All reviews one night lake nakuru hot water four poster bed tip box thatched roof national park lobby area nice stay day safari naan bread masai mara communal areas swimming pool stayed longer food was great kenya trip
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Flamingo hill camp is one of the best tented camps in kenya, the food, service, accomodation is superb! I will rebook a holiday and stay there for much longer! So impressed!!
The pool and jacuzzi what a treat and having a massage after a long day in the car amazing!! Words cannot describe this absolutely fantastic camp!!

Date of stay: July 2011
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I've been to Flamingo Hill before, around 4 years ago. I was surprised and delighted to see the new pool area! I don't usually write reviews on websites, which goes to show how impressed I am with this Lodge and the people who run it and work there.

We stayed there for two nights this time, but previously I had stayed for three. As before we were greeted with big smiles after our long drive. We were also given drinks and cold towel presses that must have been infused with eucalyptus- so refreshing! I really appreciate attention to detail and from the moment we arrived we were surrounded by personal touches and staff that went that extra mile to make sure we were comfortable. Any time we asked for something we didn't have to wait long before it was brought to us.

The food was excellent- I remember thinking that the first time. My expectation was for it to be good but it completely surpassed that both times. The last time we went they had set up a bonfire and there was dancing and a BBQ which made us all feel like we were really celebrating being in Kenya.

We also had the great fortune of meeting the owner of the camp, a really interesting man who has so many amazing stories, he's someone who truly knows Kenya and has experienced all of it! He bought us drinks and made us feel like old friends. One of the staff members even recognised me which also made me feel like I was a person and not just another 'client'.

The rooms are very spacious and well decorated, they are made to look like tents but they feel like being in a proper room. I love the bathrooms, which have proper stone walls and huge shower! I also absolutely loved the hot water bottles in our beds at night because I get really cold (even though it was only a vague chill compared to England!).

In terms of actually going on safari, Lake Nakuru National park is one that you must visit! We went on two game drives, within the first five minutes of entering the park we saw a lioness in one of the low lying trees with her cubs in the bushes below. It was amazing! We also saw all the animals we wanted to see including white and black Rhinos! Not to mention the scenery and beautiful sun rises & sun-sets! On the second game drive a large male lion walked right past the car! Such a thrilling experience!

I really do recommend Flamingo Hill Lodge. The owner said his daughter has a 'fly camp' that is set up for a few months of the year inside the actual park right on the banks of the lake called 'Camp Lakira', the pictures of it I've seen online look just like he described it- luxurious colonial theme with antiques and big sofas and chandeliers. On the strength of how impressed we were with Flamingo Hill, we are going to stay at Camp Lakira next time we come to Kenya.

Room tip: I stayed in two different rooms on my two trips there, the first one was around number 20.. and the second time was number 2, but I dont think it makes a difference, they were both perfect.
Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank SC184
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We recently stayed at Flamingo Hill Tented Camp for one night whilst visiting Lake Nakuru. Upon arrival we were greeted by a waiter with a tray of face cloths and a delicious tropical juice drink with the glass edged in pale pink sugar. We were given a welcome briefing by a member of staff as we sat in the comfortable surroundings of the lounge. We were shown to our tent which was spacious and clean even if a little dark. The bed was beautifully presented although the mattress was slightly uncomfortable. The staff were all very friendly and genuine. The food was delicious ... the lunch time buffet offered a good choice of food including nan breads which you could order. In the evening we were invited to choose from a menu and again, the food was superb as was breakfast! I was really impressed that security guards walked you to and from the dining hall with torches in the evening. There were also staff waiting with umbrellas when it rained. The staff put down the window blinds and mosquito nets for you in the evening as well as placing hot water bottles in the beds to ease the late October chill. We thought this was a lovely touch and much appreciated it. Outside the tent was a small water fountain which I found noisy and thankfully it was switched off at bedtime. I went in the swimming pool and was keen to try the jacuzzi but unfortunately it was closed due to them laying the concrete floor for the massage parlour above. It is very near Lake Nakuru so in a handy position for game viewing. One thing to note it that although the camp is situated at the foot of a secluded hill, the noise from the town of Nakuru drifts over and breaks the peace slightly. We would definately stay here again! x

Date of stay: October 2011
4  Thank Char029
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The ultimate in luxury comforts were offered to us from the time we were greeted with an ice cold glass of passionfruit to quench our thirst and a warm scented cloth to wash the wilds of Africa off our hands and faces, to the fragrant vials of deluxe shampoo and cream rinse available in the simply divine bathroom at the back of the tent. The fourposter queen size bed, surrounded by miles of softly draped mosquito netting, was snuggled comfortably in the middle of the enormous main tent area, and warmed by several sleep-inducing hot water bottles. Two 'sink-to-your-chin' chairs, with a fluffy knee covering blanket to protect from the cooling night air, nestled on the spacious front deck, enticing us to laze for several hours each evening, while the level on the bottle of delicious fruity with vanilla undertones South African wine dwindled.....Sorry...got lost reliving the experience... This is NOT camping like we know it in Canada!!! If you want the ultimate luxury 'camping experience', and are willing to splurge for it, then this is the place for you!

Room tip: I fail to see how there could be a 'bad' room in this Camp!!
Date of stay: October 2011
3  Thank fran4kenya
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed at Flamingo Hill Camp at the beginning of our Kenya trip. The camp is close to the gates of the Lake Nakuru National Park. The tents are spacious, very clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and in our case very helpful. Swiss Air forgot one of our bags in Zurich, of course the one with the mosquito repellent and sunscreen in it. As there was no little shop at the camp, the receptionist organised someone to buy some mosquito repellent in the village for us, which was very kind. The food is served buffet style for lunch, for dinner you can choose from a menu. The buffet has variety so you can easily find food that suits your taste.

We would have given 5 stars, but there was one downside: There is a tip box and it is said in the brochures which you find in the tents, that the tip goes to the whole staff. So we actually wanted to put our tip in there. However, we were approached by a waiter who told us we would need to tip waiters and rooms stewards seperately as they don't get any tip from that box. No idea if this was true or not, but it made tipping unnecessarily complicated. However, if you plan to go to Lake Nakuru, Flamingo Hill Camp is a nice camp which we would recommend.

Date of stay: September 2011