“One of the better hotels in PD”

Thistle Port Dickson Resort
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Port Dickson
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“One of the better hotels in PD”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Thistle is so far one of the better PD hotels currently. Check-ins and check-outs are tolerable and tastefully done. The staff is generally helpful.

I have been here twice, once with my wife and the other on a company boot camp :-) I have to admit that while the beach is nothing but rough sand, the pool(s) are damn nice places to hang out in.

I got a very nice room. The room is very nice. While not exactly spotless, the room is very comfortable. Translation: worth the money u dump in for a holiday or two here. Food-wise, the selection is pretty decent although you are spoilt for choices if you venture into the resort's vicinity.

I would recommend this place to everyone...while it is still on top of its game *grin*

Room Tip: Try to get rooms close to the elevators - most visitors are those seeking rest and relaxation, not r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RIzalAbdullah
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted that you took the time to review the hotel which indicated that overall, the hotel met your expectations. I do hope you will continue to choose us as your favourite 'hang-out'. When you are ready to return, please do contact me if I can be of any service..

John Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Decided to just pop by with the family for a Sunday night stay to escape the Monday blues.

Upon arrival, we get the impression that this place is nicely tucked away from the outside part of PD. A very modern looking lobby area awaits and a staff serving welcome drinks.

I won't say that the staffs were all very well trained as most of them hardly smiled or bothers to even greet you. Other than that, everything else was quite splendid.

Took a seaview facing deluxe room. It was nice, modern and had enough space. A small balcony that over looks the huge pool and sea. Activities for the children includes ball games, sand art, a play room and others to keep em happy for a quite a long time!

Breakfast was not the best but definitely sufficient. Didn't get to try the other restaurants as we decided to drive out for some local delights which was all along the main road very nearby to the hotel. Had a drink at the bar which has a live band playing.

I've stayed in many hotels in Port Dickson over the years. This is surely, by far, one of the best. I'm not sure why the other person complained about WiFi but I managed to connect to a reasonably fast network at the resort area for free.

Keep up the good work but do spend more time training your staff to be professional and courteous!

Room Tip: To soak it all in.. a seaview room is a must!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JasonGAAA
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you consider us one of the best hotels in Port Dickson. We will use your feedback to further improve our performance and ensure that we get the "smile" right, every time.

Many Thanks again and please contact me if I may be of any service. Contact details may be found at the top of this page.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Rooms are very noisy with constant sound coming from the fridge and also air con ventilation.
Lobby does not even provide free wifi, which in my opinion is absurb.
Restaurant's food are nothing to brag about but are charging expensively.
Breakfast menu are the same. have been here on Dec 2012 and now at Jan 2013. the menu still did not change.
Quite far from PD town and no shuttle bus to town. it will definitely be a problem for those without cars.
Overall - overly charged hotel with nothing to show

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank JENNY_LING_SL
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am obviously very sorry that we have let you down so badly on this occasion. We will, of course, take this feedback on board and make every effort to improve our service delivery.

The Engineering team are looking into the noise in the room as I write this response. Free Wi-Fi is important and we have been working on this for the past few weeks. We hope to launch this service in early March.Regarding the restaurant and shuttle bus, I will discuss your comments with the team and we will come up an appropriate solution to these issues.

If you would like to go through your review in more detail, or if I can be of any service in the future, please contact me via the business listing at the top of the page and I will do my very best to restore your faith in our resort.

Once again, many thanks for your review. I greatly value all customer feedback as it is the best measure of how we are performing and highlights where improvement is needed.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

When we first checked in, we requested for a garden view, thinking that we will get a view of the golf course. Unfortunately, the view we got at the 5th floor was just the roof top of the building below. The room we were given was a bit gloomy, lights were not working properly, the toilet was a bit smelly and the TV remote was missing and it took the staff more than half an hour to send one. We later requested for a change of room to the sea view and got a room at the third floor with a view of the pool and the sea. Much better. The room was bright, airy and the reception responded to our request very quickly. We had a nice quiet time there and my soon enjoyed the pool very much because it has varying depths. Unfortunately, for breakfast the next morning at around 9.30am, the room was crowded, food was not replenished as quickly as we hoped for and table was not cleared. We had to get the cutlery by ourselves and had to wait a while for the food. As one of the best hotels in PD, I wished the food selections were better. I also think it's high time the hotel provide free internet at the rooms since many lower star hotels are already providing this.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and ask for a sea view. It's worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ummi_ridhwan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just to drop my review for this hotel, because I love this hotel so much beside Avillion Port Dickson. These 2 are my favorite hotel in PD.

I've been staying at Thistle Hotel few time since there were name by Guoman, and the hotel and staff never let me down.

SUMMARY
- Nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff - My family love to stay here.
- Hotel look even more better after the change from Guoman to Thistle. I think they did some refurbishment.
- Spacious lobby and nicely decorated : Felt very welcome when you arrive there.
- Room was nice and make u feel very comfy : Love the bed! - Tips, as for the sea facing room on the high floor, so that you can see nice view of the sea and sunset.
- They have a big swimming pool and kids pool. My son love the swimming pool.
- I like the breakfast NICE! :D : But during school holiday please go early breakfast. otherwise no place to sit :) maybe the breakfast so good people tend to eat in the hotel rather go outside to find for breakfast.
- They have private beach, nice and the beach only belong to Thistle, you not sharing with other hotels, so it not crowded. Wife love their beach.
- The have bar / cafe at the beach. Nice! love the view and cozy decoration by the beach. At night they have life band, not sure now.

Overall I personally like this hotel and recommend for couple for family to stay either for short stay or for the long stay.

Room Tip: higher level room ask for sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CareTaker_77
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Children friendly hotel when it comes to food. Below 6-7, kids eat free if adults opt fir buffet. I am somewhat surprised with the lower prices of food in this hotel. Kid's menu costs rm10 and above and good enough for kids. But I hope they have healthier food selections.

Bummer that the main pool is deep. 1.8-2.5m. Too deep for novice swimmer like me. Children's pool is too small.

Not much of activities for children in this place- I mean nature related ones in light of natural resource in surrounding (should do a big sand pit area for children to play on the beach). Video game room, movies are not my idea of good activities.

My car broke down upon arrival. And I needed cash to pay for the repair. Hotel made rip-off arrangement with taxi operator. Short distance to and fro costed me RM60.

That's the only sad experience that marred our experience with this hotel.

I was standing behind the front desk waiting for my turn to check out. The manager ( a westerner) suggested for me to take a seat at the waiting area and will shout out to me when the front desk is free... I never got a called and had to queue up all over again.

Should have better front desk management at busy hour.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Yaphster
Malaysia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed from 24/12-26/12. The hotel itself was nice and certainly improved from my last stay (previously was Guoman). There are pros and cons from my stay that certainly made an impression.
check in was smooth, but the front desk was not aware of the "Signature" rewards programme.. she promised to come back with info... which she unfortunately didnt care about.
We had the xmas eve buffet dinner... average selection of food with watered down coffee...
Breakfast selection was ok. The roti jala was amazing, but I could not say the same about the egg station as the omelette prepared looks more like scrambled eggs with tiny bits of ingredients. coffee was much better for breakfast.
The room was clean and was very comfortable.
The main swimming pool was well maintained, the cleaners clean them every morning. as for the pool by the Cumulus bar,.. it was filled with sand, it seems like everyone just came over for a dip after the beach to get rid of the sand before heading back!
1 positive comment is the great staff (I didn't get his name), he was in charge of the pool bar and the morning breakfast. Despite the busy crowds especially during Christmas breakfast, he still maintained his smile and attend to customers needs and he was really polite to the guest... that is customer service!

Room Tip: higher level rooms (4 and above for the seaview)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family