“So much fun ”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bedouin Directions

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wadi Rum
Bedouin Directions
“So much fun ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

This was way better than I thought. The camp was so comfortable and plenty of blankets to keep us warm. Food was very tasty.
We did the 7hour tour and it was brilliant because we had such an amazing guide (name of guide: audi) who made the whole day so much more interesting.
Very reasonably priced for what we got.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We did a three day walking trip, staying in the main tent camp the first night and in the desert the following two. We love walking and camping and this proved to be the highlight of our trip to Jordan. Booking via e-mail was very professional, the scenery is amazing and more special by staying in the desert away from the day trippers. We really enjoyed our Bedouin guides who introduced us to some of their relatives and made a special trip to buy a goat to barbecue (it was still alive when it arrived at the camp so this authentic cultural experience is not for the squeamish...) even though there were only 5 of us.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 11) just left Wadi Rum after spending two incredible days and nights in the desert. Mehedi, Sala, Aet (sorry for misspellings) and the rest of the wonderful folks at Bedouin Directions made it the most magical experience imaginable. Thoughtfulness and professionalism was evident in every step of the trip -- from email communications to our camel trek to our cozy, comfy tents to the beautiful hikes. The camp is in a small secluded clearing surrounded by a ring of rocky hills. There was no Jeep traffic nearby, like we saw with many other camps. There were flush toilets and cold water showers (which we didn't try) and enough thick blankets on our beds that we didn't feel cold at all at night.

The Bedouin meals were all delicious. Our son who is normally a picky eater announced that the chicken grilled in a traditional sand BBQ was the best chicken he'd ever had. Mehedi also offered to supply other food to accommodate our son's limited palette. It was a delight to sit around the fire in the common tent drinking sweet tea and listen to Sala playing the lute and our cook drumming. We shared games from our respective countries and with it many laughs.

While all the camps go to many of the same highlights in the desert, Sala made the trip extra special by letting our kids ride on top of his jeep and letting them help him steer the truck through sections of the open desert. He was extra careful with our daughter when she got scared going up a steep section of a hike. Also he and the other staff were genuinely nice and friendly.

Some tips for future Wadi Rum visitors:
- Read up a bit on Bedouin, Arab and Islamic culture before you go. You might start your trip in Mehedi's home in Wadi Rum village, and it's good to know a bit about Bedouin customs. Even our kids were a bit aghast when they saw another traveler stick her bare feet up to the fire with her soles showing outward.
- The tents are well, tents, so remember that everyone can hear you when you're inside.
- The desert tour is best enjoyed when you hike and/or scramble up the rocky hills or sandy dunes. If you can't do that physically, you can still enjoy the incredible scenery from the desert floor. The guides are really accommodating. Just let them know.

Add Wadi Rum and Jordan to the top of your "must go" list! Thank you Sala, Mehedi, Aet and all at Bedouin Directions for making our visit to Wadi Rum among the best days of our year-long journey around the world!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Squacklips
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Bedouin Directions has it all.... Location, great food, clean, good value and above all great hospitality. We (my husband and I and our 10 yr old son) stayed for 5 nights at the camp and it was the highlight of our holiday in Jordan! so much so that my son wanted to be left behind for a while longer.

Location - we passed many other camps on our way to and from our camp and on our jeep safari tour -- not our camp! We were cocooned in the middle of a ring of rocks and it felt very cosy and sheltered. Above all, I did not feel that I was sleeping on the side of a 4x4 highway.

My son and I scrambled the rocks every morning and enjoyed a stunning sunrise each day & watching the stars in the desert is an experience beyond words!

I booked online without much knowledge of the area and what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised. I received a response within one day with clear and detailed information. Mehdi was very accommodating and answered all questions I had regarding our visit to Jordan, even those not related to his camp and Wadi Rum at all.
Upon arrival, he received us in his home with the customary bedouin tea and he was very courteous and provided us with information on the area and our stay. We had a rental car and planned to drive to Petra and Aquaba from the village. Mehdi was very accommodating with times we arranged to get back and arrangements to take us back to camp. He was very helpful did not even bat an eyelid when we got back late one evening, missed a turning and got stuck in the sand (we were not trying to drive through the desert, honestly!) and he had to come pull us out with rope.

Although it gets cold in the desert at night, we were given clean blankets and a goat skin duvet each and slept like babies.
The camp was very clean throughout, including shared bathrooms and toilets
The food was fantastic and the cook provided a variety of dishes as we were staying several nights.

Mehdi and his guides' welcome and hospitality made this trip uniquely special. There was a very heartwarming atmosphere at camp every night. The guides were always happy (offering to top us the ever-present tea every few minutes of course) and made us feel at home at all times. There was always a good story to share, plus much singing and dancing around the open fire every night. They were very open about their life in the desert and offered us an insight into everyday life. And that is true of everyone we met. Bedouin people and very honest, generous and warmhearted folks.

Leaving them was very sad indeed........ we will definitely go back with family and friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bibi-Bilaal2013
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Do not miss Wadi Rum! We're just back from a backpacking trip through Jordan with our 20-something kids. Bedouin Directions made Wadi Rum the highlight of our trip. Mehedi tailored our two days in the desert to match our interests and fitness level. It was full of fun and beauty, exercise and serenity. The perfect combination for us! The Bedouin Directions camp is smaller than some and out in the desert, away from the bulk of the tour operators, so you really feel the desert around you. Mehedi's attention to detail and his staff's enthusiasm for sharing their desert, and traditional Bedouin way of life, made for a wonderful experience. I can't say enough good things about his operation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Had booked with Mehedi a few weeks in advance a one-hour camel ride into the desert, the full-day jeep tour and one night in the camp. All of the communication before my trip was spot-on, and he even offered me a chance to join others on the tour if I could arrive one day earlier (as I was travelling alone and had checked that wouldn't mind sharing, the cost being lower then).

Was met by one of Mehedi's guides at the Rest House in the village and the welcome was very good. Got into the desert on camels and the guide for this part of the trip was a very friendly (if not a great English-speaker though) older bedouin gentleman.

Then was met in the desert by my guide for the jeep tour for the day Faisal. Me being alone we managed to breeze through pretty much all of the sights in the desert on the list. Faisal cooked us lunch in the afternoon in the desert; pulled up to a sheltered spot and made a fire and some bean stew.

Mehedi employs a lot of guides and most days probably has a lot of groups going on at the same time. Travelling alone I probably got the short-end of the stick - which was the only small minus of the whole experience. Faisal wasn't really talkative and his English not really that passable either. Thus he just drove me to the sights, gave a very short description and then left me alone. Some of the other guides (like the younger guy who met me in the morning and was accompanying a Swiss family) were absolutely fabulous, spoke good English and very engaged with the guests.

So a little bit luck of the draw which guide you get.

The camp itself was a lot better than I expected. The communal tent, the experience with all the other guests, drinking tea, eating a wonderful BBQ dinner, the bedouin guys singing and playing the lute. The younger guide I mentioned earlier took charge in keeping everyone entertained and made the evening fabulous.

The stars... wow. With no light pollution for miles the sky looks amazing at night. And then to sleep in the tents which were also better than expected. Carpeted flat floors, decent cots and a lot of blankets to keep warm (it probably dropped around to 5C at night).

The toilets are clean and everything functional. Just remember to bring a torch (or make sure your mobile has enough juice and a torch app!) because there's no electrical lights outside and inside the tents only for a short while.

Breakfast is really basic - pretty much just bread & water. So if you're thinking of a long day the day after maybe bring something to eat with you just in case.

Thanks to Mehedi and all the crew for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matti L
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I must first start by saying that I am not much of a camper; however this experience has changed my feelings on camping for the better!! I loved every moment that I was out in the desert! My husband and I stayed 2 nights at Mehedi's camp and I was so sad to leave!
We stayed in December so yes it was chilly (I do not like to be cold) but the blankets and fire kept me plenty warm.
Our first day we had a jeep tour with Eid-this was the most fun I had had in a very long time! I laughed so much during the day! At night in the common area the tea, food and company was great!
The second day was a camel trek! Our guide was fantastic and I loved seeing everything at a slower pace.
Bedouin tea will now be a staple at my home!
Thank you so much for a wonderful experience! I hope to return soon!

• Stayed December 2013