“Avoid Voi”

Voi Wildlife Lodge
Lima, Peru
“Avoid Voi”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed there for one night last ear during Easter and we certainly regretted it. While other reviews are right about the location and the fact that you have wild life almost at your window, the service is poor. FIrst it was very expensive (we had just been in a hotel in Malindi for three nights at a better price and much better service- but we wanted to break the 9 hrs drive to Nairobi), staff were not friendly at all very rude and not helpfull. When we wanted to use the tiny pool they have it was full with a very noisy group playing voleyball. The food was terrible, I even spotted something crawling in the buffet!
The rooms are basic for rest, but early in the morning 6am you can hear staff pulling carts for cleaning and guest ready to check-out or go for safari.
We wanted to use the sauna but it was already booked so no option there. If we ever go back to Tsavo certainly will not go to Voi lodge.

Room Tip: Don't take ground floor or close to pool, but better if you select other hotel!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank OceanLook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

.We had lunch here and were impressed with the location just outside the park but with it own water holes. Good decking for viewing, we saw a swimming pool and in the heat of the day a gent using exercise machines prior to cooling off in a spa pool. The property had a well managed feel and was our lunch stop at the end of a totally awesome four day safati with JTSafaris <info@julius-safaris.com>
We arrived just before the 12.00 lunch serving time so had some time to look around and take a few photographs. Would have asked to use their pool if time had allowed to cool off.
Being outside the Park it has a busy lunch trade with a good variety of food. There were a lot of Italians eating when we were there, I suspect they might have hoped for a better tasting ,more Italian, Pasta sauce

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TwoBigOneGrowing
Ulceby North Licolnshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

The lodge is like many other in Kenya being old but full of charicture. The food was god with a good varity of dishes. The service was very friendly and the staff most helpful. Thought not actually in the park the animals were on the doorstep. Many elephants around the waterhole.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TBH73
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

My family spent two nights at the Voi Wildlife Lodge in April 2011. The reception was OK with very cheerful and helpful staff. The rooms were OK but not great. However, I give them A+ for a good shower and spacious bathrooms in the rooms. They could improve on the situation with bugs.

The balcony seemed to be monkey territory and we were afraid of using them esp because we had two little children.

The food was OK (not great). A little creativity on the menu could go along way. This being a very hot part of the country, there should have been a lot more iced water and fruit juices on offer. Juice was only served with meals whilst I think there should have been juice throughout. Tea was also served without biscuits or cake. Quite unusual for afternoon tea. I was about to forget this: this is hot African bush. Icecream would have been perfect! Please please please, find a way of serving icecream.

The bar area was OK. But considering it is the only place one could have a beer, they were very over priced. Something like £2.50 a pint in a country where a pint normally costs about £1.00. And the lighting and bugs in the bar was also a problem. They must find a way to remedy that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the waterhole
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed in new extension that was opened in Sep 2011. Rooms are good standard even electric keys didn't work as should be - there was always electricity. Even if key was removed for 4 hours...

French balcony overlooking for new water hole - not in use yet for some reason. Hotel had spa area - you can sweat in sauna and overlook the savanna same time - if you like. Nice looking pool area, bar and restaurant. We were satisfied with this but it didn't match of our other safari hotels so therefore "only" 4*.

Corner rooms in new extension *01 looked bit bigger tan others.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank delfiini
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

When we booked our safari we were expecting a sort of bare minimum from the lodges, but Voi Wildlife was the first we stayed in and the standards were very good! Nice clean and spacious rooms, viewing the watering hole, with a shower too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gemma_smallpeice
Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here on the first night of our 3 night safari whilst staying on the North Mombasa Coast in January 2012. Having read the reviews here I wasn’t expecting anything marvellous. However, it was rather better than I expected. On arrival we were given refreshing cold towels and a fruit juice. The porters took our bags to our room, which was absolutely fine with a great view over the waterhole.
Before our evening game drive we had a swim in the pool which was away from the waterhole. There is one near the waterhole too. Very refreshing! Our game drive went really well, and my daughter, who was on her first ever safari day, said that this had been one of the best days of her life! We had seen a great variety of animals and had taken some super photos.
After showering we went down for dinner. We both had some beef which was carved in front of us. Very nice, but not really enough of it. There were plenty of other choices though. The lodge was quite busy, with tourists coming from all over Europe. Quite a few Italians. There were quite a few bugs flying around the bar area after supper. I could feel something in my hair and flicked it out quickly. There was a loud cracking noise as it hit the floor. It must have flown off or escaped rather quickly because I couldn’t see it in the dimly lit bar area, but I’m sure it was some kind of beetle. The view of a herd of elephant at the floodlit waterhole was excellent!
We were pleased to have the mosquito nets around our beds for the night. In the morning we awoke to a wonderful sunrise. However, when I put my first shoe on I felt something inside it which obviously shouldn’t be there. I tipped out a rather large cockroach. Tip: Check your shoes!
I opened the double glass doors to take a photo of the sunrise. A cheeky monkey soon appeared, looking for food I imagine. I ‘shooed’ him away and he then tried to attack me. I was too quick for him though and shut the door on him. The little devil!
If I was asked would I stay here again, the answer would be no. It’s ok, but there are much nicer, smaller, more luxurious places to stay in Tsavo. I’m not a squeamish person generally, but there were too many bugs around for my liking. I know, we were in Africa, but other places where we stayed didn’t have the same amount of bugs that this place did.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family