“Fantastic hospitality and magical place”

and 1 more site!
Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fantastic hospitality and magical place”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I Highly recommend Obeid´s Bedouin Life Camp, I was there twice with my friends, and every time it has been unforgettable experience! Obeid and his sons took good care of us by all means, arranged tours for us in the desert , took us to magical places where no other can find. Obeid took us to Petra a whole day trip with his comfortable new 4-wheel drive and stayed with us the whole day. They cooked food for us at the Camp it was delecious. Obeid can arrange any package tourfor you in Jordan and even airport transfer. He picked us and drove drove us back to Queen Alia Aiport.
A trip to Wadi is a must the place will touch you by its magic,the desert is simply amazing.
Thanks Obeid and Sons we are coming back next year, see you soon guys.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had such a great time at Obeid's camp in Wadi Rum. Obeid's brother and sons were very welcoming hosts and we were thrilled with all aspects of our trip. They were very attentive to making sure we had a great experience and tailored activities exactly to meet our interests. I will definitely recommend that my friends go there in the future. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Be sure to make time in your Jordan travels to stay explore Wadi Rum and when you do stay with Obeid's family at Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp.

Our family (my husband and myself and our three adult children) spent an afternoon, overnight and morning with Obeid's family in Wadi Rum in mid-June 2013.

We were picked up at a rest stop on the main road and began our journey into the desert and beautiful rock formations that comprise the landscape of Wadi Rum. We arrived in the late afternoon after the heat of the day. The air was clear and the rock formations were golden as we rode in the 4x4 through the desert to Obeid's camp.

The camp is small and far from the main road (we passed several large encampments on our way). It is run by Obeid and his sons who are all wonderful hosts. The tents are large and contain a bed on the floor and a gas lamp for heat and light. The delicious dinner was prepared by Obeid's sons - cooked in large pots buried in the sand. Afterward's they served us tea while we sat around a fire and watched the stars.

My husband and I slept very comfortably in the tent. Our children slept outdoors under the stars. Obeid's sons brought our childrens' mattresses and bedding out for them near the campfire. They fell asleep under the stars. I am sorry we didn't join them.

In the morning, we took a one hour camel ride out from the camp. Its a great experience - the camels' gait is stately and they often reach to snack on the sparse vegetation. Its give you a perfect contemplative exploration of the Wadi Rum desert landscape. We returned to camp for a breakfast of hummus, labne, olives and pita along with tea.

Later in the morning we took the faster version of touring Wadi Rum - a two hour 4x4 jeep tour (note - you sit on benches in the open back of the jeep). We saw more amazing rock formations.

Back in camp once again, we were offered more tea and set off for Petra. Obeid's son drove us to the gas station meeting place on the main road and a driver Obeid had arranged drove us to Petra. (Obeid had also arranged for us to be picked up by a driver in Eilat.)

In sum, our visit to Wadi Rum was wonderful and Obeid's family were perfect hosts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lorilander
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I tried Obeid's camp several times, it is the best! Obeid is a great and kind host! I highly recommend his camp. His camp gives the real Bedouin experience, it is quiet, environmental friendly and clean. Obeid is a nice Bedouin who is not corrupted with the tourism industry! I go to his camp every year and I will keep going. I recommended him to several of my friends and they all thanked me after!

Room Tip: Sleep next to the fire, it is the best! :-)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 9, 2013

For the past 7 years I spend average 6 days at Obeid's camp yearly. I tried several camps in the area; but at Obeid's, one can experience the real Bedouin life. It is natural, clean, ecofriendly & managed with great hospitality and kindness

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I took my father for two nights in Obeid's camp. It was such a memorable experience - the beautiful landscape enhanced by Obeid and his family's warmth and knowledge. I would recommend Obeid's camp without reservation - he provided a range of activities to explore the Wadi and was helpful and informative.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here just for one day (~24 hours) in a whirlwind 9 day trip through Jordan in late June, and we were extremely happy we chose this camp, based on its TripAdvisor reviews. Obeid's eldest son picked us up at the Wadi Rum visitor center, took us to the camp, where we sat in the shade for the hottest part of the day eating and drinking mint tea with Obeid's three sons. We later took a 4 hour jeep tour through the area (which seemed the right length of time to me--I wouldn't recommend less than 3 hours at least). Lovely scenery. We came back around sunset, which was beautiful, and had a great meal made by Obeid's second son, who I understand is the general camp cook.

While we were there, there was just one other couple (Princey71, who I see has already reviewed..), so it was the four of us for Obeid's three sons. There was a family wedding of a niece the next day, so we never actually met Obeid, but his sons were great hosts in his stead.

I actually wouldn't necessarily recommend sleeping outside, lots of mosquitos and wind, and we woke when the startlingly-bright moon came up on the horizon about 1am, after which we moved inside. But! To each his/her own.

I think it's probably a different experience if you go during the busiest season, but for us it was a very personable experience. If we're ever back in the area (and I hope to be!) we'll stay here again, probably for two or three days just to relax. It is a bit expensive (~42 JD pp per day for full room and board), but on the other hand, if it's a possibly once-in-a-lifetime experience, why skimp on quality to save 5 JD in a cheaper, larger camp?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple