“BEDOUIN DIRECTIONS... in the heart of a desert paradise”
Review of Bedouin Directions

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wadi Rum
Bedouin Directions
London, United Kingdom
“BEDOUIN DIRECTIONS... in the heart of a desert paradise”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited Bedouin Directions in November 2013 and stayed 3 nights at the camp with my best pal, both of us seeking a quiet beautiful place, in undeveloped pristine desert for us to explore and enjoy while catching up with eachother. We couldn't have been more thrilled with this place. The Bedouin guys at the camp clearly cherished, loved and knew their beautiful desert like the back of their hands. We walked out of the camp each day for an un-guided walk about and saw some of the most incredible desert-scapes we've ever seen. By night we enjoyed the provided cooked meal as well as a communal experience with the guys playing music (singing, clapping & oud) as well as fun Bedouin games with them and the other guests. Then we crashed out beyond the camp, under the stars for an amazing sleeping experience. The whole experience is one i will remember dearly forever. I highly recommend Bedouin Directions for those interested in having a unique cultural experience while making it easy to explore incredible desert wilderness. Thanks to Mehedi and to the guys at the camp for a wonderful time at Bedouin Directions.

Room Tip: Grab your mattress, your sleeping bag and head out to the sand to sleep under the stars for the best...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Wadi Rum will be the highlight of your trip to Jordan. If Petra moves you, Wadi Rum will silence all of your thoughts and leave you with a sense of belonging to Earth, its soil and its natural landscapes. The magic of Wadi Rum is in the way in which it exemplifies our path in life: through the meanders of rock canyons with vertical walls and gorges that become dizzyingly narrow as we walk on, to the openings of the infinite desert valleys, which despite their incomprehensible emptiness are a source of quiet fulfilment, acceptance of our limits and gratitude of existence. The colours of the mountains are crisp and alive: finally we know what crimson and ochre look like. The rock is a canvas of swirls and ribbons of such colours: here everything has been free handed by God, or someone close to him. Light pours down softly through the clouds and the chiaroscuro dresses the sides of the mountains. Wadi Rum is not a place to leave.

Staying for a few nights created a connection between us an the desert, us and the desert people. The bedouins hospitality is renown: their guests are to be honoured, they must be looked after throughout their stay. We were lucky to stay with Mehedi and all his family and friends. They were wonderful to us from when we first stepped down the bus to when we departed at the end. Mehedi had read our email carefully and understood what we wanted to do and how we wanted to see Wadi Rum: in his reply he was honest with recommendations and proposed a plan which was completely tailored to our desires. Even when we asked about climbing Rum he wasn't dismissive but pointed out that December offers too few hours of light for one to enjoy the hike at a comfortable pace. We wanted to enjoy the desert by ourselves, but needed some jeep transport and overnight stay. Mehedi understood this perfectly well and we were delighted when he replied to us with a wonderful plan and a price which was more than fair. Little did we know that they would offer us more than we had agreed.

Mehedi's camp is tucked away from the main areas of Wadi Rum and it will feel like a true bedouin shelter. It's protected by an enclave of white rocks, which somewhat preserves it from the inclemency of winter weather or summer heat. The meals, the meat cooked under the sand and the nearly infinite supply of tea will make you feel truly satisfied. There you will talk to the bedouins, listen to their enchanting songs at the rhythm of the Oud, dance with them: bedouins love life and enjoy fun. They will always tell you stories to amaze you. Believe half of it, or maybe it all, who cares if they are myths and you are being naive. We had the pleasure of spending time with some of them: 'Ayd and his contagious smile, handsome Audi, Muhammad and his oud, the wonderful Salah to whom we have grown very attached, and all the others, whose Arab names we are terrible at remembering.

I have a chronic illness which forced me on more than one day in our stay to remain at the camp in the morning. The bedouins were very worried about me but they let us stay in the tent and changed all of our plan to accommodate us.
The trip we did to the mountain Umm Ad-Ami was wonderful. Salah is a very experienced young guide and a very kind man. He will sing with you and tell you of bedouins stories and customs, like tracking the traces of the shy ibex. We made bets and joked and laughed and made fire and ate together and watched the sunset in the desert. The bedouins will become your friends and they will not forget about you.

'Ayd took us to Burda arch on the last of our five days stay. We enjoyed the climb with him and felt safe at all times, even when he decided, after asking us of course, that our route down was going to be through a nearly vertical crag rather than the path we took on our way up. It was a lot of fun and we were glad to do it with him.

I don't know of how it works at other bedouins camps through direct experience. I know for sure though that at Mehedi's your expectations will not be disappointed, prices will be fair and you will have the most wonderful time of your trip to Jordan, perhaps of the whole year and who knows, if you let the desert conquer you, of a big chunk of your life.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Giulia F
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I spend three wonderful days in early Februrary 2014, sunny but cool and therefore very pleasant, walking in Wadi Rum with a our guide Ra'ed and two of his camels. Sleeping under the stars, cooking lunch and dinner on open fires, walking in the peace and quiet, playing music with and for the Bedouins in the evening at a time of year when the desert was beginning to bloom and young camels were being born was simply magical. Ra'ed was not only very good at guiding us and judging what was doable (we are both in our late fifities) he was excellent at teaching us how to handle and ride camels, at cooking and at baking bread first thing in the morning, but he was also a genuine pleasure to be with, gentle, generous and open. Thanks to him we not only had a great trek, but also got a brief introduction to what life in a Bedouin family in the desert must be like.
We must also thank Mehedi Saleh Al-Hewaitaat, whose operation, an incredibly efficient yet very friendly one, made this trip possible. He is a very fair tour operator, who offers a service that can only be described as exceptional. Three days were so full of experiences, it seemed much more than the brief period we spent there, but it has also left us with a profound wish to come back! Thank you, Mehedi, thank you Ra'ed, thank you the crew at Bedouin Directions!

Room Tip: Sleep under the stars! Walk, if you have time; you see so much more than from a jeep.
Saratoga, California
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Our trip to Wadi Rum consisted in a 1 day desert tour, 1 night and a camel ride after breakfast for our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children). We are not campers and don't usually enjoy 'roughing it'….but we had a wonderful time! Our guide, Eid, was nice, fun, helpful and knowledgeable. The food was great, and my kids couldn't stop drinking the bottomless tea. At night, the music and company of fellow travelers was fun.

We were worried about being cold at night, but Mehedi reassured us that we would be ok and he was right. The camp is in a secluded area surrounded by rocks, so it's protected from the wind. It is a small, cozy camp with bathrooms (REALLY, REALLY clean!) and shower (too cold to use when we were there).

I had requested a private stand alone tent with mattresses on the floor and Mehedi confirmed it. However, when we arrived a different tent (actually part of a larger tent, separated by blanket/curtain dividers) had been assigned to us and mattresses were on metal beds.. So that was a bit disappointing…Mehedi offered to set up a different one, but never really said why it wasn't done in the first place. By then, we didn't feel like waiting and we were already getting set up, so we let it go...The beds were quite uncomfortable for me as the mattresses are pretty thin and I could feel the metal bars on my back. Lots of thick blankets were provided, so we were just fine at night. We brought our own sheets though…my suggestion to Mehedi would be to provide sheets for those who require them, maybe even charge them a fee for them. I know similar camps do provide sheets.

Another flaw was cigarette butts under the bed, at least 4. I know it's not a 5 star resort, but I think cleaning that up would be an easy fix (and the bathrooms were spotless, so I know it can be done). Lastly, there was too much smoking by the guys inside the dining tent, I know it's the bedouin life but…cough, cough….

Overall, a great experience, highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mehedi Saleh A, Owner at Bedouin Directions, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear IlariaK,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We were happy to meet you and your family when you visited Wadi Rum recently. I am happy to hear that overall you were happy with the experience and enjoyed your stay here.

I wanted to respond to some of the points you made about things that you felt could be improved on.

The first thing which you mention was the mix up with the tent. We did agree via the e-mail to give you a standalone tent with mattresses on the floor. I can only apologise that this was not organised in advance of your arrival at the Camp. We cater to lots of guests with whom we have made special agreements, and arrangements (programs, diets, tents etc) and normally (99.9% of the time) we deliver exactly as agreed. However, in this case we made a mistake and the arrangements were missed. We would have been happy to put things right once you raised it, but I understand by then you felt it was too late.

We would like to provide sheets but the water we have access to in Wadi Rum is limited, and washing large numbers of sheets on a daily basis would not be possible for us to deliver. I would not want to offer a service that I could not deliver reliably and consistently so I don't offer sheets. This is normal for Camps inside the protected area.

We do regularly clean the tents, and bathrooms (as you noticed) and I can only say that the cigarettes under your bed must have been missed when your tent was cleaned. We have taken note of this and will take extra care in future.

We do all smoke a lot here, and this is not exclusive to Bedouin Directions, this is a universal fact in Wadi Rum. We sometimes don't realise our smoking is bothering you, so please do say if it is. We have noted your comments on this and will try to improve things in future!

Again thank you for your feedback, and we are happy that you enjoyed your visit.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the highlights of Jordan for me and my friends. From the first moment we drove into the magical village of Rum we were looked after by Mehedi. The dinner the night we arrived was very tasty and it was lovely to see the method they used to cook the food under the sand. That night we were entertained by Audi. He shared some stories about the Bedouin lifestyle and how they have changed over the years. The following day, after a good nights sleep, we set off on our full day tour with Audi! The area was beautiful. From the different colour sands to the amazing shadows on the mountains. It certainly is a place we would like to visit again. This experience was great value for money and the people in the area were very welcoming.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Jordan and I had the task of booking something spectacular in the desert (as this was the only reason my husband was going to Jordan!). After much research, I selected Bedouin Directions and this was because of all the positive reviews that Mehedi had got on TripAdvisor and I have to say that our expectations were surpassed at every stage. Great initial communication from Mehedi, very reasonably priced for what we got, Saleh, our guide, was fantastic and because of the time of the year, we had the desert to ourselves. The Zarb (chicken and vegetables cooked under the sand) was finger-lickingly delicious. We agree with all the other reviews on hospitality, location, etc but would also like to mention that the entire camp is very clean as well. Saleh entertained us with his poetry and surprised us with another talent – after dinner, he serenaded us with his lute playing whilst sitting around a fire.
We enjoyed Mehedi’s special jeep tour and stayed the night in the camp. We will definitely return for a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We (my wife and I) chose Bedouin Directions after reading all great reviews on TripAdvisor and we are grateful we did it! We only had 1 day and 1 night to spend and from the 1st contact, Mehedi made things very easy and flexible. We had unnecessary worries about the possible cold weather on February 1st - Mehedi had it all figured out for us. The camp is in a secluded area, inside a ring of rocks and therefore protected form the wind, and the tents, beds, and blankets were clean, comfortable and warm enough for a full night of great sleep. Our guide, Eid, was great, professional, polite, friendly and helpful. He drove us around allowing us to take our time to see what we wanted to. The cook was also very helpful and his food, great. Our only regret was not having our kids with us - then it would have been perfect! We intend to return to Jordan with the whole family when possible - and naturally a night at the Bedouin Directions camp is assured! After I posted some photos on Facebook, several people commented good things about their experiences - not a single "if". Anyone having doubts about Mehedi and his camp can easy the mind - there are no hidden tricks, you will be safe and fun is certain!

Room Tip: All tents are alike and more than adequate for the experience!