“An unforgettable desert experience”
Review of Bedouin Directions

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wadi Rum
Bedouin Directions
Reviewed January 20, 2012

The highlight of my trip to Jordan.

On a stop-off during a 4 hour camel trek we visited Khazali Canyon with beautiful Nabatean carvings. Arriving at the camp just after sunset we ate amazing food (v accommodating - catering for vegetarians) and Tasir gave me an Oud lesson before lots of dancing and singing :)

The second day after a jeep trek at break-neck speed we climbed Um Ad Dami, the highest peak in Jordan with views of Saudia Arabia. After, we drank lots of Bedouin tea and ate the best humous and baba ganoush I think I have ever tasted.

Mehedi and team are lovely people and wonderful hosts. I would heartily recommend Bedouin Directions to anyone. When can I go back?!

Room Tip: Although they will provide plenty of blankets, we were pleased we brought our sleeping bags. January...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank happyeater
There are newer reviews for Bedouin Directions

Reviewed January 16, 2012

We are families the The Hague, Holland. We spent 2 days with Mehedi's group (Bedouin Directions) in Wadi Ram in January 2012. From the moment we arrived in Wadi Rum is was welcome, great service and most important friendliness.

Mahedi welcomes you personally at his house and explains the trip you have planned with him. The jeeps were absolutely fine for our group ages 6 to 70. The guides spoke great English and answered our every question about desert, bedouin life and Jordan. In one day we saw so many aspects of the desert from sand dunes to canyons to roccky outcrops.

The food was delicious and the lunch spot carefully planned so we had a great view of the desert. The guides and a special mention for Raad were super friendly, happy and fun. The even joined in with ou kids jumping off sand dunes at sunset.

Mahedi's camp is well situated in a rock nook in a quiet remote part of the Wadi Ram reserve. The evening had bedouin entertainment, tea, dancing and bedouin style cooked food. The area around is nice for walking and no guide is realy needed. Mahedi came to see how we were doing and even organized a last minute camel ride back to the Ram village for part of the group. A memory I will not forget is Raad one of the guides patiently playing a Bedouin sand game with my 6 year old son for more than an hour.

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and for ths reason chose Mahedi - all our expectations were fulfilled and we will return in April for another desert experience with Mahedi for sure.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Bedouin experience from it's heart. 1st day driving through the desert. Warm welcome from Mehedi Saleh Al-Hewaitaat. My wife started crying right at the beginning because she was not prepared to this hospitality. Actually, I can't explain why. I thought - this is going to be a strange experience. However, the guide showed us the best spots in the desert driving around with the jeep. We could stop wherever we wanted and experience the surroundings as long we wanted. The day ended sitting on a rock and watching the sunset. We spend the nights in a bedouin tent with music and lots of fun and good food (well, I was not able to eat with my RIGHT hand, because I'm left handed and so I ended eating the dinner with a spoon).

2nd day we did a 3h camel ride (including the guide riding). My wife rode the camel like hell and the guide (Teysir) and I tried to follow her. This was definitely a unique experience as you feel sooo small alone in the desert with your "rented" camel. I think that it is better when the guide can ride a camel as well, as we all move faster and smoother and all are on the same level. I wouldn't enjoy sitting on a camel seeing the guide walking in the desert sand beside me. I don't even know why the Bedouins provide this.

I definitely recommend doing this as it was by far the best thing we did in our stay in Jordan.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David K
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I enjoyed my first trip to Mehedi's camp so much, I returned just a week later with other friends! The communication prior to the trip was great, and he offered detailed options with price breakdowns for everything. Once in Wadi Rum, we took a camel trek to the camp, which must be the best way to see the desert. We spent the night in the camp, where we had amazing food and listened to beautiful music. There was also an option for a night-time walk in the desert, which is a must - it's incredible by starlight. I don't think you'd be able to beat the friendliness of Mehedi and his team, so if you want the real experience of Bedouin hospitality, you should give them a go.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2012

No trip to Jordan could be complete without a trip to Wadi Rum with Bedouin Directions. Mehedi quickly responded to our email inquiring about a stay in the camp and accomodating vegetarians. We told him we would be arriving by the bus and he just asked we contact him so he could meet us at the village on time. Two months later we boarded a bus from our hotel in Wadi Musa (near Petra) and were on our way. En route to the village we realized we forgot to call Mehedi - we did not have a phone with us so we asked the bus driver if he could call for us. But there was no need to worry - Mehedi aware of our arrival had already called the bus driver - so organized!!

We were met in the village and brought to Mehedi's residence were we sipped on tea and then jumped into a jeep for a tour and hike. We climbed sand dunes, scrambled up rocks to an arch, and hiked/climbed to a ridge of mountains bordering Saudi Arabia were we saw some gazelles. Our guide cooked us a heavenly lunch in the middle of the desert. We watched the sunset and were brought back to a blissful camp tucked away in the desert. Our stay was in December and I worried about the cold - but the tents were so warm, we did not need to bring all the layers we did. That night, Mehedi and his fellow bedouin family played the oud while singing and dancing - the experience was magical - and then we saw the night's sky, which only elevated the magic of the night. Following a quiet sunrise and tasty breakfast they made sure we were back in the village in time to catch the morning bus.

Our only regret is that we did not have more time- one night was just not enough. Mehedi and his entire bedouin family were friendly, skilled, accomodated our vegetarian diet and made sure we were beyond comfortable. If your travel schedule allows, we HIGHLY recommend that you stay MORE than one night at this camp. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Staying with Mehedi at his Bedouin camp was one of the highlights of me and my girlfriends trip to Jordan. We did a day jeep tour first seeing all the main sights of Wadi Rum - it was cool sitting on the back of a jeep wizzing through the red sandy desert. We then pulled into the camp - it was exactly what we wanted. It is in a secluded circular canyon. We had our own tent with traditional carpets plus there is a cool lounge room type tent for socialising with a wood oven in the middle. We sat around listen to music and chatting into the evening.
When I travel I love food - I keep telling friends about the lamb meatballs with the touch of cinnamon we had camping here, probably the dish of the trip.
The next day we did a camel tour back to the village which again was awesome as you would be walking in total silence across the desert.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Mehedi and his crew definately delivers what you expect from a desert trip. From the inside knowledge of all the nooks and crannies, to the humble muslim behaviour in the camp and cleanliness overall. We took the jeep tour and one night in the camp, with beautiful breathtaking sunset and sunrise views.

Good and fast response to availability and everything agreed upon was met.

Room Tip: Hehe, help to choose a room? There's two different tents, thats the choice :-)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family