“Money Well Spent! Great for Kids!”

Thistle Port Dickson Resort
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I booked Thistle for my entire family, and got 4 standard rooms. Booking online was a breeze and when we arrived, all the rooms were ready! Checking in was a bit slow but I guess there large groups checking at the same time so it was understandable. But they do need to add more fans or airconds at the lobby cos it was hot.
The standard twin rooms were all right, not much to complain because we were going to be out most of the time anyway. Only thing is I'm not too keen on stone floors which gets cold real fast, but you get what you pay for.
Since we had 8 kids in the group, most of the time was spent in the pool and the beach. The kids play area was great and I like it when a hotel actually has life guards working. Some hotel life guards just sit on their high chairs and look bored, but at Thistle, they do look out for guests and they do remind guests if they're doing something wrong or the kids are too close to the deep pools.
We tried most of their facilities for kids including the movies room which was nice and cool and also the kids play area, which I find should be free and not chargeable. But the play area was a good alternative when the kids were not swimming.
Breakfast at Fresh was crowded because of the large groups but the food was okay. Enough choices to satisfy the tummy, but service was slow. I think the staff were overwhelmed when the crowd was big so perhaps next time they should have more on standby.
The ladies tried the spa and found that it was of average quality. Ambience is good but the massage was average for some.
Overall, I think Thistle is a great choice if you're coming down to PD and want to stay at a good hotel/resort. I know most of the other hotels have poor reputations and service but at Thistle, the kids had a great time so I'm pretty pleased with that. I'm definitely coming back next if we choose PD.

Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is our 2nd stay in Thistle this year, and we were just as happy this time. The pool is wonderful for chldren, they have two kids areas with water slides, plus a big pool and a jacuzzi - the area is large enough to accommodate the hordes of screaming kids who were staying there at the same time! The pool is open until 10pm, which is very nice as most hotel pools close by 7 - my daughter enjoyed swimming by moonlight.

The rooms are very spacious and done up very well, and the bathroom is really big too.

The hotel is a bit noisy when filled with lots of kids, but i guess that's what happens when it's a family hotel - don't stay here if you're looking for a quiet romantic getaway, not during the school holidays anyway!
The hotel staff are friendly and cheeful, and make you feel at home. We noticed that there was supervision of staff at many areas, eg during room cleaning after check out, in the lobby and restaurants - that was good, as it means that standards will be maintained.
The beach and sea were very clean, with lots of trees overlooking the beach. Since they have a large lawn heading to the beach, it would be nice if more deck chairs were available for guests to laze on while enjoying the sea breeze.

A few not so good points :- 1. The checking in was very slow, took almost 20mins per guest which made for a long queue of hot people as the lobby is not airconditioned - perhaps more fans should be installed, and something done to speed up the process. Checking out also took quite a while. They did serve drinks to guests who were waiting, so that was a nice touch.
2. You have to pay RM 15 to use the kids play area - i feel that's a bit unreasonable, as most hotels offer this for free. To charge for doing arts and crafts etc is okay since there are consumables involved, but to pay just to play in the area?
3. Limited lifts so may have to wait a while during peak times - but if you don't mind climbing stairs, it's not so bad!

Room Tip: For seaview, ask for higher floors
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Very nice hotel with private beach n big n spacious room. But not value for money!

Reviewed May 26, 2011

We have traveled extensively throughout Southeast Asia over many years and stayed in many hotels. I realise with an opening line like that I sound difficult or hard to please, but nothing could be further from the truth. My experience on this my first and last visit was truly and genuinely disappointing, especially from the perspective of customer service from certain members of their staff. Though my impression of the hotel itself, was that it is very nice, the facilities extensive as expected, the rooms are modern and sizable with a nice view of the pool, the breakfast buffet excellent and the pool was fantastic.

We stayed with our two young children (Age 2 and 7 months) for one night only. Upon arrival in our vehicle after a long journey the parking attendants and the porters were very helpful with the luggage and even allowed us to park right out the front of the hotel. We checked in late, approximately 8.30pm and were shown to our room. We settled the kids into bed and were about to have an early night ourselves when we realised the airconditioning was no longer working. We quickly called reception and they sent over someone from maintenance to look at it. Maintenance spent 15 minutes in the manhole in our room, flicking the power and lights repeatedly on and off during this time. Which although perhaps necessary to fix the problem was an annoyance as we had two children (one a light sleeping baby) sleeping during this time. With the airconditioning working again we all went back to sleep and awoke about 2am feeling hot and sweaty as the airconditioning had broken down again.

Reception called maintenance again and this time a different man came to fix and took a bit of tinkering. No resolution, no suggestions on fixing the problem and it was very hot in our room by this time. Tired of the situation My husband got dressed and went down to reception to ask for another room, something they should have offered us in the first place. They complied and fortunately moved us next door and they at least checked the air-con was working there beforehand.

Reception didn't apologise and didn't offer any compensation, tired of the situation my husband asked for a late checkout and breakfast for two. They agreed which was appreciated, but still a minor consolation as we had to move our sleeping children and all our luggage ourselves to another room at 2:45am.

The next morning we had a great breakfast, nice food and a vast selection. My eldest son and my husband went for a swim and he had a fantastic time, especially on the waterslide. We later put the boys to sleep in the room for late morning nap and were anticipating a late checkout at 1pm. At the regular checkout time the power in the room went off and could not be turned back on by a quick call to reception. Incidently there was an overload and the power tripped. We'd decided enough was enough and we left early anyhow.

Room service was laughable. While our food came quickly, the portions were measly for the amount they charged. I ordered a caesar salad with tiger prawns expecting a large full salad but it was a plate with enough lettuce leaves to cover and 4 miserably sized prawns. My husband ordered a steak sandwich and it was small too. We were still hungry.

Walls are thin so you can hear everything up and down the hall and in the rooms next door.

Upon checking out, my husband waited in line. During this time a leader of a travel group also checking either in or out kept interrupting the staff at reception and decided he was more important than everyone else waiting and should be served when suited him. What was most annoying is that the staff pandered to him and fulfilled his every request while everyone else waited in line. This happened on several occasions. When he finally made the front of the queue he waited to be asked to sit down, another guest came and stood in front of me and yet again reception served him first even though she clearly knew he was not next. Frustrated beyond belief he then interrupted her and asked why she served him first, she replied that he needed to sit down and wait.

When it was finally my husband's turn the receptionist was cold and frosty and made him feel like I was the rude one in this situation. He checked the break down of charges she printed out and noticed we was being charged for a room that I had already pre-paid online. With that we realised that this was indeed the worst service we'd ever received on the whole at any hotel stay, anywhere. Perhaps our experience is isolated and perhaps even a one off. Though the fact remains it happened and what I've written is a factual and balanced account. I may give this hotel another try because it seems to most decent in the area but will call ahead and give them an earful of my expectations. Our stay could have been much better without all the hiccups.

Room Tip: decent rate on Agoda.com
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Sheba31
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stayed here for four nights from 14th-18th May, from the moment we arrived we were treated extremely well, the bellman Sara helped us with our bags and gave us a run down on the resort then showed us to our room.
We stayed in room #638 6th floor right in the center of the building the most gorgeous view of the beach and resort pool.
The food was wonderful through out the resort with Chinoise our favorite restaurant, we spent most of the day relaxing in the pool and enjoying the sun. All the staff went over and beyond our expectations and were extremely friendly and helpful.
Our only gripe was the spa offering us services, then once we booked a time then informed us they were out of the product used for that treatment.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Ausc
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We Just came back from two nights stay at this hotel. Overall the hotel was good. The only complaint was the room. No privacy at all. The wall was not sound proof. You can hear clearly what happening to the next room guest. The worst part is, our room is next to a family guest. However, after minor argument, we managed to move to a room which is more privacy. Actually, I am thinking of going back there again, but then since the hotel practice is 'EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY' worried that might get a room which is connecting room and definitely facing the same problem (NOISY). Hopefully, the hotel management can do something to resolve this problem. Noticed that, there are several adversed comment on this hotel pertaining to the noisy part.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CITYKL
Reviewed May 15, 2011

As a child, I have always loved the idea of traveling to new places and experiencing a variety of wonders. However, as time passed on, I find myself returning to some of my old favorites, Port Dickson being one of them.

To be honest, Thistle wasn't my first choice when coming back to Port Dickson as an adult. Boy, was I glad I changed my mind. I quickly found out that big, over-advertised brand names don't mean a thing when it comes to having a wholesome holiday experience.

All it takes is a team with heart. And when it comes to Thistle - this gem of a resort has more than plenty to offer.

Quite frankly, I was already sold on the tour around the premises. What got me even more impressed was the fact that the service teams, the front desk in particular, gave me a level of experience I've missed from my trips abroad. I found myself being greeted by name, even after hours (I'm quite the late night investigator).

Judging by the equally discerning crowd that gravitates to this place, one can tell that it didn't take too long before word got out that this recently refurbished establishment is here to stay.

While the internet connection to the room was down, I was pleasantly surprised that the staff went to near excessive lengths to ensure that my work holiday was not interrupted in any way. Imagine my surprise when the person that came by to resolve my internet issue was none other than the Assistant Front Desk Manager himself!

So either Thistle has a really tiny team, or they sure treat every individual as an important person. I'd opt for the latter.

Despite not being able to resolve the internet problem, I came away feeling very satisfied (and guilty at the same time) about the dedication to task.

The air-conditioning got a little wonky and out of control on the first night of my stay, but that was quickly rectified by what seemed like an invisible team of technicians, working behind the scenes. Interesting...

If that seemed like an exaggeration, wait till you meet Guru, one of the friendliest faces that Thistle can offer. During a surprise meet at a local 7-11 outside the resort, he casually directed me to one of the better grilled fish stalls when asked about it. All that without blinking an eye, even after hours, now that's what I'd call dedication to task!

The only two let downs which my entire stay?

1. They should hire a less professional photographer when it comes to the room service menu. The portions looked so much more impressive in the pictures!

2. The beach side scene looked somewhat underwhelming. Granted, it's not really under the control of the resort, but the wear and tear of the deck chairs and gazebo pads are showing a little by way of stains. Could do with a bit of touch-up there.

In summary, if you want a place for a work holiday, especially during the off peak season, look no further. And the review had nothing to do with the lovely cookies you get with the evening turndown service!

It is clear that the management is taking great pains to give you the best holiday experience possible. Just proves one thing though, you don't need to have an A in your name to give first-class service and brand experience to visitors.

They may not get it right ALL of the time, but they sure as heck try. If the other reviewers have mentioned that service was bad last year, then I believe they have made significant improvements this time around.

Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke visit, I'd be sure to pay our friends at Thistle again sometime in the near future - cap, sunglasses and peak season to boot.

Room Tip: Get a window facing the pool area!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends