“1st honeymoon (low budget)”

Thistle Port Dickson Resort
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed July 1, 2012

left PJ for a low-budget-HONEYMOON
originally planned to stay at Selesa Beach Resort, good greeting... was asked to look around and stuff... came back, duty manager was VERY RUDE and unwelcoming... and won't wan't to show us the room... rusty kettle, buttonless doorbell, changed rusty kettle for one that wasn't working... took only one night because was tired of all the driving in the day... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP food served during dinner and breakfast, not much variety at all... so we left after almost sleepless and restless night (noisy air-conditioner & loads of insects)... couldn't even make love...

my wife and i checked out Thistle on the very next morning at about 10am... the hotel staff were more than welcoming, friendly, polite. Service was legendary... even though we didn't pay for a honeymoon suite nor package, we were shown a memorable stay please look at what they turned our Deluxe Sea View room into when they knew we were on our honeymoon... pictures below are evidence...

we expected this to be more expensive but also more 'pretty to the eye' (in terms of room quality) BUT their LEGENDARY SERVICE totally makes up for it a hundred-fold... will DEFINITELY return! and recommend! was a million times better than Selesa Beach Resort in EVERY WAY!

*** for those who have experienced comfortability of any sort, should have just voiced out sooner to the duty managers or the reception... don't complain behind people's back when it is already too late

Room Tip: Anything facing the sea will be good, the higher level you're at, the more view... unfortunately...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Michael_CM_Ong
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for the very positive review of the Resort. It was our pleasure to be of service to you and your lovely wife and I am proud that the team did their best in ensuring that your honeymoon was memorable.

When you wish to come back next, I would be pleased to look after your booking personally. I can be contacted via the business listing above.

Once again, many thanks for your comments and may I take this opportunity in wishing you a blessed and blissful life ahead.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is my 2nd visit to Thistle Port Dickson but it was not as expected and can be said worst off from the first visit.

BELL SERVICE AND RECEPTION
I got to the hotel at about 10pm and was not greeted by anyone except for a lone security guard. When asked where the bell person was (as I had a luggage) he said he did not know but proceeded to assist me with the luggage which was good.

Check in was smooth but could have been better with a warmer reception (and perhaps a hot towel especially for someone who is checking in at that hour)

THE ROOM
The luggage was delivered to the room but was just placed on the floor as there was distinctly missing a luggage rack for my luggage.

The telephone in the room was not beside the bed but on the writing table making it inconvenient to answer calls on the bed. Dragging oneself up after a wake up call to was also an inconvenience. Light switches too were everywhere and a small switch hunting session needed to be done to turn all the lights off at night. Overall this shows that the room is not user friendly.
The TV needed upgrading as they were still not using the flat screen one.

HOUSEKEEPING
Only plus point, the bed was comfy and the room was clean.
I requested for an iron and ironing board which was promptly delivered but it look like equipment which survived WWII. The board cushion was warn out to the grills at the base of the board making ironing my shirt more of a embossing process where the grill marks was traced on my shirt. The iron too was the old fashioned heavy metal ones with frayed wires - again a safety hazard.

INTERNET
I have a bone to pick with all the 5 star hotels which do not provide wifi services in the rooms and the function rooms for free. I don't see the logic of this when all the other new boutique and budget hotels are already doing so. In this day and age where most guest are needing access to the internet, why do you not provided this service as a value added competitive
necessity. We are already paying a premium to stay in hotel, so what is so difficult for the guest
get ready access to the wifi throughout the hotel ?

FOOD AND BEVERAGE
it was atrocious. The buffet line lacked any imagination by the chefs and was bluntly put BORING. One great example was how the chefs tagged each dish. They simply put the main ingredient of the dish eg "CHICKEN" or "BEEF" or "MUSHROOM" on the food tags. This was just plain lazy on the part of the chefs or cynically just wanted to insult the intelligence of the guest. (PLEASE SEE THE PHOTOS BELOW)

My findings of the food variety and quality

BREAKFAST - what I would find in a 2 star hotel
LUNCH - what I would find at a 1 star hotel
DINNER - what I would expect at a budget hotel.

If you have chance to dine out of the hotel, please do so and don't waste your money on the food there.

FUNCTION ROOM
The function hall unfortunately was worn down. Carpets has seen better days and I was given a room for my seminar which had a interesting window with only one curtain (it was a window that needed 2 curtains) as part of the standard set up with no explanation until asked why it was so. It was on my insistence that the curtain was put up mid way through my seminar. (please see photo of the "standard set up")

There were exposed wires where the plug points were which was a hazard. Overall the banquet service was good but the tea break like the F&B in this hotel as unimaginative and even served sour coffee.

SERVICE
Overall there was a lack of warmness in the service at his hotel and felt plastic. The only really "human" service provider I met was Mr Dheva Muniandy who was the Meeting and Events Manager who knew what he was doing to make the guest feel good and also managed to avert a potentially fatal situation (no fault of the hotel) during my seminar. I believe he is the new blood and together with the New GM I hope they can turn things around to make Thistle be the true 5 star hotel and not a 4 star masquerading as a 5 star.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fabfidel
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Calm and serene environment as the hotel building is located away from the main road.
Soothing view of the golf corse while driving to the lobby.
< 100 metres from private beach.
The lounge/bar is located right beside the beach, away from the main building to ensure guests at hotel rooms are not interrupted with music noise from the lounge.
The Italian restaurant serves pretty decent food (but small portions).

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have fantastic sunset view or green golf course view. The higher, the better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElanDavin
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed for two nights in June 2012 in Thistle Port Dickson. It's a 4.5 hour drive for us from Singapore. We had a good experience staying at Thistle Johor Bahru, so we were fairly confident that this would be a comfortable stay. And it was. Rooms were clean and non carpeted (we like!), bed was big enough to fit two adults and two young children, food was decent (important cause we didn’t drive out to eat). Our 3 year old and 5 year old enjoyed playing in the Kid’s Room.

And most importantly, the pool was nice =) There is a wading pool with yellow slides. Slides drop into a shallow pool of water so our children could opt to go without floats. There is another pool are for children with a blue slide but that falls into a body of water that’s 1m deep, so we didn’t play there as much. The rest of the pool ranges from 1.2m to 2.5m.

Just behind the pool is the beach, but we only ventured there once. We didn’t stay too long at the beach wasn't super clean. In fact, it was quite deserted as all the hotels guests were at the pool area instead.

One improvement that I would suggest for the hotel is to clean the top deck of the wading pool a bit more thoroughly. The floor there felt a bit dirty. Other than that, the rest of the pool was clean.

Thumbs up to the good service provided by the hotel staff Sharmala (from Steps), Anisah (from front desk) and Joe (from Fresh)!

2  Thank Janerty
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments and for mentioning Sharmala, Anisah and Joe - they will be thrilled with this.

We are delighted to hear that you liked the hotel and we will take immediate action on your comments.

It would give me great pleasure to welcome you and your family back and when you intend to do so, please do call me and I will look after your booking personally. I can be contacted via the business listing above.

Many thanks again for your review.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just came back from a 3 day 2 night stay at the standard room. The room that we stayed in was obviously refurbished but there were parts that were in need of a fix. The woodwork on the room could have been sanded and given a new coat of paint as a start.

There was a massive crack in the toilet door, almost looked like someone was trying to punch through it. The handle of the toilet bowl was flimsy. The hotel did fix it after we asked but it broke off again.

The good thing about this hotel is that its a resort hotel with a lot of space and the children enjoyed the space thoroughly. The slides down the pools were a hit. The great experience however was dampened by the poort cleanliness of the pool . I had the unfortunate experience of swimming past a clump of hair in the pool and picked up several pieces of newspaper at the bottom of the pool.

Service for me was mixed. The staff were efficient and polite but I felt I was staying in a business hotel and not a resort.

Also there is only 1 set of lifts and no stairs up. So you've got to wait a spell for vertical transportation.

We've stayed at another hotel in Port Dickson and I felt that their property was a bit more intimate and had more of a resort feel despite the small land area that the resort occupied. Given the rates for this hotel are on the higher end of the scale at Port Dickson, I was really expecting more.

Room Tip: ask for a room that's far away from the lift lobby. The resort has very poor sound insulation an...
2  Thank PLKV2000

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and please accept my apologies for our shortcomings. Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously and we will use your comments to further improve our service delivery.

Once again, many thanks for your comments. I greatly appreciate all customer feedback as it is the best measure of how we are performing and highlights where improvement is needed.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Decided to stay at Thistle after reading the numerous reviews on tripadvisor, and was definitely not disappointed!

One thing that struck me the most was that the room looked exactly like the 'professional' photos on the hotel website, so I was relieved.

Service staff were very friendly and helpful, and made the stay very pleasant.

There is a spa that we went for, which was pretty relaxing, though not as good as the one I had in Bali a year ago.

Food wise, there are many restaurants and food options in the hotel itself, thus eliminating the need to have to travel outside. Unfortunately though, our breakfast experience at one of the restaurants was slightly marred by the presence of pesky flies (even though the place is air conditioned).

There's actually not much to do here, except some water sports, so it might be boring for long stays. But its a pretty decent place for a short relaxing getaway. :)

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank bottiebot

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate the fact that you have given us some ideas for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle in the future.

Once again, many thanks for your review.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights.
1)Booked 4 rooms; 2 standard and 2 deluxe and requested for all rooms to be on the same level and wing. The hotel met my request and gave us the rooms opposites of one another on the highest floor. And we got a connecting room for the deluxe rooms. I wasn’t aware of any connecting rooms actually

Also, we had an earlier check-in at 1.30pm instead of 2pm as all the rooms were ready then.

2) There are ramps almost throughout the hotel. Which is a plus point as my mum is in a wheelchair. So it was easy to maneuver her around the hotel. BUT..it would be great if they could have a ramp and a tiled walkway to the beach. It was still manageable for us to push a wheelchair but having the above would be great, not only for wheelchairs but for baby prams as well.

3) Huge bathroom with even flooring. So another plus point for mum to move around the bathroom.

4) Decent b’fast spread with fairly decent proportion of local and western fare (the usual spread of cereals, toast, pancakes, salad bar etc)

5) Staffs are friendly and they speak good English.

6) One of the deluxe rooms had a faulty flush (which is uncalled for) but what make-up for it is the quick turnaround for the maintenance staff to repair it.

7) Tried their Spa which is located next to the guest’s carpark. Was quite surprised with the masseuse’s technique (didn’t get her name though) as she hit all the right nerves and pressure points, and I came back to my room with a less aching shoulder.

8) Agreed with other reviewers about the thin walls. Also, I think the doors at our standard rooms are faulty as instead of slowing down before its closes, it will just shut abruptly with a loud bang. The deluxe ones are okay though.

9) I saw the pool being cleaned in the morning though. So perhaps it is clean. And the lifeguard is rather strict with their pool regulations. Saw him nicely telling a group of ladies in t-shirts and pants that such attire are not allowed in the pool as only proper swimsuit is allowed. I think it’s a norm in Malaysia that people swim in tshirts, etc. in swimming pool.

Some bugging factors…

On the 2nd day we were there, apparently it coincides with a few corporate retreats. The b’fast buffet was rather chaotic and plates were left uncollected..the coffee was not filled etc. I wished they could have allocated better staff management or a scheduled bfast or separate rooms for such big turnout.

And yes…the biggest bugging factor is there is only ONE lift to serve the all the guests on each wing of the hotel. I just don’t get it why the architect or planner can’t install another lift instead of just one lift!

Overall, it was a good stay. Too bad that on the 2nd day we were there, it was rather hazy and we didn’t manage to see the sunset as the deluxe room offers a great point to watch it. I wouldn’t mind staying here again if they keep up with the service standard.

We drove from Sg and followed the route given by the hotel website. Do note that after the exit from Seremban/Port Dickson where we followed the signs to Teluk Kemang, it was a good 20-30 mins ride before we reached the roundabout. And after we turn left at the roundabout, it was NOT a 5 mins drive to Thistle, but est 15 mins drive instead even w/o much traffic.

Room Tip: rooms on the 6th floor offers the best view and less noisy compared to the ones on the lower level.
1  Thank fidah_sgd

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered. I will look into the issues raised and will ensure that we improve in these areas.

Please do return for a better sunset experience and I would be pleased to look after your booking personally. I can be contacted via the business listing above.

Once again many thanks for your comments – I greatly appreciate all customer feedback as it is the best measure of how we are performing and highlights where improvement is needed.

Yours sincerely,