“Great care and experience”
Review of Bedouin Directions

and 1 more site!
Bedouin Directions
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I went travelling in Jordan with a friend, we both girls so we felt a little unsure of staying in the desert with a male guide was a good idea. we couldnt be more wrong!! Our guide introduced by Mehedi was such a nice, caring guy, we spent the whole 2 days together, he cooked for us in the dessert , stayed in the camp and made sure we always had pleny of beduin tea provided (whish we loved and now making it at home). As for the trip and experience, it was faboulous!! Wadi Rum itself is a beautiful place, and guide did a great job :) Also communication beforehand was efficient and he was able to answer all of our questions via email.
You are doing a great job!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Wadi Rum If you want to experience the desert in authentic Bedouin manner, then Bedouin Direction is the camp to choose. Here is why: Owner Mehedi al-Hewaitaat is a sharp, young Bedouin working hard to build a good business in a remote area with limited options and in a business (tourism) where reputation is paramount. He is constantly making sure all guests feel welcome, are comfortable, hydrated, fed, and warm on cool nights. Wonderful evening dinner with hot tea, and Bedouin musician around the camp fire inside the community tent—holds 25±. Great authentic Bedouin atmosphere. We planned a full day camel ride into the desert, but my wife’s hip began to hurt. Mehedi immediately brought a jeep and driver to replace the camel and provide private touring. Our Bedouin guide prepared hot and tasty tomato soup for lunch, from sliced tomatoes and cooked over the fire he made in the desert. Mehedi responds immediately to e-mails with clear choices about how to spend your time and at what cost (very fair prices). He is also one-stop shop – Mehedi arranged for taxi to take us from Petra to Wadi Rum and for a taxi to take us from Wadi Rum to AMM. The two different taxis and drivers were very clean, with nearly new sedans, comfortable and spacious. Both drivers spoke perfect English, wanted to help in any way, and were just as pleasant as you would want. This is a no hassle experience—by anyone at any time for anything. Do understand this is a Bedouin camp—clean, running cold water, four outside WCs, and separate tents for sleeping. Very clean and safe camp. If you want separate soap/pillow case, bring it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had been at this camp, in Wadi Rum, Jordan, in the last new years day. We drove from Aqaba to Wadi Rum Village, were we meet Mehedi, the owner of the camp. Then we had a 30 minutes camel driving, with a guide, which was pleasant and meet our guide at Lawrence Springs, called Nadia. And we started our day trip in a Jeep, and passed through many places inside Wadi Rum National Park. We had lunch in the desert cooked by our guide, which was great. At the end of the day we went to the camp, where we ware accommodated in a nice tent and had dinner in a big tent, with the other guests. Some Bedouin food, Cook for 3 hours inside the sand, and was great. In the next day morning the guide drove us back to the village.
Important to tell this was a fantastic experience, one of the best I ever had. If you go to Israel, or Jordan to see Petra, this is a must. And sincerely, Bedouin Directions is the place you have to stay, cause the communication before was absolutely fantastic, they answer our emails very fast, everything they said was true, the staff was fantastic people. The place where the camp is installed is fantastic cause its in the middle of some rocks and protect against the cold winter wind. Friendly people, very well organized, clean, and the desert is a experience everybody must have.

Room Tip: Its a tent, so theres not to much choice
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was my second visit to Mehedi's camp and looking at other recent reviews I can see that I am not alone in being impressed with the camp and more importantly the people that run it.
Prior to my visit there was a series of friendly emails between myself and my hosts to set everything up followed by phone calls when I met up with two other travellers who wanted to see Wadi Rum, they came with me and were immediately accommodated and the itinerary adjusted to suit at very short notice - well done and thank you - the ladies enjoyed their brief stay very much.
I enjoyed a camel ride to the camp which took about three hours and was entertained by Ahmed, my guide riding his camel standing on the saddle. He's good, very good and a pleasant chap as well. The camp was half empty as January is the quiet season so the evening was whiled away looking at the stars and having some very interesting conversations with some very interesting people sat on a rock by a camp fire looking out over a moonlit desert
Once again, all was very good indeed with the enjoyable company of Mehedis excellent guides and the unforgettable splendour of Wadi Rum which really has to be seen first hand to be appreciated.
Bedouin Directions do not offer luxury accommodation. It is a simple Bedouin Camp out in a desert with warm beds and good, basic food.There is an onus on the guest to plan ahead and pack suitable clothing and equipment to suit the conditions, so sensible clothing, sunglasses and sun tan lotion are necessary.
As far as I am aware, all the guides are real Bedouin of the Howeitat tribe, native to that part of the world. They know the area very well and you are in very good hands when with these people. I can heartily recommend Bedouin Directions to anybody wanting an authentic desert experience. To Mehedi and the team from me - Thank you very much and we will meet again insh'Allah

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank xdanny
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have nothing but good memories of my stay at Bedouin Directions. From the great communication and help to get to Wadi Rum to the two nights at the camp and a whole day off riding a camel, it has been such a rewarding experience, I will most definitely be back at Mehedi's camp next time I am in Jordan.
I have been at Mehedi's camp in mid-january for two nights. I felt taken care of since the beginning, with a good email communication for booking my stay and answer my questions. I was travelling alone from Tel Aviv via Eilat and Mehedi offered to organize a driver for me from the Aqaba border to Wadi Rum. Ahmed, the driver, was a nice fellow and called me right when I was passing the border to ask me where I was and then helped me finding a working ATM in Aqaba before heading to Wadi Rum and meeting the guy that would drive me from the village to the camp. Ask for him to Mehed if you need a ride from the border, or even if you are in Aqaba and do not want to take the bus from there!
I spent the late afternoon walking near the camp and relaxing after the long trip, enjoyed the dinner with the other guests at the camp and ended up sleeping under the most amazing sky, with not a single cloud and filled with stars as I hadn't seen in years.
The day after I spent the whole day riding a camel with Ahmad, my guide for the day. He may not have been fluent in English but we could find ways to make each other understood. He loved taking pictures and being in them so we took tons of great and fun photos together. Time flew and we ended up enjoying the sunset from a great spot Ahmad knew.
The second night I was the only guest in the camp, which gave me the chance of discussing for hours with Mehed about culture, society, wars and religion. We did not agree on much but I promised to go back and continue our conversations :).
The weather in winter can be very cold (a few days before my arrival it had snowed in Petra and even in Wadi Rum) and the winds can be at times strong so do your homework and bring with you a lot of layers of clothing.
You are booking to live in a Bedouin Camp, not in a hotel. The food will be simple (flavours in Jordan kitchen are not strong) and the toilets are very basic, just like the beds. But the covers are many and warm, which is a good thing as the second night, even if I slept in the tent, the wind was blowing and it was really cold outside. If you are looking for comfort do not head for Wadi Rum and then complain about the lack of it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank DreySweden
Reviewed January 30, 2013

In december 2012 we once again visited Wadi Rum and stayed at Mahedi's Camp.

Great hospitality, service and friendliness. We love the desert and Mahedi helped us make another great trip of walking and jeeping with the best guide in Wadi Rum named Raad (also the best driver). The camp is clean and organised and you will love the food.

We are a fmily from Holland with 2 young kids 6 and 10.
Woul definately recommend this camp and operator for your 1st or second or like us 3rd trip to Wadi Rum.

Enjoy the desert!!

Room Tip: They are all great
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had previously visited Jordan in 2011, but had hardly spent any time in Wadi Rum. On my planned return to Jordan in 2012 with by brother, we wanted to be completely cut off from the London life as well as spending lots of time outdoors, experiencing Wadi Rum. On emailing Mehedi (I found the website via Google), he promptly emailed back, taking the time to fully understand our preferences and requirements for the trek. Mehedi came back with a range of options, and was extremely helpful in tailoring the trip to meet our needs.

Though we found our own way there (Mehedi had offered to organise our transport), we were met by our guides for the week, and then around 3.30pm promptly set off across the desert. 2-3 hours later we arrived at the first camp, which was the only night we would sleep in a tent! We had a fantastic dinner of traditional Jordanian fare, followed by great sleep (the silence of the desert was so refreshing!).

The next day we set off to commence a 6-7 hour trek (we kept on asking to go the 'longer' route to our guide's disbelief) through brilliant scenery - the long hikes giving room for reflection. Because on arrival, I was not feeling 100%, our guide sorted me out with medecine and rehydration packs, as well as arranging a jeep to take me that first morning.

Mehedi was in touch with our guide twice a day, checking our progress and if we needed anything extra. The food that was arranged was excellent, my brother and I were always completely full with delicious food every night!

I would absolutely recommend Bedouin Directions for their great levels of service and customization. It is so completely tailored that I am positive they could sort out a great holiday no matter what your taste.

Room Tip: sleep under the stars! ask to go up a mountain for sunrise...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends