“If you go to one place on earth, make it Wadi Rum Green Desert”

Wadi Rum Green Desert
Ranked #22 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Wadi Rum
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We contacted Nadjar a day before we wanted to be in Wadi Rum and his hospitality began then and continued to the last moment of our time together. It is a pleasure and a privilege to spend time with someone so knowledgable about his landscape and so willing to share it. Nadjar is a generous and considerate guide and host. Nothing was too much trouble and we had the best time exploring the desert with him. After a stunning sunset on top of a rock we came back to the camp which has been created with subtle attention to detail. Each tent is individually decorated with accommodation to suit various groups. I loved our beautiful tent but in the end we slept out under the stars which was magical. Before that though we had the most delicious meal and Arabic calligraphy lessons in the sand by the fire.

Put Wadi Rum Green Desert Project and a tour of the desert with Nadjar on your bucket list. You won't regret it.

شكرا لك.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying one day and a half with Nadjah and his nephew, Mamouhd, in the desert. It was a wonderful experience, not only the landscape and sites we have seen were blow-minded but Nadjah was also an excellent guide. He took a great care of us and really tried to share his lifestyle with us. From the beginning till the end, Nadjah has been very accommodating and welcoming, always trying to help and to provide us with the informations we needed. It was refreshing to meet someone who seemed to care more about the quality of our time there than the money we were going to spend with him. In the end, thanks to Nadjah and Mamouhd, we feel like we have been part of an unforgettable experience. As a result, our time in the desert has definitely been the highlight of our trip to Jordan. We strongly recommend him if you are looking for a true experience in the desert with a warm-hearted guide.

Room Tip: Sleeping outside on a mattress was one of the many highlights of our stay. We shared an authentic fe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A very big thank you to Nadjah and his team for making Wadi Rum an unforgettable experience. Him and his team were very welcoming and ensured everything was organised and went smoothly even helping me organise transport from Petra to Wadi Rum then down to Aqaba and back to Amman. On the last day i forgot my phone and Nadjah even made sure it was put in a taxi and was returned to me at the bus station in Aqaba (1 hr drive away!!).
The whole experience was so good I decided to stay a second night. The landscape is nothing like anywhere else with rock formations jutting from the desert floor. The tour gives you plenty of time to explore and sit around in a serene environment, the perfect retreat from a busy lifestyle. The sunsets are amazing and as is the night sky. Sleeping outside you could see the milky way from horizon to horizon and also see multiple shooting stars. It is very hard to get to sleep but only because you don't want to stop looking at the stars and close your eyes.
Again I want to thank Nadjah and his team.

Room Tip: Bring your mattress outside and sleep on the desert floor!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is not something to miss. Wadi Rum is already mind blowing, but the incredibly friendly and efficient staff at the Green Desert just make it unforgettable. I stayed for two nights - incredible jeep tours, an amazingly authentic feel, delicious food. I slept outside on a mattress on both nights - something you can do or stay in the actual tent - and saw a zillion shooting stars and the milky way stretching across the horizon. The camp has minimal lights to make the most of the stars and Nadjah and his team are very accommodating with fitting around my plans (which changed regularly!) It's at the top of my list to go again in 2014. I strongly recommend Green Desert.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Before my trip to the Middle East, I reached out to a trusted traveler. A guy who had been everywhere. Tried everything. He told me very plainly, without a hint of hyperbole, that Wadi Rum was remarkable beyond words. Not to be missed. A painted desert wilderness -- with sand dunes as big as mountains and cliffs reaching high into the deep blue sky. Petroglyphs of ancient peoples and iconic sites made famous, for good reason, by Lawrence of Arabia. But above all that, he recalled the Bedouin. Their jeeps and hospitality. Idyllic camps pitched amidst an endless desert and an unparalleled knowledge of the harsh, wondrous environment that is Wadi Rum.

When I arrived following a delightful two-day visit to Petra, I hadn't prepared much. I was told to try my luck at the park entrance and see if I encountered someone who made put me at ease and inspired the feeling of adventure. I did just that. Arriving by car, alone, I happened upon Mr. Nadjah. We struck up a conversation, and almost immediately I found myself trusting his warm demeanor and eagerness to show me around his land.

We discussed logistics. Laid out some highlights, boarded one of his Jeeps and made our way into the interior. While the visits to the famed natural bridges, 200m sand dunes, mushroom rocks, petroglyphs were memorable and enjoyable -- what I cherished most was his company and conversation. I recall our mutual curiosity for one another's experiences sprinkled between in-depth explanations about the sites and landscapes we were exploring and the cultural history of his people.

At his camp, I found a perch atop a large rock where I watched the setting sun color the sky bright reds, yellows, oranges that eventually faded into a deep purple that went on forever. After calming myself in the new night sky, I ate a delicious meal alongside other travelers before I dozed off on a mattress I setup beneath the clearest, starlit night you can imagine.

I'll always be grateful for Nadjah's kindness and willingness to show me his home. My trip lasted only one night, but Wadi Rum stands strong in my memory. It lives on in my minds eye and I'm confident I'll return -- this time for a trek with Nadjah undoubtedly! I couldn't recommend Wadi Rum Green Desert any higher.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My friend and I embarked on a 5 day trek with Nadjah less than 2 weeks ago. I admittedly didn't quite know what to expect going into it (it was my friend who had recommended it having done the same thing the year before) as I had never really done anything like this before. However, having completed it, I can wholeheartedly recommend the experience. The routes we walked were varied (mountain climbing, normalwalking etc.) and the scenery was stunning throughout. The highlights were enjoying the sunset by the Burdah arch (the arch in itself is amazing with great views, although perhaps not for those who have a fear of heights - as my friend can attest) and also the sunrise on top of the Um Ad Dami mountain (we had to get up at 4.30am for this - absolutely worth it), which we saw on the last day.

The balance between mountain climbing and walking was struck perfectly and none of our trekking 'sessions' were overly long or exhausting, demonstrating Nadjah's fantastic knowledge of the desert and his feel for striking the right balance for each of his guests.

When not 'on the go', we were treated to some excellent food, courtesy of the chef Ibrahim. The highlight was having Mansaf for the first time, enjoying it 'Bedouin style' (with your hands...). There was always more than enough food, even for two young men famished after a good day's walk! The sleeping arrangements were also first rate. Sleeping under the stars was a great experience, and waking up to the sunrise wasn't too bad either. If you don't like sleeping outside, they do offer a tent as well.

Both Nadjah and Ibrahim were excellent company as we sat by the fire after dinner, telling us all about the desert and the bedouin lifestyle, as well as throwing some classic Bedouin jokes into the mix. We managed to teach Nadjah a couple of card tricks so hopefully he may well add that to his repertoire going forward!

All in all, it was a truly memorable experience and the feeling of isolation was a great change from the usual hustle and bustle of city life. Wadi Rum is an absolutely stunning place and you would be hard placed to find someone more suitable than Nadjah to help you make the most of all it has to offer.

(As an aside, I've accidentally rated the swimming pool and fitness centre facilities... to avoid confusion, these are not on offer during the tour...!)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed in Wadi Rum for 2 nights and did hiking, camel riding, & jeep touring for 2 days. I carefully checked on Tripadvisor before leaving and I can report that everything posted here about Green Desert Project is true. The camp that Nadjah and his partner have created is just amazing. It is clean, quiet, accomodating (with modern shower & toilet, & solar-powered lights), and welcoming. Nadjah took great care of us, as did his cousin Tasir, who was our guide for most of the time. We did not visit the other camps but just from driving by them and reading about them I think I can say with confidence that this camp is far superior. The smaller size makes the experience much more personal and quiet.

I also loved that the individual tents had raised floors as well as raised beds. Before we left I was terrified at the thought of snakes or scorpions appearing but once there I did really even worry (although of course I was cautious). The food was excellent and we were always supplied with water. All of the activities were great so you cannot go wrong with whatever you choose to do. For me, one of the most important criteria for giving a good review is the ability of the provider to follow through on their word, and out of all the people we met in Jordan, Nadjah was one of the most reliable. Everything happened just the way he promised and the prices he quoted did not change once we got there (that happened many times on our trip).

Thank you Nadjah & Tasir for one of the most amazing experiences we have ever had.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple