“Great experience with Obeid as guide”

Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp
Barcelona, Spain
“Great experience with Obeid as guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

Having just arrived from a trip to Jordan, I am already missing being there again. Liked Petra and the desert a lot but the best thing in Jordan are its people: warm, friendly, with a great sense of humor. We were two females traveling independently and we enjoyed the experience. The highlight of the trip was the full day spent in the desert, with our guide, Obeid, which we find due to recommendations in TripAdvisor and found his page on the internet called WadiRumTrips. He sent a driver to pick us up at 10 am from our hotel in Wadi Musa (he came exactly at 10) and take us near the Visitor Center of Wadi Rum, where we met him. It was the best option for us as the bus that makes this route leaves Wadi Musa around 6 am, much too early for me.
There, we had a light lunch (delicious tuna salad and bread) prepared by one of Obeid´s sons at his camp. I read various comments in TripAdvisor and some travelers debated on where Obeid´s camp is: Wadi Rum or Disi village so I confirm that the camp is inside Wadi Rum protected are – from there we started our jeep safari in a brand new, clean and air conditioned car. Obeid was a wonderful guide-we made him talk about his life (we knew he is married to an European woman and traveled to Europe quite often). He told us he retired from the police force and now was running his own business venture in Wadi Rum. He took us to all the interesting places in the desert, some of them not even o my list and we finished the trip watching the sunset over the mountains. It was so relaxing and so good. After, we went again to his camp where Obeid invited us for dinner. It was not in our plans but we accepted his invitation. The camp is nice, Bedouin style, with tents of different sizes, mattresses, pillows, blankets… everything one needs to have a good night sleep. There is also space for travelers to put their own tent if they want to. The bathroom facilities are extremely clean, with toilets, showers, warm water, mirrors, sinks. I also saw functioning light bulbs! While waiting for the food and for other people to arrive, we were entertained and served with Bedouin coffee and tea. Dinner was delicious, it included grilled chicken, rice, potatoes, salad, bread, sparkling soft drinks based on caffeine and oranges. There was a group of 15 people from about 7 countries and 3 continents, talking about where we came from, what we saw in Jordan, where should we go next… We met some of Obeid´s family: his elder sons that help him with the tourists, his brother, two very polite and very young nieces (age 5 and 3)… We had the chance to see how the family members behave among themselves, helpful, polite, protective, looking after one another, especially after the little ones… I felt so good being there with them, so peaceful. At one moment, a little desert bug was walking towards the fire made on the floor in the middle of the tent. Obeid´s brother put it carefully in his palm and took it out of the tent, saying it was “haram” for the bug to die… I was thinking that other people would have just stepped on it without a second thought. Obeid asked us where we would be going next and upon hearing our destination was Aqaba, he told us he can arrange for a taxi from Wadi Rum. We accepted the offer (the price was ok, plus it enabled us to decide when we wanted to leave and avoid being at the mercy of a bus schedule or hitchhike). Again the driver was on time (are these guys Swiss or what?) and we went to Aqaba in a nice, clean, air-conditioned car. Before we separated from Obeid, he told us that if we need anything, we can call him again and so we did because we did not know how to get from Aqaba to our hotel near the Dead Sea. He arranged for a driver to take us and the price was good. I checked it with other cab drivers and at the hotel, and from what I knew before arriving in Jordan, it was correct, not to mentioned that we already knew Obeid and we trusted him after spending so much time in the desert. Although Jordan is a very safe country to travel, I preferred to go with a recommended driver. And guess what, he arrived at the exact our! He was also very nice, polite and respectful. Although I don´t remember his name, I know it starts with F.
I am glad I met Obeid, he is a great person, a wonderful guide, knows exactly what we wanted and the overall feeling I had during the time I spent with him was being safe, spoiled and taken care of. It was one of the best days of our trip and I recommend everyone who goes to Jordan to go to Wadi Rum and stay for at least one night to experience the hospitality and the warmth of the people in the desert. It is simply something that money can´t buy. And please hug Obeid for me.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Consuela_28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hamburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at Obeids camp. It was a amazing experience. We met in Obeid and his family wonderful and upmost hospitable people. The atmosphere was unique, like being part of a big family. We enjoyed beautiful moments in the desert. Unforgettable the camel rides in the sunset and the great jeep tour with Obeid the best singing tour guide we could imagine. Perfect location of the camp with lovely food and romantic accommodation. As it is a small camp with very private and individual service, it is not expensive at all. A fantastic place to stay we would definitely recommend. Thank you Obeid, and family for the unforgettable time. Michael + Evelyn

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mcshot
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

My friend did all the bookings, but I had found Obeid online via Tripadvisor and suggested it to my friend. We eventually booked and were worried about Obeid not being there (due to the one poor review). We were met by Nail (Nah-eel), Obeid's son, and found out that indeed Obeid was out of the country. Nail took us in his 20-yr-old toyota truck out to the camp, where we embarked on a full day camel trek that my friend had booked (not something I would do again, although it was not half as bad as I was expecting). Our guide was not conversational, you can't get very far on camels, and there was is pretty fair distance to cross before the sights change out in the desert. Lunches consisted of pita, canned tuna in oil, tomatoes and cucumber and, of course, a very sweet tea. They have tea with every meal and in between meals! I think they use any excuse to stop near some gigantic rock and start a fire to brew their tea. Our dinner was fun, and there was only three of us in the camp that night so it made it very intimate. Salem (not sure of the spelling) was the other brother and he helped with dinner. The uncle joined us for dinner, and times were definitely akward but we managed. The next morning we took a full day jeep tour and it was by far the best adventure ever! Nail was a great guide and we had so much fun sitting on the wood benches in the back of his truck while he sped over sand dunes and smiled at us in his side mirror. The uncle got a hold of us on our return for lunch and we managed to escape for a short walk before Nail came back to pick us up again. Our large tent was great, and it was amazingly quite and peacful - enjoyed the sunrise sitting on a rock in camp.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank alimariew
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

We spend two nights and one full day in the desert camp of Obied Naser and it was truly the highlight of our trip to Jordan! Mr Obied introduced us to the true Jordan hospitality as did his son and brother. We went on a full day trip with Nail, the son of mr Obied. He showed us around the whole protected area in the morning and in the afternoon even more of the whole Wadi Rum area during which we had sunset-tea on the spot! Another night under the stars after an excellent bbq chicken us being the only ones in the camp. If you look for a great place to stay and experience the true Jordan culture and surroundings, this is the place and the people you are looking for!

1 Thank Edith D
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I stayed at Obeid's Bedouin Camp in the Wadi Rum Protected Area for one overnight, and Obeid also arranged all of my transportation to and from the airport in Amman, and to and from Petra. He met me at the airport and was a charming host and companion on the 3 hour drive to Petra where I stayed in a hotel and explored the site. He helped me get checked in at my hotel, and then arranged to pick me up at a time of my choosing the following day.

Obeid had a death in his family that night and so he sent a friend/driver Subi to meet me at my Petra Hotel the next day. Despite his limited English, we managed to have a very pleasant drive down to Wadi Rum and Obeid then met me there to take me personally out to his camp. I have seen postings on the Wadi Rum forum claiming that Obeid's camp is not in the protected area, but this is misinformation. He has a house outside the protected area but his camp is WITHIN the protected area.

I was blown away by the beauty of the area and the quiet and remoteness of his camp. You could hear a pin drop in a sand dune! Guests can choose between sleeping in the larger traditional tent with Obeid and his sons or a smaller, individual tent, which was what I selected. His son Nile then took me on a 4 hour desert jeep tour to see all the surrounding sights, and experience an amazing sunset, and then we returned to the camp for dinner.

The night's accommodations included a lunch of salads, fruit, pita bread and delicious tea served in the main tent by the fire pit, as well as a traditional style dinner of chicken, vegetables and rice cooked in a huge pot buried in the sand. There was tea and cake as well, and a breakfast of eggs, salads, fruit, tea and bread in the morning

My tent was completely lined with mats on the floor, and I had a double-sized mattress with ample and comfortable bedding and pillows, as a gas lantern. It was a cold night, but I was completely comfortable for sleeping and it was hard to make myself go inside the tent because the night sky was so amazing. There is a nearby building (140 paces from the tent... I counted!) with flush toilets, sinks, and showers, and though it took a little while, the water did get comfortably warm for my morning shower. Obeid himself then drove me back to Amman airport in plenty of time to make my flight.

In sum, if you are wanting the comforts and amenities of a hotel, this is probably not for you. If, however, you want to experience a glimpse of Bedouin life with a very comfortable camping experience and an attentive and likable host, do not miss the chance to stay at Obeid's camp. While I was there, Obeid won an award from Citigroups for the success of his business and it is well deserved. He is a gem!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Matt D
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

Like the other reviewers, we had a good experience staying with Mr. Obeid. Many people seem to think that his camp is outside the protected area but it is - I saved my GPS coordinates : N29.62903 E35.48679. Took a 4hr 4WD trip in his air-conditioned truck and felt sorry for the other tourists we saw in the open-air uncovered ones. Attached pictures show his camp. It's not a five-star stay but hey you're in the middle of the desert so adjust your expectations accordingly and you'll have a good time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ph00kie
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

Ive always wanted to go out in the desert, stay in a camp and this met all our expectations, no electric or any mod cons, although there is hot water and showers, all kept spotlessly clean. Obeid is great and his 2 sons are very welcoming as well as being very good hosts. The food is great and the location stunning. One small tip; bring a torch but then again its more fun navigating without one! Obeid arranged everything for us, from pick up in Amman, horse riding in the desert with a very knowledgable and caring local stables and eventually dropping us off at Aqaba. Would highly recommend and would certainly come back and do it again. Its a social experience with everyone eating together and sharing stories round the campfire. Oh yes and the company of the fellow traveller was most memorable - you know who you are disaster matt lol

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple