“A Unique Experience of Bedouin Life” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp

and 1 more site!
Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp
San Francisco, California
“A Unique Experience of Bedouin Life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I stayed at Obeid's Bedouin Camp in the Wadi Rum Protected Area for one overnight, and Obeid also arranged all of my transportation to and from the airport in Amman, and to and from Petra. He met me at the airport and was a charming host and companion on the 3 hour drive to Petra where I stayed in a hotel and explored the site. He helped me get checked in at my hotel, and then arranged to pick me up at a time of my choosing the following day.

Obeid had a death in his family that night and so he sent a friend/driver Subi to meet me at my Petra Hotel the next day. Despite his limited English, we managed to have a very pleasant drive down to Wadi Rum and Obeid then met me there to take me personally out to his camp. I have seen postings on the Wadi Rum forum claiming that Obeid's camp is not in the protected area, but this is misinformation. He has a house outside the protected area but his camp is WITHIN the protected area.

I was blown away by the beauty of the area and the quiet and remoteness of his camp. You could hear a pin drop in a sand dune! Guests can choose between sleeping in the larger traditional tent with Obeid and his sons or a smaller, individual tent, which was what I selected. His son Nile then took me on a 4 hour desert jeep tour to see all the surrounding sights, and experience an amazing sunset, and then we returned to the camp for dinner.

The night's accommodations included a lunch of salads, fruit, pita bread and delicious tea served in the main tent by the fire pit, as well as a traditional style dinner of chicken, vegetables and rice cooked in a huge pot buried in the sand. There was tea and cake as well, and a breakfast of eggs, salads, fruit, tea and bread in the morning

My tent was completely lined with mats on the floor, and I had a double-sized mattress with ample and comfortable bedding and pillows, as a gas lantern. It was a cold night, but I was completely comfortable for sleeping and it was hard to make myself go inside the tent because the night sky was so amazing. There is a nearby building (140 paces from the tent... I counted!) with flush toilets, sinks, and showers, and though it took a little while, the water did get comfortably warm for my morning shower. Obeid himself then drove me back to Amman airport in plenty of time to make my flight.

In sum, if you are wanting the comforts and amenities of a hotel, this is probably not for you. If, however, you want to experience a glimpse of Bedouin life with a very comfortable camping experience and an attentive and likable host, do not miss the chance to stay at Obeid's camp. While I was there, Obeid won an award from Citigroups for the success of his business and it is well deserved. He is a gem!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Matt D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

Like the other reviewers, we had a good experience staying with Mr. Obeid. Many people seem to think that his camp is outside the protected area but it is - I saved my GPS coordinates : N29.62903 E35.48679. Took a 4hr 4WD trip in his air-conditioned truck and felt sorry for the other tourists we saw in the open-air uncovered ones. Attached pictures show his camp. It's not a five-star stay but hey you're in the middle of the desert so adjust your expectations accordingly and you'll have a good time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Ph00kie
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

Ive always wanted to go out in the desert, stay in a camp and this met all our expectations, no electric or any mod cons, although there is hot water and showers, all kept spotlessly clean. Obeid is great and his 2 sons are very welcoming as well as being very good hosts. The food is great and the location stunning. One small tip; bring a torch but then again its more fun navigating without one! Obeid arranged everything for us, from pick up in Amman, horse riding in the desert with a very knowledgable and caring local stables and eventually dropping us off at Aqaba. Would highly recommend and would certainly come back and do it again. Its a social experience with everyone eating together and sharing stories round the campfire. Oh yes and the company of the fellow traveller was most memorable - you know who you are disaster matt lol

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emma987
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2009

I truly recommend the services offered by Obeid and his son (Nail) whether you choose a day trip and or an overnight stay. They are extremely welcoming (as are all Bedouins I have met as well as Jordanians in general). They have much first hand knowledge of the area and are great guides.

I truly recommend Obeid and or his son who will make your experience an unforgettable one for all the right reasons :-)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
East in the morning west in the afternoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

An afternoon camel ride from the village to the camp, a delicious oven-cooked dinner, nice chat around the fire and great 4x4 ride in the morning. At this time of the year, the weather was perfect for such a journey.
Obeid's humour and excellent English made our night stay in wadi rum a unforgettable moment.
One thing to know though, wadi rum is a different desert experience than Sinai bedouin camps. You share dinner with fellow tourists and you sleep all together in one large tent or under the stars if weather allows. It is not a retreat... but can still be very enjoyable.
Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Papalagoui
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor we spent one night and then came back for another night after deciding that 3 nights in aqaba was more than enough and we had not experienced Wadi Rum enough and had really enjoyed the one night we stayed at Obeid's camp. The first night we stayed was just before an inspection that would take place the following day so the camp was very clean and in good working order. The camp is made up of 3 larger bedouin style tents and 4 smaller tents (but still large enough to stand in and can accomodate 4 persons easily) that are located a small walking disatance away from the main tents which gives some extra privacy (and is recommended to request to stay in). The sons and uncle were extremely hospitable (for instance offering lunch if you were hungry, serving tea all the time (whatch your sugar intake!) and it is all included in the price). We had 2 great nights sitting around the camp fire chatting with them. The camp is located in the desert in a secluded area and is completely peaceful with no other camp nearby. Both times we stayed there were only 2 other guests, which Obeid and family seem to prefer as they like to keep it small (but they can cater for big groups as they had a large group saying there after we left). They told us there are around 25 camps in the desert, of which 15 are operational (but not all are clean and service friendly). Food was good, we had Zarb for both nights. They can arrange all kinds of jeep trips and pick you up from the visitor centre (which is a 10-15 minute drive away). Wadi Rum is worth a stay of 2 nights and one full day should do the trick for most. If you like camping I have no reason not to recommend this place. Bring a towel, they did not provide one. They did provide clean bedsheets and blankets. I did not find the visitor centre that helpful (prices are also higher than elsewhere) and had booked my trip ahead with Obeid which is advisable. I would advise doing the jeep trip through them as all the tours seem to be the same anyway (sma ecars etc) and this way you will be dropped off at your camp and you know that the guide (the son) speaks english.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sebbie33
Porto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

Our trip to Jordan was not easy, some obstacles were encountered and there were some difficulties that at that time I Thought we were not able to overcome.

Anyhow we had luck and we were able to get in touch with this fantastic person called Obeid.

Obeid was our guide, driver, teacher, host and above all friend.
Jordan without this help, tips and advises would not be the same.

With him we managed to see so much in too little time.... and his camp ....it's a breath taking experience...Unbelievable

I truly recommend Obeid, not only Wadi rum Obeid's Camp, but also his guiding capabilities throughout Jordan

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple