“Good but needs to be improved.”

Thomson Falls Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Nyahururu B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The Lodge is generally lovely. However they need to improve service, interior decor and cleanliness.
The bar area and the furniture looks old. They need new ones like yesterday. Food took too long to be brought from the time we ordered.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Phillip19692014
There are newer reviews for Thomson Falls Lodge

Reviewed February 6, 2014

On February 5th, 2014, my husband & I decided to visit my family in Nyahururu. It was a moment of pride as I shared a special place where I spent most of my childhood. My husband & I were so elated as we had our 1 year old with us.

Our choice of stay was the Thomson falls lodge and for a good reason. Growing up, I always admired the lodge. My late father would take us there for picnics. The waterfalls view was breathtaking. I attended a school close by and the dorms overlooked the lodge.

Ne'er in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd one day choose to stay at the lodge. So this was such a big moment for me to share with my new family. We checked in at about 4pm. Since my brother was with us, we picked a 2 bedroom cottage.

My brother pointed out an earring of the floor. I threw it out hoping it was just an honest mistake. As I continued to look through the room, I discovered some bracelets/bangles in a drawer. The water wasn't getting hot enough and the towels were just as old as the hotel.

We were in such a rush so we only had a night to visit my family before we could return back to Nairobi to catch our flight out. We came back late at night. Tried to watch some tv. Unfortunately, the channels were unclear so we slept off.

While doing a final check in the room to ensure we didn't leave anything behind, I discovered we had slept on a bed full of blonde hair and dirt half way down the bed. As I dropped the keys, I was met by a nice front desk agent. I explained our predicament but the most he could do was apologize. I was most certain they had either sold us an out of order room or, a used room. This explained why business had gone down there.

I needed some hot water to make my son's formula milk. A kind gentleman ushered me into the food area. The waiter was ready to help but kindly asked me not to follow him as guests weren't allowed in the kitchen. He reassured me that he would not do anything to put our baby in harms way. I tipped him and the other gentleman for their show of kindness.

I still was unhappy about the room situation so I insisted on seeing the manager. A kind lady at the front desk whipped me into the managers office where I was asked to explain my plight. The manager identified herself as Agnetta. She didn't seem to concerned as she typed away on her laptop while pretending to care.

I kept my cool and finished my story. She then asked if we had paid. I told her that was ofcourse a requirement. To which she replied "awww I'm sorry, I'd have given you a discount while I looked into the matter. Next time when you return I will do something for you." I told her that was besides the point. Besides, I'd never stay there after such a bad experience when I returned. I needed to know that this was an honest mistake and that the rest of the rooms were not like that.

I mentioned that we were leaving the country. She then promised a free lunch for any family member. I just told her there was no way is trust cleanliness in the kitchen if that was how they cleaned their room. Hours on arriving Nairobi, my statement was so true. I was sick to my stomach when I saw the water the waiter had claimed to boil with care for my baby. It was brown as though it had been boiled in a used up pot.

Now my prayer is that my child will be alright. We have already had our first throw up.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They are a serious threat to our tourism and do not represent that aspect well in anyway.

• Stayed: February 2014
13  Thank Meow2012
thomsonsfallslodge, General Manager at Thomson Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2015

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thomsons falls lodge. we look forward to your next visit and your observations are highly regarded

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The location of the lodge is right in front of the beautiful Thompson's Falls but the service at the hotel is quite poor. Our tea was brought cold and the choice of food is pretty boring. Vegetarians can only hope for chips and perhaps a cheese sandwich. I would only go there for the view. If you can, take your own picnic and pay the minimum charges for using the grounds.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Neelam S
Reviewed November 6, 2013

There are two reasons for staying here - the proximity to the top of the Falls and the wood fire in the bedroom at night. We stayed for two nights and enjoyed ourselves.

The grounds are lovely to walk around and observe the flowers and bird life. We did the walk down to the bottom of the falls in the early morning to see the sun slowly lighting up the spray. It's only a bit tough because of the altitude and because I'm 66 years old and smoke too much. At that time there was no one around to tell you to take a guide [unnecessary] and the hawkers are not in position yet. They should be prevented from entering the paid area and restricted to outside the gate.

I don't think I've ever had a wood fire in my bedroom before and, like many guys, I really enjoyed gradually feeding the wood into it to keep it going through the evening.

The rooms are dated and this is reflected in the price - US$70 for two people with breakfast and dinner. The restaurant and bar are attractive too.

I will advise family and friends to visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mikecc46
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We did not stay at the Lodge but had Lunch on our way to Lake Naivasha. It has a beautiful location with an old world feel about it. The food was not good either in quality or quantity.
Can't say anything about the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I enjoyed this place and have tried to return - turned up to find it fully booked! This hotel is old and a little ram shackle...the old bars are historic and dark but we enjoyed that. The setting is really nice - we walked to the bottom of the falls and also to the hippo pool. We had a room overlooking the garden and it had a lovely fireplace which they light around 7pm. The food was slightly better than the average Kenyan buffet - we ate it all up but it wasn't delicious. There are two bars/lounges next door to each other and we were annoyed that in both there was a TV blasting out - so loud! The same show was on in both rooms ( we were the only guests in either room) so we turned off one, so we could read, only to have it turned back on and turned up - by a member of staff! I then turned it off again only for it to be switched back on again...we gave up and went to the room! So apart from the staff being a bit unobservant we enjoyed this place. It's popular with expats who like the decent price, relaxing atmosphere and beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you find yourself stranded in a thunderstorm or run out of petrol this place is fine. If you plan to stay in luxury and comfort, I wouldn't. The location of this place is it's saving grace despite the hawkers that follow you around every step of the way trying to get you into the curio shops next to the falls. Bar had a welcome fire in it and prices OK although more expensive than other hotels in the area. Food was the local staple diet of fish, chicken, rice and peas, but not bland and tasted good. Mosquito nets in the rooms. Security of rooms dire i.e. we couldn't lock ours. Bathroom dreadful - more like a wet room with the toilet by the drain, so if you had to go in the middle of the night, remember your wellies!

Room Tip: Check the showers are working and the drain is clear. Ask for seperate toilet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 19Hutz74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nyahururu
#1 of 1 in Nyahururu
Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge
Maili Saba Camp - Nakuru
Maili Saba Camp - Nakuru
#5 of 7 in Lake Nakuru National Park

Been to Thomson Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!