating
Positives: good property, well kept, adult's swimming pool, lot of activities for children, good food (non-veg)
Negatives: service was patchy, not enough options for vegetarians

My wife and I went to Avillion for 3 nights over NY and we had booked our room with the NYE dinner (which wasn't compulsory, unlike most resorts). We rented a water chalet (only difference between water chalets and premium ones are that the premium ones are farthest out at sea). Our room was quite spacious with a king sized bed and a separate dewan by the window to relax during the afternoons. The bathroom area had a bathtub as well as a well concealed open roof shower. No complaints about cleanliness. Do carry insect repellents as the mosquitoes/flies can be painful after a rainfall, especially if you are close to the beach.

The service was a bit disappointing especially when it came to vegetarian food, we ordered a coffee and hot chocolate by the pool and both came at almost room temperature, however, the waiter took them back and got them freshly prepared. Even at the restaurant on the very first meal, the waiter forgot to place the order for the garlic bread which eventually never arrived. However, I must say that they took extra efforts on 31st night to ensure that my wife ate a 4 course veg meal. The international food selection was wonderful at the Village Court restaurant every evening and the resident live band was playing music to my liking (60s to 90s with a few recent pop hits).

This resort is great for kids as they have kid's play area, kid's swimming pool with a slide, water sports. The kids can even feed the birds and other domesticated pets every morning (I saw all kids enjoying this activity). Do get proper directions to the resort if you don't have a GPS system as the exit from the main highway can be confusion and there aren't enough boards guiding you to the resort. The service, except for these 2 incidents and slow check-in, was good, the staff was very courteous and very polite. Had there not been these incidents I would've given the hotel a 5 star. We didn't make use of the spa as the rates were almost more than Singapore standards and hence we didn't find it worthy.

I'll certainly go back again when we have kids, wonderful place to spend new year's eve with them as I saw most kids enjoying the pool party that night.

Room Tip: I would get a regular water chalet and make a request for farthest possible room. Temasek block is c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveleator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Was not sure what to expect after seeing some negative reviews, but we really enjoyed our stay here. We had a standard water chalet and we all thought it was super cool to be in a room above the water. The room was a perfect size for our family of four. The open air shower and large bathroom was a treat. We found the condition of the room and of the other chalets to be good- remember these rooms are above SALT WATER- they had a pleasantly weathered charm. The grounds and facilities were immaculate. We were there on a super busy weekend, New Years Eve, and we felt the hotel and the staff handled everything very well. Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mvmalli
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked a Premium over-water chalet for 2 nights based on reviews we came across. I must say I was initially impressed by the room lay-out & facilities (bed, outdoor shower area, day-bed, 24 hour adult pool, sauna/steam roon) however this was soon tarnished by the extremely appalling service of their staff (front desk and wait staff).

On our first evening, me and my mates decided to hit the pool and order a bottle of wine to be delivered to where we were. The waiter comes back 10 mins later saying they've run out of reds and only have whites so without a choice, we decided to get a bottle of white instead. 15 mins pass, and he returns with a chilled bottle of red (not white) and tried to convince us its the same thing! We were adamant we wanted a bottle of white (who chills their red wine?!) so he goes back and takes an extra 10 mins before he comes back with our order.

That night we decided to hit Crow's Nest (in-house restaurant at Avillion) for dinner. The wait staff did not know much about the menu and was not very helpful. We ordered the set menu and was shocked by the quality of food served. The steak was over-cooked and the seasoning was off. Breakfast was not all that great as well. They had to send us to another level due to lack of tables (peak season) resulting in guests waiting for at least 15 minutes to be seated.

A couple of our friends arrived the next day to check in. We had initially requested for their rooms to be placed next to ours. This request was not acknowledged and to make matters worse they were placed in a room with 2 single beds instead of a King-sized bed! When I called front desk, I was informed by a certain Ms. Chong that the were no King-sized bed rooms available, she even made an inappropriate comment about my friends sleeping on the day-bed if we really wanted a King-sized bed. Upon multiple calls to front desk and having spoken to management they finally agreed to the initial request we made at 7.30pm that evening!

All in all, the appalling service by their staff had left us questioning the value behind Avillion PD's room rates. I would not recommend staying here if you are seeking 1st class value for money service at your hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Unsatisfied_DK25

Travelers are raving about these Port Dickson hotels

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We spent 3d2n here and it was the best holiday ever! If you are looking for a hotel for small kids this is the one - farm animal(rabbits, tortoise, chickens, peacocks)- monkey plucking the coconut tree - playground - kids area - beautiful beaches - kids pool with slide! The only thing is make sure you book the days on when these activities are running. Personally i love the food and it has all the variety. The staffs are all really helpful and friendly will smile and greet you when passing by - as if we re family. Love the room and bathrooms - if you get the chalets on the stilts the shower area is open aired haha! Love it. Writing this review makes me want to go back again ahh..will definitely come back with kids. Keep up the great service! Thank you our kids loved it!

• Stayed November 2012
Singapore
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I checked in with my partner on the 29th, while my 4 friends who came from Sydney gathered at Avillion the day before us(28th). Rooms were real clean, complimented with a very nice rain shower concept inclusive of a day bed. I did not get the liberty to enjoy the view due to time spent checking in to an unfriendly receptionist. Service was really poor as they could not give me a double bed room which I wanted, instead they gave me single twin bed despite my friends who arrived a day earlier told them specifically that we wanted rooms next to each other. What blew my top was when the receptionist told me to sleep on the day bed. It's frustrating that the staffs have got attitude problem towards guests. I sincerely hope the management could improve more on their service, cos I'd like to visit this place again.

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank victorypig
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at one of the water chalets, can't remember the name but our chalet was the one overlooking the Spa.

Anyways... here are some points from our stay:

Plus points:
1. The pool - clean, with options for adult pool, and open 24 hours. Yeay!
2. The day bed in the water chalet was super huuuge! They even provided an extra, very, very plush blanket in the closet for guests sleeping on the daybed.
3. They use those plush pillows in the chalet. We slept very well throughout our stay.
4. The petting zoo - kids loved this very much. Don't miss the daily feeding session at 10 am!
5. The sunset - dont forget to catch the sunset from the water chalets.
6. The breakfast spread was okay. Not much to shout about but wasn't too bad either. The omelette could be improved though.

Not-so-bad point:
1. Some of their staff (at least the ones that we encountered) don't know the area well. One that we approached for direction to our chalet responded our question with "Errr.. I don't know, ask the counter", and another one whom we approached for the direction to the beach answered with "no, no, don't know". Hmmmm.
2. The beach was murky - probably that's because it's in Port Dickson and there is no crystal blue beach in Port Dickson.
3. the aircond compressor next to the outdoor shower turned the shower area into a sauna. Very hot.

Can't think of any other bad points.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to come again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank IzzyMustafa
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

we went to Avillion child free for a wedding.
our first Asian holiday as a couple.
loved the luxury of the resort and the cleanliness and well groomed gardens was lovely.
It was novel to have the day bed for reading when it rained and was bit exotic been on the water
the water was a bit of a surprise but this is the Malacca Straits not Fiji
service was slow but the waitstaff friendly and respectful

Room Tip: over the water is bit exotic
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends