Flamingo Hill Tented Camp
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Abbey Resort(Nakuru)
View Hotel
Hotel Waterbuck Nakuru(Lake Nakuru National Park)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsone nightlake nakuruhot waterthatched rooffour poster bednational parklobby areamasai maraswimming poolcommunal areasfood was greatday safarigame drivesmosquito nettinglong driveblack rhinowelcome drink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our honeymoon was split into 3 areas to maximise game viewing over 5 nights. We started at treetops, and then went onto flamingo and then ashnil in the Mara. All 3 offered something totally unique in terms of viewing, design and location, but all 3 were exactly what we were hoping for.

Flamingo hill offered us the chance to stay in the lake Nakuru reserve, therefore allowing us to see the big five, including an intimate and close up chance to witness a family of rhinos, with baby in tow! The reserve itself offers stunning views of all the wildlife you'd expect, beautiful sunsets and the chance to sea lake Nakuru light up pink wit flamingoes (dependent when you go).

The camp itself was beautifully designed, tents were extremely comfortable, more like 4* star hotel rooms, and with all the facilities you would need. The restaurant offered really well prepared and tasty food, with all communal areas being that of well looked after, well run camp site.

We booked through glorioussafaris.com, with Shadrack and Shauri really making our stay in Kenya a perfect honeymoon. starting at treetops which is also a must, and then the Mara with Ashnil again overlooking a waterhole so great game viewing for animals. Amazing combination - although quite a bit of driving, but well worth it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Duncg03
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed in December with a large group from uni. Rooms were fantastic, service was great, food was amazing and the pool was the icing on the cake. Would definitely reccomend it. Only issue was hot water was a little bit temperamental but wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Flamingo Hill with my family during my Christmas holidays safari, and I can only say good things about this place.
To begin with, they really are welcoming and friendly. They do care about “customer satisfaction”: their clients’ relations officer, a young man called Bosco, could not do enough to make sure that we had a pleasant stay at the Flamingo Hill.
Secondly, their facilities are very much "top notch": what they call "tent" is in fact a quite comfortable accommodation, with a fully-fledged bathroom with running water (hot and cold) and everything else. They also have a nice open-air pool.
Food is more than reasonable, even if it must be said that their "haute cuisine" pretensions seem perhaps excessive.
We did not experience any of the “noise” problems lamented by one of our fellow reviewers. Perhaps the only problem with this place is their location within the compound of the Nakuru National Park! This may seem paradoxical, but the problem is that, on top of hotel rate (not precisely on the “cheap” side), you have to pay the hefty admission fees to the National Park (US$ 80 per person per day!). This discourages you from staying there more than a couple of days. Perhaps the hotel management shall try to reach an agreement with the Park for a preferential admission fee for their guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am not sure how these other reviewers could make the positive cases they do for the Flamingo Hill Tented Camp. I am guessing that they have not yet experienced the other wonderful lodges that my wife and I have stayed in during 8 other photo safari excursions to Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa.

It is a reasonably nice facility, but it is located right along the park border with the town of Lake Nakuru about 750 yards away. My wife and I are used to quiet nights with the sounds coming from wild game, crickets, and other common African nocturnal noises. Instead we went to sleep to the sound of revving motorcycles, music from a distant tavern and a rather large group of local dogs barking throughout the night.

I will note that the service from the staff was very efficient and caring! Can't blame them for the location.

I thought the food choices were a bit too "curry-centric" or spicy for my narrow eating habits. Likely my problem, not theirs.

With the noise, this is just not preferred safari living folks!! There are much better lodge options along the east side of the park. Look there first! We will if we return to Lake Nakuru in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank ccmarks
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Of all our safari accommodations, Flamingo Hill Tented Camp was the best.
The tents are very well appointment, with comfortable beds, and a giant bathroom with an amazing waterfall shower and really good shampoo and conditioner
pre dinner they brought us appetizers to the bar, and the manager stopped by to ask how our stay was going. The dinner service was amazing, great menu, beautiful presentation and one of the best lamb dishes I have ever had, with portion sizes that would satisfy any appetite. The breakfast buffet was also extremely ample, with lots of options to chose from, and extremely polite and well trained staff. All in all we were very impressed with the quality of the service, food, ambiance and comfort of the room, wish we could go back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends