“Honeymoon safari”

Flamingo Hill Tented Camp
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our honeymoon was split into 3 areas to maximise game viewing over 5 nights. We started at treetops, and then went onto flamingo and then ashnil in the Mara. All 3 offered something totally unique in terms of viewing, design and location, but all 3 were exactly what we were hoping for.

Flamingo hill offered us the chance to stay in the lake Nakuru reserve, therefore allowing us to see the big five, including an intimate and close up chance to witness a family of rhinos, with baby in tow! The reserve itself offers stunning views of all the wildlife you'd expect, beautiful sunsets and the chance to sea lake Nakuru light up pink wit flamingoes (dependent when you go).

The camp itself was beautifully designed, tents were extremely comfortable, more like 4* star hotel rooms, and with all the facilities you would need. The restaurant offered really well prepared and tasty food, with all communal areas being that of well looked after, well run camp site.

We booked through glorioussafaris.com, with Shadrack and Shauri really making our stay in Kenya a perfect honeymoon. starting at treetops which is also a must, and then the Mara with Ashnil again overlooking a waterhole so great game viewing for animals. Amazing combination - although quite a bit of driving, but well worth it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Duncg03

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed in December with a large group from uni. Rooms were fantastic, service was great, food was amazing and the pool was the icing on the cake. Would definitely reccomend it. Only issue was hot water was a little bit temperamental but wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Flamingo Hill with my family during my Christmas holidays safari, and I can only say good things about this place.
To begin with, they really are welcoming and friendly. They do care about “customer satisfaction”: their clients’ relations officer, a young man called Bosco, could not do enough to make sure that we had a pleasant stay at the Flamingo Hill.
Secondly, their facilities are very much "top notch": what they call "tent" is in fact a quite comfortable accommodation, with a fully-fledged bathroom with running water (hot and cold) and everything else. They also have a nice open-air pool.
Food is more than reasonable, even if it must be said that their "haute cuisine" pretensions seem perhaps excessive.
We did not experience any of the “noise” problems lamented by one of our fellow reviewers. Perhaps the only problem with this place is their location within the compound of the Nakuru National Park! This may seem paradoxical, but the problem is that, on top of hotel rate (not precisely on the “cheap” side), you have to pay the hefty admission fees to the National Park (US$ 80 per person per day!). This discourages you from staying there more than a couple of days. Perhaps the hotel management shall try to reach an agreement with the Park for a preferential admission fee for their guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am not sure how these other reviewers could make the positive cases they do for the Flamingo Hill Tented Camp. I am guessing that they have not yet experienced the other wonderful lodges that my wife and I have stayed in during 8 other photo safari excursions to Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa.

It is a reasonably nice facility, but it is located right along the park border with the town of Lake Nakuru about 750 yards away. My wife and I are used to quiet nights with the sounds coming from wild game, crickets, and other common African nocturnal noises. Instead we went to sleep to the sound of revving motorcycles, music from a distant tavern and a rather large group of local dogs barking throughout the night.

I will note that the service from the staff was very efficient and caring! Can't blame them for the location.

I thought the food choices were a bit too "curry-centric" or spicy for my narrow eating habits. Likely my problem, not theirs.

With the noise, this is just not preferred safari living folks!! There are much better lodge options along the east side of the park. Look there first! We will if we return to Lake Nakuru in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ccmarks
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Of all our safari accommodations, Flamingo Hill Tented Camp was the best.
The tents are very well appointment, with comfortable beds, and a giant bathroom with an amazing waterfall shower and really good shampoo and conditioner
pre dinner they brought us appetizers to the bar, and the manager stopped by to ask how our stay was going. The dinner service was amazing, great menu, beautiful presentation and one of the best lamb dishes I have ever had, with portion sizes that would satisfy any appetite. The breakfast buffet was also extremely ample, with lots of options to chose from, and extremely polite and well trained staff. All in all we were very impressed with the quality of the service, food, ambiance and comfort of the room, wish we could go back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Was not expecting much for our last night in Kenya en route to Nairobi and knew nothing about this camp. Wow were we pleasantly surprised when we got there. Stunning tented camp and accommodation was of a very high standard for a tent. The buffet was the best we experienced and that includes all the various Serena lodge buffets we experienced. Staff were excellent and lake Nakuru was a great place to spend our last day. With hindsight I wish we had stayed here a couple of days at least. I can not fault this'd camp in any way.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Heccy
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We just returned from our trip to Kenya, where we also spent some time in Nakuru NP. I was researching several options online and decided to go with FHC, based on the reviews here. Originally we booked 1 night at the Flamingo Hill camp (not to be confused with the Flamingo Camp at Lake Elementaita!!!) but we were so blown away by the location & service, we had to stay another night.
We arrived late (just before the NP closed) but still received a friendly and welcoming reception. Frida at the Front Desk was just wonderful, she was very friendly, smiled at all times and was very discreet & respectful. She made sure we were well taken care off. Frank the Assistant Manager was always there when we needed something (he was there, even if we didn't need anything), he even helped us getting our phones charged when we needed it. Nothing was too much trouble, no matter what time of the day & night.

The tent we had was fantastic (#23), clean, well maintained and soooo quiet. I had the best sleep in a long time. The bed was very comfortable and at night (it gets cold), they put a warm water bottle between the sheets. The bathroom is great and we looooved the shower, like you are standing in the pouring rain. You don't want to stop (the only thing that made me stop was when we ran out of hot water).
The food was outstanding. Yes, the breakfast is very basic but delicious (try the Kenyan sausages & potatoes... so yummy), but the dinner was superb. I had the best Talapia ever, I even ate two servings.
The staff througout the resort was fantastic, from the security officers who patrol the entire resort 24hrs a day to the wait staff and the room attendant. We received fantastic, friendly & efficient service from everyone. One security officer even took it upon himself to change bed sheets for another guest at 10pm one night when nobody else was around.
When we needed to get back to our tent at night, we received an escort to ensure we reach there safely. One night, when we came back, we had a Safari-Ant invasion in front of our tent. The security officer returned within 3 minutes to get rid of all the ants - no problem at all.

The location is great, the camp is right inside the park. The only problem with this is, you have to pay the entry fee for the National Park, even if you don't do a game drive. We paid US$80 for me, a tourist, just to be able to leave in the morning (because it was over the 24hrs of our first payment). But this should not take away from the great experience we had at the camp.

Again, this is a fantastic experience, nobody should ever miss. I loved every minute of our stay at the camp and I would recommend it to anyone else. You want an african experience, Flamingo Hill Camp should be part of it!!!

PS: One advise though: Leave your laptop & smart phone at home, enjoy the tranquility and serenity of the resort, don't spoil it with your high-tech gadgets!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Lake Nakuru National Park
Kivu Resort
Kivu Resort
#24 of 57 in Nakuru

Been to Flamingo Hill Tented Camp? Share your experiences!