“Oops! Thistle surprise me once more!”

Thistle Port Dickson Resort
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Port Dickson
Kuala Lumpur
“Oops! Thistle surprise me once more!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

During the stay in Oct 2013, my family were overjoyed and immediately we placed another booking coming back in Jan 2014.. Yes, indeed... we spent another 3d/2n in Thistle PD.. This time we came in a bigger group - my family, my in laws...

This trip, we stayed in upgraded Seaview room... Great help from Mr. Raj, the v helpful CS Manager... the great view from the room overlook the swimming pool and sea side... Wow! even my in laws were impressed!

Like the previous trip, the kids enjoyed the swimming pool, unlimited Wii game, sand art drawing, candy hurt (The Kid zone's officer really spoilt the kids with so many candy!)... we have the heavenly great time during our stay! Oh yes! the pillows is superb! soft and comfy, I fell in love with it til I asked most of staff what brand and where they purchase it from ... I hooked with the pillow! haha!

Thistle staff are friendly and helpful...All of them are 'walk the talk' of Thistle PD's 5stars rating!

Cant wait for year end family holidays in Thistle PD again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HappyRabbit9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I have various issues with this hotel.

1. Don't believe their own ratings, it's really only 3 star.
2. It's rooms are old and starting to show their age
3. It's much more expensive than it should be.
4. They claim to provide unlimited jet skiing for deluxe rooms. However, you try getting to use it. There is only 1 jet ski, shared amongst all the rooms. It also frequently breaks down.
5. The kayaks are all out of commission.
6. Restaurants are expensive for what you get.

In summary, would be ok if it was 3 star, and you paid for 3 star. But it costs much more than that, and shouldn't.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Travel-Luxe1

Travelers are raving about these Port Dickson hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Thistle port dickson is best service resort at port dickson.I check in with a indian girl.I think name is Jasintha at reception.She will explain everything very nicely.I would like to thanks for her.Room very nice and beautiful.
Food all also very nice.Service at restaurant very good.But need some improve in service.
Time i check out jasintha give best service and talk nicely.Raj that guy also very give best service.This time i would like to thanks reception manager because give good training and maintain best service.This reception counter two staff i will remember my lifelong.
I will come very soon as possible for family day.I choose this resort for my family day because first reason jasintha and second reason raj.I realy happy because they give very best service.Thanks all staff at thistle.
Again i repeated same thing only : THISTLE PORT DICKSON BEST SERVICE RESORT IN WORLD

Room Tip: Suite room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Previn91
Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Went there for company team building. Excellent condition, rooms and facilities were in good shape for our task over there. The beach was clean and the lawn area also in well kept that was good enough for our activities.

The main pool is big enough for all of us and we have a great evening that day. In a nutshell...I would make another reservation.. some time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden is quiter than facing the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank azman690
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

It has truly been a great experience and a real opportunity for me to experience the Malaysian hospitality at its best.

from the wonderful arrival experience being greeted at the front with towels and refreshments this really set the tone of how you will be looked after.

My room was very comfortable and has a picture postcard view; Where I could sit dreaming of never returning to the UK!

But it’s the team at the hotel that really shone through and made my memories of Port Dickson a lifelong memory, and this experience was right through the hotel.

However there were a few of people that really made a strong impression on me, And they are really acting and in highest guest service which I have experienced worldwide.

Abd Asri Bin Rasah, from first introduction he showed that he has a passion for the restaurants and my experience in trying them out, he shows great knowledge of the restaurant and products and wherever I was wondering in the resort as soon as I saw me, he would always come over to catch up and converse with how my day was going, on a personal level even offering suggestions for which Malaysian gifts I could take home to my family.

Ravi who is looking after the banqueting at the hotel. Again he made a great introduction which I guess is a quality he should embrace with being able to look after large events at the hotel, he produces a great feel in being able to connect with people very fast a personable.

There is one person at the hotel that has made a huge impression on me. From checking me and later taking me on a tour of the grounds the assistant front office manager Nichalraj chandran (Raj) has been my soul friend of Malaysia.

This gentleman without hesitation has throughout my stay always been offering me great insight to the resort when delivering a sincere and professional interaction which would put a lot of London’s leading hotel concierge to shame.
He is naturally a great ambassador for the property and in observing him with other guests he embellishes them with his enthusiasm at every given interaction.

A little story on making my great stay memories:
I was talking to Raj that Asri had suggested some gifts I could buy, and asked him if there was anywhere local I could taxi to buy these.
He immediately said that he would love to take me to the local market and then went to get his car.
Not only did he take me to the local market he assisted me with purchases for all my family whilst translating for me and describing best suitable gifts.

This person is truly a customer service leader.
I will without hesitation always remember Raj as my best memory of ‘Malaysia’

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Richard W
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Most reviews on here appear from Malay locals so My impressions having travelled "a little"....

First impression count right?

I arrived via taxi and the bell / doorman (there is no door as the reception is open air) watched whilst I unloaded my luggage and walked toward reception ; no greeting / no assistance. Tried to charge me a full day for 3 hour extension on late checkout in my 3rd day….grrrrrr – not a good start.

Major disappointment. rooms are tired / cleaning is average and the bathrooms are plain grubby. Huge (short) beds that you have to sleep diagonally in if you are (as me) over 6ft tall.

• 3 restaurants but really only 1 ever appeared open
• Just 1 lift to service 6 floors
• Impossible differential in air-conditioning must have been set at 16 degrees when outside was 32 or so - everyone in our group left with colds.
• Wifi is 5mps…at best..just as well it’s free…

The hotel is quite away from anything else and sorry to say – Port Dickson is a dump.

I can’t see myself ever returning…

Room Tip: ocean view....ummm no really great rooms just keep away from the 1 elevator
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Bflow66
HK
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed there over Christmas for 6 nights. The hotel itself was very nice and probably the best I've stayed in Port Dickson. A number of minor issues:
1 - the shower power was very weak - more like a dribble
2 - on one evening there wasn't any hot water so had to call housekeeping to see what the problem was. Took 2 hours to fix
3 - the gym had no towels so if you forget to bring one, you will have sweat running into your eyes or you could use your underpants to wipe your brow
4 - there were too many flies at breakfast
5 - housekeeping is a bit of hit and miss. On some days, they would forget to replace the towels.
6 - please give the spa a miss - I felt like a piece of pork being pounded unceremoniously by some butcher.

On the plus side:
1 - pools were very large
2 - pool chairs were plentiful and we never had problems in getting a decent spot
3 - games area were fine. However, the tennis balls and table tennis balls were well pass their prime
4 - even during peak periods, there weren't that many people in the play area
5 - parking was plentiful and close to the lobby
6 - room service food was fine.
7 - lots of free facilities e.g. cycling, tennis